Condo has blocked off roof top swimming pool on NYE for private party

12 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

Uttterly despicable behaviour from the condo.

We have a great view of the River from our condo, that overlooks Icon Siam. We were looking forward to going on the roof and enjoying New Years Eve's festivities. 

However, got an email this morning saying no one is allowed on the roof top pool area as they are booking it out for a private party. 

How the effing hell is that even a thing ? We pay a premium to stay here and then this. Can they get away with this ? 

Can i do anything ? Nothing was ever mentioned in any of the contract or the bloody condo rules when i go through them. 

Go to the roof the day before with a group of like minded persons and start to celebrate early.

Block off the doors and say to hell with you.

P S Don't blame me if you get arrested or you all commit suicide like a group of Lemmings 

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

This is not a cheap condo. It's of the higher end condos, and one of the bigger condos around. 

The condo obviously has some form of committeee. I am not the owner of the condo, but rent it. So i am assuming the committee team in charge have decided to do this. 

It's just very poor. 

So... you have no fiduciary interest in the condo building. You just ASSUMED you would have NYE access. Now its time to whinge.

That's just very poor.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:
7 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

You are rite - it from the Juristic. 

But in my agreement it is listed the times i can use common areas. It mentions nowhere (other than for repairs) that it can be used. No where does it say you cannot go into a common area due to a private function being held. 

The issue seems to be between you and your landlord. Are you absolutely sure your rental agreement with them conforms to the juristic bylaws of the condo? The landlord's stated "right of access" many not match the condo's...

I would check your lease, if it allows you to use common areas and doesn't state any restrictions, then I would tell the condo manager on site (if there is one) and use the pool that night, have a copy of your lease handy and tell them to take it up with your landlord, perhaps suggest they have a copy of the condo bye laws and/or A/EGM resolution handy to show your landlord where it says they can rent out common areas.

Things are standard even in Thailand.

I wonder at times when I read stories like this whether the Condo rules etc are translated since many of the response suggest going to the rules?

Regardless, I would imagine somewhere in the language allows certain areas to be rented by owners for events usually clubhouse etc, the profits are usually recorded in the balance sheet along with expenses hopefully it doesnt end up in the negative. These events are usually approve in the genersl meetings.

Here in Thailand my impression no one seem to know until it is too late and Condo mangement agencies here seem to beat their own drums.

Being a rental my opinion it is a bit late after the fact surely not worth the time and expense it being a high end complex surely this one time look for a big expensive highrise hotel book a nice room with view, treat the family to a nice outing nice dinner at the hotel surely they have a nice restaurant after back to your room in comfort to watch the celebration. Enjoy!

14 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

Uttterly despicable behaviour from the condo.

We have a great view of the River from our condo, that overlooks Icon Siam. We were looking forward to going on the roof and enjoying New Years Eve's festivities. 

However, got an email this morning saying no one is allowed on the roof top pool area as they are booking it out for a private party. 

How the effing hell is that even a thing ? We pay a premium to stay here and then this. Can they get away with this ? 

Can i do anything ? Nothing was ever mentioned in any of the contract or the bloody condo rules when i go through them. 

Sell the condo, move to rural Thailand, and buy a couple of Rai of land and build a house.  Get to know the village head and your neighbors.
Bob's your uncle! 

2 hours ago, mikebike said:

So... you have no fiduciary interest in the condo building. You just ASSUMED you would have NYE access. Now its time to whinge.

That's just very poor.

In exactly the same manner the Op perhaps ASSUMED he'd be able to sleep in the unit he is renting....

I'm sure the 'facilities' were part of the reason the Op chose to rent at that location. 

I'm sure there is nothing in the Ops rental contract that states access to 'communal facilities' will be blocked for private parties. 

In holding a rental contract the Op has gained rights to access the communal facilities unless the contract states otherwise.

This is the same as renting a Condo then being told you are not permitted to park on the property because someone is having a party and wants to block all the parking spaces for his mates.....   

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

This is the same as renting a Condo then being told you are not permitted to park on the property because someone is having a party and wants to block all the parking spaces for his mates..... 

...or the juristic person staff are already renting your parking space to someone else (nice little earner that one).

17 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

they are booking it out for a private party

I am not sure if anybody asked this before: Is there more information about this party?

If it would be an event for some external company or private person then that is one thing.

But I guess it could be the Christmas party of the committee, or owners, or something like that. I guess then it's no problem.

• Agree 1

I’m a current serving committee member in a large condominium in Pattaya and I can tell you this definitely wouldn’t be allowed without AGM approval as it’s a change of use of the common area. 

the management company including the juristic don’t own the building, the CO-owners do and this change of use wouldn’t be allowed unless CO-owners voted for it at a AGM.

The management company work for the CO-owners so they wouldn’t be allowed to make such decisions on their own. 
also I doubt very much if a committee would agree to this as it’s breaking condominium laws.

if the current committee Im serving on made such a decision there would not only be uproar from the CO-owners but I would guarantee we as a committee would be taken to court for breaking condominium by laws and we’d lose.

if they get away with this once you can bet they’ll do it again as someone is making money from this so the committee needs to be informed. Also ask other residents especially co-owners if they object and find out who the committee are.

This just wouldn’t be allowed to happen in our building, not a chance in hell! 

• Agree 1

• 3 months later...

And exactly why has this topic resurfaced, 3 months into the said New Year, with no recent comments after November?

I have heard of "no news is good news", but what kind of news is stale news?

On 3/8/2024 at 5:55 PM, Grusa said:

And exactly why has this topic resurfaced, 3 months into the said New Year, with no recent comments after November?

I have heard of "no news is good news", but what kind of news is stale news?

ok jenny 3.JPG