Soundproofing a condo wall in Pattaya

bluepeter

While we're on the subject.

We've lived in the same house and mooban for 16 years.Last year the old house next door was knocked down and a 4br "pool villa" built . It's advertised on Booking.com by Chinese investors.

Every 3-4 days a new group arrives and and it's party time.Getting woken up at 3am is no joke, when they get back from the clubs they head directly into the pool which is on the side that abuts our br. I'm investing 40k on new laminated widows in the hope it works.

Apparently we can complain to city hall...but how effective will that be?

At any rate its a residential area and not commercial.Isn't it basically a hotel?

I'm not very optimist...anyone?

• Sad 2

Invest in a decibel meter to know how much you need to reduce the noise.

Google foam soundproofing and spend some time learning about it.

If you can use sheets of it and are willing to cover up a wall, you can probably do the job yourselves.

The key is knowing what you require to get what you want and gaining the knowledge needed to make good purchases.   

Good luck

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Having owned a couple of recording studios, I can give you plenty of advice but you will need to provide more info. First of all, "soundproofing" a condo will be next to impossible, so...

1. Is the treatment required for containment of exclusion?

2. Acoustic treatments are frequency dependent - so is it the neighbor's sub-woofer banging away, general TV noise/loud chatter, or high-pitched noise?

If it is the neighbors making a racket, remember that you can file a police complaint. In my experience, the RTP tend to take these issues seriously if you're in an urban/suburban location. As mentioned above, it helps if you can provide some evidence along with a journal of events but there's no need for an SPL meter because most cops aren't going to know the difference between a dBu, dBm or a dog barking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Been in the business for many years.

Your question is impossible to begin answering without a lot more information as is a very complex business,

not only decibels but frequencies need to be considered along with flanking.

You will not "soundfroof" a house or room without considerable cost but can reduce significantly

• Thumbs Up 1

I've done many to increase value when selling and because I'm very sensitive for noises.

The cheapest and fastest way is to add 1-2 layers of maximum hardness material. Hard drywall, plywood, stone etc. You glue it on with modern adhesive, no screws or nails.

More extensive is something like this; 

https://www.familyhandyman.com/project/how-to-soundproof-a-room/

Note the air gap inside! Also, minimum of contact points between layers.

Bad neighbors can ruin the life. Many times better to move!

On 11/13/2023 at 8:25 PM, 3STTW said:

Having owned a couple of recording studios, I can give you plenty of advice but you will need to provide more info. First of all, "soundproofing" a condo will be next to impossible, so...

1. Is the treatment required for containment of exclusion?

2. Acoustic treatments are frequency dependent - so is it the neighbor's sub-woofer banging away, general TV noise/loud chatter, or high-pitched noise?

If it is the neighbors making a racket, remember that you can file a police complaint. In my experience, the RTP tend to take these issues seriously if you're in an urban/suburban location. As mentioned above, it helps if you can provide some evidence along with a journal of events but there's no need for an SPL meter because most cops aren't going to know the difference between a dBu, dBm or a dog barking.

Sorry, the SPL meter suggestion was intended to let you know how much you will have to spend on foam to get to where you want to go. 

• 3 weeks later...

If it's airborne noise, you need a sound blocker

It all depends whether you have the money / permission to take down the drywall on your side and install some insulation (MLV is a great sound blocker) or add another layer of drywall / decouple.

If you are going for a cheap / quick fix, try acoustic panels on the wall (not the acoustic foam ones)...

Some good options here....

https://soundproofgenius.com/how-to-soundproof-wall-from-noisy-neighbors/

Also make sure the noise has no other pathways to enter, such as under or around your door (try a door sweep and weather stripping)

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, AlexRRR said:

Just leave a snake in the pool for the guests return from a night on the town, id think 2 or 3 times and enough bad reviews will be left to deter future bookings...

555 I love your suggestion Arrr ...2 issues here, 1 the owners already know know we're not happy about the pool parties, 2nd, I'm terrified of snakes. Hoping that the window/wall upgrades do the trick.

If I keep getting woken up from this I'll notify the "old boot" that I'll be moving out to a (hopefully) quiet place to round of my time .

PS: How to deal with the security cameras that they may have and where do I source live snakes that won't bite me. 555

6 minutes ago, jaideedave said:

555 I love your suggestion Arrr ...2 issues here, 1 the owners already know know we're not happy about the pool parties, 2nd, I'm terrified of snakes. Hoping that the window/wall upgrades do the trick.

If I keep getting woken up from this I'll notify the "old boot" that I'll be moving out to a (hopefully) quiet place to round of my time .

PS: How to deal with the security cameras that they may have and where do I source live snakes that won't bite me. 555

Ahhhh Sercurity cameras are a problem....id just toss it from over the fence straight into the pool, im terrified of snakes too...pet shop, buy from but not in your area, can get non poison type, guests would not know, pretty sure there would be a some helpful Thai around happy to earn 1000B to ummm sling it for you...I wouldnt be spending money on windows, last resort would be one of them boom music boxes and play something like Chinese classic music full bore....

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

Write to AirBNB and inform them of the problem, and your intention to sue them along with the house owners.  You'll be pleasantly surprised at the response!

Excellent suggestion.It's actually listed clearly on Booking.com.

Complete description along with house number and all so there would be no confusion or mistaking the place.

What I have to do is record some of the parties (3am) because I can't make allegations without proof.It was built by a Chinese investor couple under a shady agreement with the moo ban manager lady.(Thai name proxy)

Listing as 10 pax maximum 5 br @ 21,598 for 2 nights.

It ain't cheap so they want to get their moneys worth. Almost always single guys who probably get their temporary "friends" on Walking Street.And no, I'm not jealous because I've been there and done that in years gone by.555