Crazy biker maneuvers or habits you see in Thailand

scubascuba3

47 minutes ago, huangnon said:

Riding two abreast against the flow of traffic, with their feet on each other's foot rests. :wacko:

You sure it's not one guy pushing the other guys bike with his foot,

as the other guy,  has run out of fuel.

very normal here. and ok by me. :thumbsup:

Ps, But should do this in the correct direction of traffic.

Edited by rocketboy2
  • Agree 2

A few years back my wife was in our car, stopped at a traffic light and a lady on a motorbike slammed into the rear side, the lady on the motorbike tried to say it was my wife's fault, saying the car pulled out in front of her & my wife needed to pay the hospital bill.  Luckily we had a dashcam that showed the car wasn't even moving when the "accident" happened, she showed it to the police and the motorbike lady was told right then & there she was at fault.  I don't know if it was an attempted scam or just stupid driving, not having a dashcam these days is inviting trouble.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Probably my favorite pet peeves which happen daily.

Variation on that. You are emerging out of a minor road and joining a major road. Doesn't matter which direction you are turning. A moto riding in the break down lane on the wrong side of the road turns right down the minor road you are emerging from across the front of you. That's diabolical IMHO.

1 hour ago, Goat said:

But what about the farangs who come here, buy big bikes and endanger lives by speeding around at 280kpm?? 

How dangerous, selfish and reckless is that?

See them every day, and mostly the younger under 50yo’s trying to impress other farangs so to be noticed, either a gayish thing (which is fine) or a anti-social disposition, weird though.

1 hour ago, Woof999 said:

That doesn't take away from the fact that the vast majority of the locals are dangerous on 2 wheels.

Per capita, I see more careless farangs riding. Yesterday seen four farang stupid maneuvers, this morning two, Thai zero today and one yesterday. We only read about some of the farang traffic deaths and very seldom hear about any injury incidents. 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

56 minutes ago, novacova said:

Per capita, I see more careless farangs riding. Yesterday seen four farang stupid maneuvers, this morning two, Thai zero today and one yesterday. We only read about some of the farang traffic deaths and very seldom hear about any injury incidents. 

You can't be counting no helmets, no lights, 3+ up and a baby, the majority of delivery riders? In 2 days you saw only 1 bad habit / manoeuvre from a local and 600% more from falangs? Strange, but OK.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, novacova said:

See them every day, and mostly the younger under 50yo’s trying to impress other farangs so to be noticed, either a gayish thing (which is fine) or a anti-social disposition, weird though.

No, the aseannow member who posted that was north of 60, not gay and quite social.

He is now dead, died in a motorbike crash a few months ago. I am not sure how many others were injured or killed in the incident.

1 hour ago, bbko said:

A few years back my wife was in our car, stopped at a traffic light and a lady on a motorbike slammed into the rear side, the lady on the motorbike tried to say it was my wife's fault, saying the car pulled out in front of her & my wife needed to pay the hospital bill.  Luckily we had a dashcam that showed the car wasn't even moving when the "accident" happened, she showed it to the police and the motorbike lady was told right then & there she was at fault.  I don't know if it was an attempted scam or just stupid driving, not having a dashcam these days is inviting trouble.

Good to hear the right thing was done! Contrary to the unwritten 'law' that the larger vehicle always pays. Obviously being stationary and able to prove it helped a great deal. Dashcam is a most worthwhile investment. 

5 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

You´re a funny guy! Actually, your comment is so stupid, that it would be you that needed proof for your statement. However, I will give you what you ask for.
Below, I have also attached the full translation of Land Traffic Act B.E. 2522 (1979)

What you should care about is Section 45. As your knowledge of the traffic laws in Thailand is so poor, I would suggest you read it all.

Section 45. No driver shall overtake other conveyance by the left side of the overtaken conveyance, except in the following cases: (1) the conveyance which is going to be overtaken is turning right, or gives right turning signal; (2) such road is divided into two or more lanes of the same direction. The overtaking by the left side of the overtaken conveyance under (1) or (2) may be done only when there is no other conveyance following behind.

