Thailand military upgrade: Defense Ministry responds to emerging threats

webfact

1 hour ago, herfiehandbag said:

I will help out - The Royal Military Police are known throughout the army as "monkeys"

It must be a pongo thing as they were called snowdrops (for their white covered SD hats.

I have no idea what the fish heads called their lot.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

aiming for a technologically superior edge to counter emerging security threats.

LOL. US. China. Australia. Japan. Just to name 4 high tech military players in the region. Thailand aims to have technological superiority. You just can't make this stuff up. 

10 hours ago, webfact said:

“If they own submarines or F-16 fighter jets, we must have something of comparable capability to counter them. It’s about assessing a competitor’s prowess as a factor for allocating the right budget.”

If "they" have submarines, then "we" don't need submarines.  They need sonar buoy arrays, Boeing P-8 Poseidons and other ASW weaponry.  Given what happened to HTMS Sukhothai I doubt that there is enough discipline in this country to manage a sub without taking it to the bottom.  Not enough attention to detail.  What happened to the Sukothai should have gotten the entire chain of command relieved of duty and retired.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

“If they own submarines or F-16 fighter jets, we must have something of comparable capability to counter them. It’s about assessing a competitor’s prowess as a factor for allocating the right budget.”

Competitors?  In the UK we tend to use jets and other military equipment against our ENEMIES. Our 'COMPETITORS' might be a little shocked if for example, the cricket team arrived in fighter jets.

Wow, that is a pretty strong message for western expats to plan an escape strategy.  

Saying out right they are aligned with Xi, and china's goals 100%.  

Edited by Gknrd

13 hours ago, JoePai said:

Sorry I'm a little thick but can I ask what are the "emerging security threats" ?

Nationalism , slowly conditioning the Thai's to want to fight for Thailand.  Hence Nationalism.  Turning inward, and against the tyranny of the west. The Chinese have been doing it for years. The elite are heading in that direction. 

But, have been for a few years now. So, nothing new here.

They are just ramping up the propoganda, 

Edited by Gknrd