What to you use to track your finances?

biervoormij

I was a Quicken user for nearly as long as the OP, but also will not pay for a subscription. When i bought a new computer I switched to Ubuntu, was really sick of Microsoft wanting to know what I had for breakfast. The problem with Ubuntu is that most of the programmes are double entry bookkeeping, unlike a Quicken Cashbook. There are Windows programs that are single entry cashbook style  but finding one that has the detailed reports in Quicken is the problem. Unless you are an Excel expert you would have the same problem.

For Ubuntu I now use MMEX Money Manager but as stated it does not have the reporting capabilities,

• Thanks 1

On 11/25/2023 at 12:05 PM, biervoormij said:

I have been using the program quicken for over 30 years. In the past each time I bought a new computer I would buy the latest version of quicken and load my past data in the new version. I think it is time to upgrade my computer but looking at quicken they have gone to a subscription type of service where I would have pay a fee each year to keep using quicken. 

Do you use something that keeps track of all your financial accounts in one place and would you recommend it? I am thinking it might be best to convert to using a spreadsheet.

I use an old version of the PC program YNAB (You Need a Budget). Later versions have followed the trend of subscription, but the program is much simpler than Quicken and tne version I have does not need any updating. You could trawl the Internet for the last pre-subscription version (it went sub only from version 3), but I can't find it on any websites.

I know a simple workaround to use ver.3 without subscription, but obvs I can't tell you by posting on the forum....

• Thanks 1

Track this !

"Visa" $$ sits in a seperate bank acct ..   House is paid for, car is paid for .  from 2nd active acct... only constant bills are  food,cell phones and internet

wife gets 20,000 to do whatever she wants with  , once a year I pay the insurance bill .. We've never spent even half our monthly money

On 11/25/2023 at 12:44 PM, BritManToo said:

I'm paid a pension every month, then i spend it.

No need to track anything.

Yeah, I am not on pension but have an income. The only tools we need to control the finances are a wallet or a pocket, bank application with QR-scanner and an ATM/Debit card. 100% safe, as you will never be able to spend more than you have. :thumbsup:

• Thumbs Up 1

I think it is time to upgrade my computer but looking at quicken they have gone to a subscription type of service where I would have pay a fee each year to keep using quicken. 

There may be a way to keep using Quicken. I used the Australian version called Reckon, but still made by Intuit, and when I bought the new computer searched the internet on how to transfer the program to it. It was possible to download the 2015 version that I had been using from their help site. I had kept the installation key so was able to set it up on the new computer. Maybe Quicken has the same setup.

• Thanks 1

On 11/25/2023 at 12:44 PM, BritManToo said:

I'm paid a pension every month, then i spend it.

No need to track anything.

Exactly right.

I worked, earned, saved, invested most of my life.

That worked well for me so I just take money at atm when I need it and buy what I want when I want it.

I spent my life worrying about money but not any more. At 75 it's just "fun fun, fun until Daddy takes the T-bird away!"

Actually my USA social security pays twice more monthly than I spend, so the retirement cache (well diversified) just sits moldering until the Repugnicans finally kill SS, then I'll start drawing on that.

• Agree 1

I used to use Sage for my business because my accountants wanted me to. When I handed the business to an agent, I built a personal finance spreadsheet on Open Office. (Including a cashflow forecast, because how does anyone ever manage their finances without one? It must be both exhausting and nerve wracking. )

I tweaked it when I moved here to allow for extra bank accounts in different currencies. It produces a rough tax return which I double check before submitting. Never being surprised by a bank balance makes life so much more pleasant.

If I hadn't started out using VisiCalc in the 80s, I might have used an off the peg programme - but it wouldn't fit as well. 

• Thanks 1

I have been using the program quicken for over 30 years. In the past each time I bought a new computer I would buy the latest version of quicken and load my past data in the new version. I think it is time to upgrade my computer but looking at quicken they have gone to a subscription type of service where I would have pay a fee each year to keep using quicken. 

Do you use something that keeps track of all your financial accounts in one place and would you recommend it? I am thinking it might be best to convert to using a spreadsheet.

All done in my head and a calendar. 

5 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

There may be a way to keep using Quicken. I used the Australian version called Reckon, but still made by Intuit, and when I bought the new computer searched the internet on how to transfer the program to it. It was possible to download the 2015 version that I had been using from their help site. I had kept the installation key so was able to set it up on the new computer. Maybe Quicken has the same setup.

Yes, that's what I did too (2018 version)...and you can find the installation key number by Help>license info on the top menu so as long as your old computer hasn't died completely it's a painless process.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I used Quicken extensively while I was working in the UK, some 20 years ago and it was a very easy and useful programme.

However, since then, I have used Word XL Spreadsheet programme. I set it up with cumulative values and on a rolling annual  process, and once I had refined it to suit my simple mind, it worked and does work perfectly. For the past 20+ years, I have checked it monthly without exception. I reconcile my bank statements delivered online monthly, and record all income and outgoings - plus any notetable unexpended expenses. 

I know exactly what comes in, what goes out and precisely how much money I have for savings and daily/monthly expenditure. I'm not a computer whizz kid, nor an accountant, just a normal guy who likes to know exactly where he stands moneywise. On the same homepage, I can flip to a similar set-up for everything that happens here in Thailand and I have maintained that since 2009. I recommend you think about it as an option. I swear by it for my own peace of mind

Should you require an example, I would need to redact a lot of information I would not want to publicise. But I could do that over a period of time if you need further help.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2023 at 5:54 PM, Moonlover said:

I'm still using the original MS Money, bought on CD in the UK in 2001. It runs perfectly well on Windows 11.

Microsoft Money Suite Financière

Version 14.0.120.2107 Copyright © 2004 MicrosoftCorporation

Windows 10

+ Cash Flow monthly Budget with Excel (current year + following 2 years)

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, daejung said:

Microsoft Money Suite Financière

Version 14.0.120.2107 Copyright © 2004 MicrosoftCorporation

Windows 10

+ Cash Flow monthly Budget with Excel (current year + following 2 years)

Thanks for the tip. However Microsoft Money, ancient though it may, does everything that I need. (and lots more that I don't)

• 1 month later...