So, how did it go now Neal? Are you going to be quiet or post a confirmation that you will read the full law? 

Road_Traffic_Act_BE_2522_(1979).pdf 1.57 MB · 0 downloads

AHAAAAA   but pdf's didn't exist in 1979 so this must be fake.

It's just science.

Edited by fondue zoo
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Woof999 said:

You can't be counting no helmets, no lights, 3+ up and a baby, the majority of delivery riders? In 2 days you saw only 1 bad habit / manoeuvre from a local and 600% more from falangs? Strange, but OK.

No, in my post and as per OP’s thread, I was discussing foolish maneuvering. Though I do see plenty of farangs not wearing helmets and there are two in the neighborhood that ride around with their kids without helmets. To assume farangs are somehow immune to stupidity is nonsense, see it every day.

• Agree 1

Many motorcycle riders behave as if all other drivers and riders will never change their position or speed. No braking, no left or right, no change.

And when they think they can get through under above conditions, then they go ahead.

And in case someone brakes or drives a little more left or right then they blame the other person. Like: If he would not have braked then I wouldn't have crashed into the back of his car...

TiT

If they would think then they should understand that this system won't work in the long run. But it seems many just don't think. 

11 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Absolutely! Move to the left actually driving in the breakdown lane before your left hand turn.  

I was mainly refering to the urban environment, down the moobahn where there seems to be more careless riding, although you still need to be careful positioning to turn left.

• Agree 1

While driving a car, a motorcyclist trying to undertake while you are indicating & turning left. 

& a real pet hate… on a narrow so with backed up traffic on their side of the road (on coming), your side is clear & they ride straight towards you forcing you to stop so you don’t hit them & squeeze through a tiny gap between cars. 

Another, when riding & splitting lanes, that one driver oblivious to the world around them positioned so poorly & not leaving the gap for the bikes to easily pass.  

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, fondue zoo said:

AHAAAAA   but pdf's didn't exist in 1979 so this must be fake.

It's just science.

You are smart my friend. How about they made the pdf many years after, when it became available. As this is a translation, the translation was made after the original was written.

However, I hope you were joking as I left a laughing emoji for you.

Edited by Gottfrid

6 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

You are smart my friend. How about they made the pdf many years after, when it became available. As this is a translation, the translation was made after the original was written.

However, I hope you were joking as I left a laughing emoji for you.

yes, I was being a smart ass.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I remember once a guy on a scooter had his girl on the back and tried to split between two taxis as three lanes merged into two. I say tried, but he actually made it. 

Trouble was that his girls knees must have been hanging out just a bit further than the scooters handlebars. He knees hit the sides of both taxis and tumbled off the back onto the busy road. I'd braked early thinking the bike wouldn't make it so I didn't clean her up. 

But the rider's brake light didn't come on well after the incident.

When the pillion was finally on her feet, she went ballistic at him for 30 seconds with kicks and elbows. Then she just got back on the bike and away they went.

On 11/24/2023 at 12:24 PM, LS24 said:

Trouble was that his girls knees must have been hanging out just a bit further than the scooters handlebars. He knees hit the sides of both taxis and tumbled off the back onto the busy road. I'd braked early thinking the bike wouldn't make it so I didn't clean her up. 

Just one of the reasons I will not take a moto-taxi in Thailand... at all..

Well.. not quite at all, I've taken about 5 in about 25 years here...  the primary reason of course is no helmet, or no availability of a decent helmet... Just not worth it in my opinions - meanwhile I'm ok to ride a bike here (and drive here) myself.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Just one of the reasons I will not take a moto-taxi in Thailand... at all..

Well.. not quite at all, I've taken about 5 in about 25 years here...  the primary reason of course is no helmet, or no availability of a decent helmet... Just not worth it in my opinions - meanwhile I'm ok to ride a bike here (and drive here) myself.

