Wise (TransferWise) Verification

Just a heads up that Wise is now asking for verification photos before processing a transfer.  It asks after you set up and push "Send."
It asks for ID (passport) and a selfie.  After I did that I said I'd probably be waiting until Nov 12th for verification - but - the transaction when through in about 1 minute.
Hopefully this is a "one and done" verification. 

12 minutes ago, treetops said:

Several reports of this recently but it seems quite random.

The reports I saw were about Wise changing account details which effects those with inbound transfers.  I just send money through Wise to my Thai bank via ACH so no big deal regarding account details.
I hadn't seen anything about KYC photo verification.  But it seemed simple enough.  The only issue I had was that I use a computer.  To accomplish my verification which required taking a photo with the phone, I needed to install the Wise app on Android (which I don't like doing).  But the phone is already linked to Wise so it was a non-issue.  Like I said, easy enough.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Did Bht40k on 1st Nov for long term stay. Took one day as usual. No verification needed.

Now that its done hopefully I won't be prompted again.  I have no problem with KYC.

23 minutes ago, Pickwick said:

How much did you transfer? I can't remember where but I read about a month ago that transfers of 50,000 baht and above now require photo verification. I've transferred about 5 x 45,000 in the last few weeks with no verification needed.

Where did you read that?

27 minutes ago, Pickwick said:

How much did you transfer? I can't remember where but I read about a month ago that transfers of 50,000 baht and above now require photo verification. I've transferred about 5 x 45,000 in the last few weeks with no verification needed.

$1000 bucks.  35K THB and change, so no, that ain't it. 

2 hours ago, connda said:

The only issue I had was that I use a computer.  To accomplish my verification which required taking a photo with the phone, I needed to install the Wise app on Android

Easy.  Three options.

Connect your phone to your computer using the charger/data cable and transfer between directories, or send the photo file from phone to computer via bluetooth, or email the photo file from the phone to yourself and download on the computer.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pickwick said:

I transferred over 50,000 on the 2nd Dec with no verification needed.

• Like 1

Dont use smartphones when doing this......its been asking me for at least a year if I click on top left hand icon that has red dot on it (yes I could just satisfy them I acknowledge)

Use full desktop website and you wont get asked at all no matter what amount......it authenticates you by actually pinging the mobile app for you to confirm "yes this is me"

Its the security angle that companies like Wise dont like with phone apps

One transfer I did recently was for £2450 so well in excess of this "suggested" 50,000 baht limit....it was going to SCB I might add

Was there in 9 seconds

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chivas said:

Use full desktop website and you wont get asked at all no matter what amount.

I was asked using the the desktop application.  The only way to verify was by using the phone which meant the need to install the app.  So it's not the Android app creating the situation.

I transfer money into my WISE account BEFORE I make a transfer, sometimes I will wait a week for an uptick in the exchange rate.

The only time I have been asked for photo ID was when I opened the account.

I do everything via laptop or desktop, as I simply do not trust the security of phone apps.

• Thanks 1

Heads Up with Wise!

Wise is under investigation for numerous reports being filed in the UK Ombdusman, the Belgian Ombdusfin, the FCA (all nationalities) and the CEC, among others, for withholding, closing, freezing and blocking, failing to transfer, failing to compute, etc. in over 15,000 accounts worldwide. 

If you are vunerable, I would recommend reading the social media posts in both their own profiles and in a special group opened on Facebook on the subject.  I am writing this from Koh Samui where I have had my card frozen and no access to the account since Oct. 22nd.  No reason or notification was offered, nor have my numerous petitions been answered, expect with a form letter that says that they are studying the case. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

Easy.  Three options.

Connect your phone to your computer using the charger/data cable and transfer between directories, or send the photo file from phone to computer via bluetooth, or email the photo file from the phone to yourself and download on the computer.

Or you could just send it from your phone

21 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I transfer money into my WISE account BEFORE I make a transfer, sometimes I will wait a week for an uptick in the exchange rate.

The only time I have been asked for photo ID was when I opened the account.

I do everything via laptop or desktop, as I simply do not trust the security of phone apps.

Absolutely and nor do the banks