Any whey protein without artificial sweeteners?

Alldar

Hi,

Do you know any whey protein powder which you can get in Thailand without artificial sweeteners? I cannot find anything. I don't mind the bad taste, or I would be OK with a bit of carbohydrates/sugar (gainers) but I want to avoid sucralose and other artificial sweeteners.

Any recommendations?

I was asking for a recommendation of some specific protein powder. Big selection on Lazada is not really helpful. I was checking that already - reputable brands like Optimim Nutrution or Ultimate Nutrition and I couldn't find anything pure without sweeteners.

Capn you recommend concrete product without the artificial sweeteners?

I have brought Protien from Lazada for years---unflavored doesn't have any sugar zero.... there are a lot of brands with no sugar

I take Matel whey Isolate, as below--30 grams gives you 27 grams of whey Protien ---you can get better with added vitamins  more expensive but many without sugar.

image.png.4b4b70282744cd2d20a5df0e079a2e46.png

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

I can't say re locally available brands but I get unsweetened California Gold Nutrition brand on iherb. Delivery is pretty fast (under 2 weeks) and costs a bit less than locally.

I started using this about a month ago to see if it will help with increased muscle stiffness first thing in morning and after car rides etc now that I am older and upon reading this https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6073774/

Maybe coincidence but it is better since I added this supplement. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, oxo1947 said:

I have brought Protien from Lazada for years---unflavored doesn't have any sugar zero.... there are a lot of brands with no sugar

I take Matel whey Isolate, as below--30 grams gives you 27 grams of whey Protien ---you can get better with added vitamins  more expensive but many without sugar.

It looks good, a bit expensive but if I don't find anything better I will consider it. Thanks for the tip.

4 hours ago, swm59nj said:

You will have to get unflavored.  Any product that is flavored will contain some type of sweetener.  

I know that, but the point of my question was to get a recommendation for a specific product as I cannot find any unflavored whey protein available in Thailand. Now I have at least one tip for Matel Whey from oxo1947.

14 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I can't say re locally available brands but I get unsweetened California Gold Nutrition brand on iherb. Delivery is pretty fast (under 2 weeks) and costs a bit less than locally. 

I see. I would prefer to order from some local shop, but out of curiosity - is it OK to import the proteins from abroad and do you need to declare anything or do some paperwork for customs? Any taxes due? How does it work?

16 hours ago, Alldar said:

I was asking for a recommendation of some specific protein powder. Big selection on Lazada is not really helpful. I was checking that already - reputable brands like Optimim Nutrution or Ultimate Nutrition and I couldn't find anything pure without sweeteners.

Capn you recommend concrete product without the artificial sweeteners?

I didn't want to spam a particular brand as I have no commercial interest in this.

After I wrote that reply, I ended up buying some pure Whey Protein Concentrate (WPC) from Lazada myself as my regular supplier closed up shop during Covid. I paid 625 baht per 907 grams of Whey protein concentrate. The source is ALS Labs in the USA. The Lazada resellers buy it in the 25kg sack.

If you want to be ripped off by paying exorbitant prices for name brands, with fancy containers, that's up to you, but I only buy pure Whey Protein Isolate or concentrate directly from the producers. Normally the bulk product is produced in the USA or NZ. What I buy is what the name brands use to make up their fancy concoctions (adding flavour and sweetener) and charge double or triple. I used to buy 25kg sacks of pure WPC or WPI about 12 -15 years ago and split it with friends, but now there are suppliers on Lazada who do it for us, and sell it by the kilo (well actually 2lb = 907 grams). It's better than having to buy a 25kg sack.

The 2 types:

1. Whey protein concentrate (WPC) - 80% protein by weight

2. Whey protein isolate (WPI) - 90% protein by weight.

I have no particular preference other than buying the one that provides the most protein for my baht, which today was WPC. If lactose is a problem, then the WPI option is better.

What you should do is calculate the protein content when you're choosing your supplier.

In my case, 625 baht for 907 grams of WPC, at 80% protein = 725 grams of protein. 625 baht/725 grams = 0.86 baht per gram of protein. Now I can calculate that for each 30g meal of protein I'm paying 25 baht. (This calculation ignores shipping cost, which is 47 baht for 1 pack, or 53 baht for 2 packs).

My goal is to consume a minimum of 100 grams of protein per day (my BW is 100kg) from all sources so I just use the whey to supplement if I haven't eaten enough protein on any particular day. I'm in the gym most days and do a lot of cardio in addition to resistance training.

I hope that was helpful.

Edited by JensenZ
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Alldar said:

I know that, but the point of my question was to get a recommendation for a specific product as I cannot find any unflavored whey protein available in Thailand. Now I have at least one tip for Matel Whey from oxo1947.

There are many unflavoured Whey products available on Lazada. It's all the same, just find the best price. I can't understand your problem as I've been able to purchase pure Whey protein since I arrived here in 2005. I only use the pure product.

33 minutes ago, Alldar said:

I have just found BAAM!! My Whey Protein which has unflavored option and it is for good price as well. Just not sure about the brand.

You need to find out what the source of the Whey Protein is. Who manufactured it (after the cows provided the milk LOL). Most brands won't give their source. The one I mentioned above was produced by ALS Labs in the USA. They have a Thailand subsidiary too. That makes it more reputable than any of the fancy name brands in pretty containers.

16 hours ago, oxo1947 said:

image.png.4b4b70282744cd2d20a5df0e079a2e46.png

Just to be precise, the one you are using is WPI - Whey Protein Isolate. 90% protein. 30 grams serving x 90% = 27 g protein.

23 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

I didn't want to spam a particular brand as I have no commercial interest in this.

