Change in the tax law does target expats living in Thailand and extends reporting obligations

webfact

6 minutes ago, JimboB4 said:

That’s not true they can’t tax income from overseas being deposited into a bank account I’ve already verified this 

Only Doom & Gloom moonhowlers on the other thread were getting their knickers in a twist claiming that overseas remmitances would be taxed by the receiving bank.

The Thai RD can certainly tax income from overseas that lands in a bank account in Thailand.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, khunpa said:

Well no matter what any transfers into the country, could involve a risk of you having to prove where the money comes from.

So in theory you could face a nightmare in having to prove your transfer was already taxed.

Of course in practical terms the RD-Officer will properly just as for an envelope for your new problem to “go away”.

I wish I could share your optimism. 

Everyone said covid will be used to reset the economy seem they were right. 

• Thumbs Up 1

they can if it hasn't already been taxed, or if its been taxed at a lower rate than would be applicable in Thailand, indeed if you live here over 180 days they have first dibs on your tax and its up to you to reclaim / offset from your home country if you have also paid there

20 minutes ago, JimboB4 said:

That’s not true they can’t tax income from overseas being deposited into a bank account I’ve already verified this 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crazykopite said:

Thailand has tax agreement with many countries including my country the U.K. and as my tax is taken out at source every month by HMRC I won’t be obliged to pay tax on my U.K. pensions in Thailand if they try then I will up sticks and move to the Philippines spending 6 months there and six months in Thailand 

Make it 7 months Philippines, 5 months Thailand and you should get your UK State Pension unfrozen, if you're getting one.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

The shallow ineptitude, greed, lack of foresight, innovation and responsibility of this country is astounding. Always dreaming up another stupid new scheme to pick the pockets of others not responsible and bite the hands that feed it.

Hear, hear

• Thumbs Up 2

the world getting harder.....

what is with a person ,  living for example on entrystamp or visa 4 month in thai, and another country on temporary residence 6 month and 2 month in diffrent countrys , without beeing a us citizen.  meaning no tax residency

and at foreign banks tell the thai adress , as proof of adress 

last 20 year was the status quo

any implication?? 

3 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

I am not non-resident for tax purpose in Thailand but I am non-resident for tax in the UK. I live in Thailand year round, did I say something that made you think otherwise?

No, I was asking the other 2 guys who said they never spend enough times in a country to become Tax Resident whether this meant they were by default Tax Resident in their home country (I.e. Do you have to be Tax Resident somewhere). 

Can I ask how you're not Tax Resident in Thailand if you live here year round/> 180 days? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

At least 3 items that are missing from these discussions / comments:

- Are basic offshore state pensions subject to Thai personal tax?
- What's the threshold income amount which requires annual reporting and possibly payment of Thai personal tax on offshore state pensions received into Thailand?

- Does a double tax agreement with the country of origin of the pension have any affect (realizing of course that the laws of the sending country cannot be imposed by or on the Thai legal system/processes)?

Agreed! These are the basic questions for many retirees, especially retirees who have married Thai.
As reported so far, this is the kind of murky, ill-defined announcement that will cause a flood of comments, and tons of anguish. (As did the forced medical insurance rule change of a few years ago.) I have no investments and conduct no business. Currently I am well below the amounts that are taxable in the USA. As it is for me, ALL of it goes to my family, helping the local town economy.

This part looks encouraging, but is slippery when viewed midst the overall message of the article.
"The section provides for a 15% tax rate on interest on bonds, deposits or debentures, and capital gains derived from selling shares, debentures, bonds or other financial instruments linked to companies or other juristic partnerships. The legal experts suggested that many investors, including foreigners and Thai people alike, may not be able to easily differentiate for tax purposes between the principal and income of sums moving in and out of the country, which could lead them to be taxed at a rate of 35% and in this way would become an incentive for investors to keep their money out of Thailand to avoid complications with the Revenue Department."

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Can I ask which country you guys are from & whether not being Tax Resident elsewhere means by default you are Tax Resident in your home country. 

The reason I ask is that I plan on doing every 3rd year as a Non-Tax resident in Thailand during which I'll bring in enough money to support me for the next 3 years, BUT I don't want this to mean that I default to becoming tax resident in my home country (UK).