I agree, i see people without a helmet, crazy, a few times when i had to get a taxi bike i took my own bicycle helmet, not ideal but better than nothing

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, actonion said:

What's culture got to do with Highway code, & road rules

Culture is relevant regarding how societies follow those rules. Many simply don't follow the rules here as society allows them not to. If you call someone out for bad riding, you are seen as the problem to others, not the person doing wrong in the first place. 

On 11/14/2023 at 2:06 PM, Goat said:

No, the aseannow member who posted that was north of 60, not gay and quite social.

Wasn’t referring to him. 
Was referring to the weird younger farangs that ride carelessly to impress other farangs, it appears to be a man-crush gayish attraction thing, not that there is anything wrong with having those affections in of itself though it looks silly and a bit dangerous on the road.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, novacova said:

Wasn’t referring to him. 
Was referring to the weird younger farangs that ride carelessly to impress other farangs, it appears to be a man-crush gayish attraction thing, not that there is anything wrong with having those affections in of itself though it looks silly and a bit dangerous on the road.

Some people grow out of it. Some dont.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, novacova said:

Wasn’t referring to him. 

Nothing "gay" about it, just standard alpha male stuff. You sound like a beta male (or lower), not that there's anything wrong with that.

On 12/1/2023 at 1:48 PM, Lemsta69 said:

Nothing "gay" about it, just standard alpha male stuff. You sound like a beta male (or lower), not that there's anything wrong with that.

Gay male alpha stuff. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.
You sound like a beta male (or lower) in an attempt to impress your self or others to cover an inferiority complex? Maybe something wrong with that.

On 12/1/2023 at 8:00 AM, novacova said:

Wasn’t referring to him. 

Thats three separate threads now where you've bleeted on with this nonsense that 'young farangs are trying to impress other farangs'  and now you are alluding to some form of homosexuality...       your delusions are ridiculous... you need to get a grip...

No one is trying to impress you, no matter how much you covet this dream that your approval is sought by strangers.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, novacova said:

Gay male alpha stuff. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.
You sound like a beta male (or lower) in an attempt to impress your self or others to cover an inferiority complex? Maybe something wrong with that.

Well I'm not an alpha male, nor do I want to be one. But calling posturing heteo motorcyclists gay is just childish. Oh, and an insult to gay bikers 😅

3 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

Well I'm not an alpha male, nor do I want to be one. But calling posturing heteo motorcyclists gay is just childish. Oh, and an insult to gay bikers 😅

He thinks they want to impress him....     something particularly narcissistic about that.

I'd get it if he thought that idiots riding bikes like tools somehow think they are impressing women etc..  (Peacocking )...   

But.... he believes theses young males on motorcycles are trying to impress older farangs'.....      the whole concept is preposterous, yet Nova is backing himself with this suggestion in a few concurrently running threads. 

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thats three separate threads now where you've bleeted on with this nonsense that 'young farangs are trying to impress other farangs'  and now you are alluding to some form of homosexuality...       your delusions are ridiculous... you need to get a grip...

No one is trying to impress you, no matter how much you covet this dream that your approval is sought by strangers.

You seem to have complex of it. Makes one wonder…

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

He thinks they want to impress him....     something particularly narcissistic about that.

I'd get it if he thought that idiots riding bikes like tools somehow think they are impressing women etc..  (Peacocking )...   

But.... he believes theses young males on motorcycles are trying to impress older farangs'.....      the whole concept is preposterous, yet Nova is backing himself with this suggestion in a few concurrently running threads. 

Yeah right. It’s an observation, a lot of you “fellas” tend to get a wild hair up the yingyang on the road when you see another farang, usually silly youngsters. But one who does it would certainly lack the ability to observe such an obvious display. Either a  guy for guy thing, or some sort of anti social psychosis. Which is it?