Aggressive Taxi Drivers that hang around outside hotels.

bob smith

Just avoid the taxis parked in front of hotels. They are too lazy to drive and look out for customers and prefer to wait until they can scam a tourist coming out of the hotel. Soi 11 in Bangkok is a good example.

If/when you need a taxi, just call one that is passing by or call one with the GRAB application.

1 minute ago, PMinThailand said:

Just avoid the taxis parked in front of hotels. They are too lazy to drive and look out for customers and prefer to wait until they can scam a tourist coming out of the hotel. Soi 11 in Bangkok is a good example.

If/when you need a taxi, just call one that is passing by or call one with the GRAB application.

glad you know what im talking about dude.

many on here think im making it up!!

Not just hotels and not just farang.

They will rip off anybody who will fall for it!!

I have learned from experience when on some occasions even  my Thai wife, who normally stands no nonsense, I have been the one to say, I know what is going on here and I tell them so!

One example, last year at Mo Chit bus station (after a long bus ride) we needed to get to Don Muang airport. I know it is quite close and doesn't justify a B400 asking rate taxi ride - obviously no meter and him being very rude that I will wait for a proper taxi to appear, that I also know will happen very soon. After less than two minutes, such a thing arrives and takes us to the airport on the meter and I think it cost B95

Tourists and the inexperienced will always be vulnerable in sometimes difficult local circumstances - maybe raining or in a hurry!

11 hours ago, Yagoda said:

While I recognize that folks experiences are different, I can honestly say that since my first visit to Thailand in the 1980s, I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of problems I have had with Thai folks. Ive never been harassed, intimated or treated with any lack of respect.

Allegations made by the OP are IMHO, simply not true.

The only problems I have in Thailand is the road behaviour of most drivers and motorbike riders, not to mention queue jumpers. Everyone else, market stall workers, shop assistants, tradesmen , no problem.

9 hours ago, pomchop said:

oh what a tough guy sitting at a keyboard...yeah go ahead and clock a taxi driver on the chin and see how it works out when the baseball bats and machetes come out....only a fool would "clock" a taxi driver....be sure and have someone post your pic in the hospital bed

That applies to any Thai people anywhere, that's why in 18 years here I have never laid a hand on any Thai.

5 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

That applies to any Thai people anywhere, that's why in 18 years here I have never laid a hand on any Thai.

I was once on a dark road close to a major tourist hotspot and a tuk tuk driver was pestering a farang tourist.

I was stood near the bakers oven having a beer, it was just those 2 on this dark road when all of a sudden the farang started laying into this tuk tuk driver.

He didnt fight back at all and came back into the area that had street lights and he was crying, blood streaming from his nose.

the farang disappeared into the shadows, never to be seen again.

It was so satisfying to see. I hope he learned the lesson that not all farangs are soft pushovers. 

Edited by bob smith
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Yes, agree with the original poster, they can be dangerous,

Witnessed a taxi who thought he had the "street covered" & after a lady refused to pay the extortionate price requested

hailed a passing cab. Within seconds he had a long sword out & was about to attack her.  The hotel security guard intervened......

I went to park my pickup on Sukhumvit Soi 11 in a normal parking spot & was told on no uncertain terms "NO, Taxi only.

So moved 50 yards down & parked with this guy running after me No, No.

I just walked past him & got bumped & a "cutthroat sign"

When I returned 20 minutes later I had 2 front cut tyres & the brand new spare had been unwound & stolen.

They are a mafia & dangerous.

Some of you must lead a very sheltered life here

4 hours ago, bob smith said:

I was once on a dark road close to a major tourist hotspot and a tuk tuk driver was pestering a farang tourist.

I was stood near the bakers oven having a beer, it was just those 2 on this dark road when all of a sudden the farang started laying into this tuk tuk driver.

He didnt fight back at all and came back into the area that had street lights and he was crying, blood streaming from his nose.

It was so satisfying to see. I hope he learned the lesson that not all farangs are soft pushovers. 

Assault

Bob is right... they are vermin whose only interest is to rip off unsuspecting tourists....  

There is nothing good or positive they offer, the do not bring any better service than a regular metered taxi. I too have witnessed a negative attitude from them when ignored... but, they are still easily ignored.

I find it difficult to imagine that a tourist has been spat at by one of these guys, however, in that world these guys are capable of anything and if someone responded unfavourably, I can imagine a nasty response. 

6 hours ago, bob smith said:

That is a scummy comment....  While I supported your observations that the Taxi's waiting around outside hotels are vermin, your comment above that one of 'them' getting beaten up is satisfying and justifiable as a lesson to all is disgusting. 

TukTuks drivers can be pain in the backside.... and some can be persistent, but no one deserves a kicking for trying their hardest to earn a 'nearly'  honest living. 

• Like 2

Regarding the taxi drivers hanging around hotels. And possibly trying to take advantage of people.  That happens not only in Thailand.  That’s why it is not advisable  to use taxis that are waiting in front of hotels.  Especially popular hotels that cater to tourists. 

On 11/13/2023 at 1:29 AM, bob smith said:

you clearly haven't been to a tourist hotspot recently.

I have as i like to go on long weekends . Never had a problem myself. I know some can get a bit stroppy , in Phuket for example they’re very in your face. There are often quarrels on the ferry landings for example . I always call my own ride when there. It has to be a legal taxi tho as otherwise there’s a big fuss. When In Bangkok, I stay in a 4 * hotel, and when I want a taxi they call a normal meter taxi for me .