As an aside, the Tax Residency threshold in the UK operates on a sliding scale depending on how long you've been Non-UK Tax Resident & how many "Economic Ties" you have there. I can spend up to 89 days in the UK as I have 2 "Economic Ties" there, but if I had the full (4) "Economic Ties" it would be 45 days as I've been Non-UK Tax Resident for > 3 years & 16 days if I hadn't.

Can you expand on "economic ties" please?

I think it is safe to say in order to be a tax resident you must have a tax ID. You can be a resident in Thailand because you spend most of the year in Thailand, but that alone doesn't make you a tax resident. How to get a tax ID here, first off you should earn income here. The stipulations of Non-imm OA retirement visa and Thailand Elite, both clearly state you cannot work. So unless they start handing out tax IDs, I am not worried. And then even if they did, sure they might know of one overseas account where you send your money from to support yourself in Thailand, but good luck learning about any other accounts. They will have a hard enough time finding the accounts of the smart Thais who have already taken their Baht out Thailand.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

You said: They will enforce it. In fact, the Revenue Department is in the process of hiring 70 Lawyers.. One in each province to assure tax collection.

The ones in Bangkok, Chonburi, Phuket, and other major tourist places will be very busy...

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, samtam said:

Can you expand on "economic ties" please?

Sorry, the correct term is "Family Ties"... 

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/residence-domicile-and-remittance-basis/rdrm11530

I think the Statutory Residency Test explains it better...  

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/residence-domicile-and-remittance-basis/rdrm11500

5 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

As I understand it, and I may well be wrong - double tax agreements don't prevent you from being taxed in Thailand.  My understanding is that if the amount of tax you paid in your home country is less than you would have paid in Thailand - you will have to pay the difference.  That might not be the case in many situations but one group that may well be affected is those on a pension.  For example, if your UK pension is less than the UK tax threshold - which many are, you don't pay tax on it in the UK.  However, even the basic UK pension is over the Thai tax threshold and therefore, according to my understanding and what I've read, it will be taxable if you bring it into Thailand.

Are pension incomes taxed in Thailand 

1 hour ago, JimboB4 said:

Are you saying that they don't have the powers to freeze your bank accounts until such a time that you pay your tax ?

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I believe most people here are safe - for now.

This presumes you are paying tax in other countries.. The vast majority of truly long term expats I know do not.. They have signed out of home countries and no longer file or declare there. 

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Bobthegimp said:

Leave, but to where? 

Didn't we have some big global event around 3 years ago when the governments of the world, despite all of the language and cultural barriers, reached the same conclusions and took the exact same measures in almost perfect lockstep?  Looks like we're getting another taste of it. 

Colombia and Thailand are very disparate cultures on opposite sides of the world, yet are adopting the same tax measures as Western nations.  Let me know if you find a bolt hole to escape this globalist madness and the first drinking binge is on me. 

Colombia and Thailand are very disparate countries to each other, as indeed they are to Hong Kong SAR and Singapore (in terms of tax), and yet the latter 2 have very favourable tax regimes, (as noted by the lawyer in the OP).

3 hours ago, Karma80 said:

I couldn't agree more. Being a tax resident of a place with the lowest tax obligations is a no-brainer and forms part of my own strategy, and thousands of others no doubt. The problem with the RDs new (forced) interpretation is it makes Thailand far less competitive. Nobody wants to live through a learning period in a country with a really poor reputation for bureaucracy, flip-flops, implementation, corruption and policy instability. Not when your tax liability is on the line.

Double taxation agreements or not, I choose not to have to dance through the hoops of fire to prove things to Somchai at the local RD. Anyone living in Thailand can attest that an active avoidance of anything official is the best policy.

I appreciate for many retirees, the impact is next to nothing. But for others who are at a more enterprising point in their life from a business sense, Hong Kong or Singapore are starting to look a lot more attractive from a tax perspective. 

Unfortunately living in either Hong Kong or Singapore would cost you infinitely more in housing and cost of living, than any new tax in Thailand.

• Like 1