After I wrote that reply, I ended up buying some pure Whey Protein Concentrate (WPC) from Lazada myself as my regular supplier closed up shop during Covid. I paid 625 baht per 907 grams of Whey protein concentrate. The source is ALS Labs in the USA. The Lazada resellers buy it in the 25kg sack.

Thanks a lot, this post was very useful. However, I am having some issues finding the WPC you mentioned on Lazada. I have sent you a DM. If you will have time please check it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alldar said:

Thanks a lot, this post was very useful. However, I am having some issues finding the WPC you mentioned on Lazada. I have sent you a DM. If you will have time please check it.

I just sent a reply -  happy shopping. I don't think you'll find a better product or deal.

4 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

Peanut protein. 

It's not useless, but it doesn't have the full spectrum of essential amino acids required in sufficient quantity for the body to synthesize protein.

When you eat protein, the digestive system breaks it down into amino acids and uses them to produce body proteins. The body requires 9 amino acids from your food. Whey Protein is one of the best.

I see "pea protein" is a thing now and readily available.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JensenZ said:

It's not useless, but it doesn't have the full spectrum of essential amino acids required in sufficient quantity for the body to synthesize protein.

When you eat protein, the digestive system breaks it down into amino acids and uses them to produce body proteins. The body requires 9 amino acids from your food.

Thanks.

How many of the 9 amino acids does normal peanut protein have, and how many does normal whey have?

Like Sheryl I start taking it around 2 years ago due to age (60+) 

8 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

Thanks.

How many of the 9 amino acids does normal peanut protein have, and how many does normal whey have?

Like Sheryl I start taking it around 2 years ago due to age (60+) 

Here's an excellent lead-in to learning more about amino acid ranking of foods, with many references for further study.

Digestible Indispensable Amino Acid Score

(roasted peanuts are on the list)

• Like 2

I, too, never understood why it is so hard to find just the whey protein with out the added chemical flavors and sugars. I don't want that stuff or need cookies and cream or vanilla fudge or raspberry lemon tart. What the heck? I'm also not having any luck locating such a product on Lazada.

Cheers!

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

I, too, never understood why it is so hard to find just the whey protein with out the added chemical flavors and sugars. I don't want that stuff or need cookies and cream or vanilla fudge or raspberry lemon tart. What the heck? I'm also not having any luck locating such a product on Lazada.

Cheers!

...Now I've found it by searching for it with Google. Thanks!

On 11/24/2023 at 3:55 PM, Alldar said:

Hi,

Do you know any whey protein powder which you can get in Thailand without artificial sweeteners? I cannot find anything. I don't mind the bad taste, or I would be OK with a bit of carbohydrates/sugar (gainers) but I want to avoid sucralose and other artificial sweeteners.

Any recommendations?

I order online from BULK NUTRIENTS.

They have flavoured and unflavoured.  It comes in resealable bags so easy and inexpensive to ship.  I think they're an Aussie company based in Tasmania.

The unflavoured WPI doesn't taste all that bad compared to some of the other unsweetened stuff.

7 hours ago, save the frogs said:

in my opinion, it's better to get protein from real foods than protein powders. 

Whey protein is real food and superior to your regular meals as a protein source.

No one suggested we should use Whey protein as the sole source of protein, but there are many advantages to using Whey protein as a supplement. It is a much cleaner source of protein than eating meat and other animal products and it can have a substantial benefit in controlling body weight for overweight people who eat too much, which includes most expats that both eat too much and are sedentary. 

23 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Whey protein is real food and superior to your regular meals as a protein source.

No one suggested we should use Whey protein as the sole source of protein, but there are many advantages to using Whey protein as a supplement. It is a much cleaner source of protein than eating meat and other animal products and it can have a substantial benefit in controlling body weight for overweight people who eat too much, which includes most expats that both eat too much and are sedentary. 

I am not convinced that whey protein is safe, but I don't know enough about it to debate that point.

To claim that it is "superior" to all foods that contain protein .... yes, man in white lab coat thinks he can outsmart God.

Oh wait ... God doesn't exist. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, save the frogs said:

I am not convinced that whey protein is safe, but I don't know enough about it to debate that point.

To claim that it is "superior" to all foods that contain protein .... yes, man in white lab coat thinks he can outsmart God.

Oh wait ... God doesn't exist. 

Whey is a byproduct of cheese making. It's a natural part of milk and 20% of milk's total protein.

It is one of the most studied proteins and definitely a healthy addition to the diet. On a one-on-one comparison, no other protein comes close. It not only provides much-needed protein to people who are undernourished, but it actually has health benefits. It's good for you!

You could use a crash course on whey protein.

Whey Protein 101: The Ultimate Beginner's Guide

On 11/26/2023 at 11:28 AM, JensenZ said:

Whey is a byproduct of cheese making. It's a natural part of milk and 20% of milk's total protein.

It is one of the most studied proteins and definitely a healthy addition to the diet. On a one-on-one comparison, no other protein comes close. It not only provides much-needed protein to people who are undernourished, but it actually has health benefits. It's good for you!

You could use a crash course on whey protein.

Whey Protein 101: The Ultimate Beginner's Guide

Hi Jensen,

I'm about to purchase some unflavored protein powder and I'm assuming it's the same one you purchase based on your above info. Maxwell brand? From translating the Thai in Goog. translate, it doesn't seem clear to me that it is produced by ALS labs but rather they have reviewed the protein content., supposedly. I don't know ALS labs or what they do or if they produce protein powder. Hmm, does ALS labs even exist or is it made up? It also could be a translation issue.

The company appears to be a Thai company situated in Khorat.

What the translated Thai text about ALS labs says is this: "Has FDA number 30-1-05363-5-0002 Check protein values from ALS LAB"

Anyway, not picking a fight or anything. Just thought the info might be useful.

Cheers!

• Thumbs Up 1