Foreign “managers” on soi 6

Everyman

Has there been a recent surge in the amount of farang 'managers' on Soi 6? When I frequented the soi over ten years ago, there were only maybe 2 or 3 bars that had such. If so, maybe it's part of a certain entertainment group's market penetration (pardon the pun).

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Has there been a recent surge in the amount of farang 'managers' on Soi 6? When I frequented the soi over ten years ago, there were only maybe 2 or 3 bars that had such. If so, maybe it's part of a certain entertainment group's market penetration (pardon the pun).

there are a lot now. and there is a high turnover rate. despite assertions to the contrary, i think they are just losers who hang out there and give themselves job titles. i doubt they are paid. it’s not like anyone will buy them lady drinks, and if they did, the bar would think they are taking one away that a girl could get. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 5
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Everyman said:

there are a lot now. and there is a high turnover rate. despite assertions to the contrary, i think they are just losers who hang out there and give themselves job titles. i doubt they are paid. it’s not like anyone will buy them lady drinks, and if they did, the bar would think they are taking one away that a girl could get. 

Yes, the occupation of being "In business for myself in Thailand" lends absolutely nothing to one's curriculum vitae.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Bobthegimp said:

Sadly, there are idiots who do just that.

The manager comps them a beer (costing the bar 35 baht?).  The customer feels obligated to reciprocate and is charged 150 or 200 baht, with the lady drink commission going to the manager. 

There was a bar on Soi Pothole that must be from the same group.  It was full of middle aged meatheads all wearing the same shirts and being loud/boisterous.  Another customer said something about "scousers" and "benefits" but I'm Canadian and have no idea what that was about. 

I'm a bit out of touch with all the new-fangled names for Pattaya so is, where the hell is Soi Pothole?

1 hour ago, Lemsta69 said:

I'm a bit out of touch with all the new-fangled names for Pattaya so is, where the hell is Soi Pothole?

Soi Chaiaphum (spelling?) - runs parallel and in between Lengkee and Excite.

Just now, topt said:

Soi Chaiaphum (spelling?) - runs parallel and in between Lengkee and Excite.

Gotcha. Thanks for the explanation. Farang mate's wife's auntie used to have a salon/laundry halfway up the soi so I only know it as "Chaiyapoom" or however it's spelt.

I guess Pothole is easier to say than the Thai name, and it is a busted-up heap of crap so the name fits.

PS. Why do they call it Excite? Just kidding, I am that old 😹

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Goat said:

Farangs are supposed to paid around 50,000 per month minimum in order to recieve a work permit.

Majority of "Farang" managers do not have work permits and are on a student visa etc.. And yes, I've heard their salary is low but they also receive a percentage of sales as commission I've heard which is their incentive to make the bar successful. 

1 hour ago, Lemsta69 said:

Gotcha. Thanks for the explanation. Farang mate's wife's auntie used to have a salon/laundry halfway up the soi so I only know it as "Chaiyapoom" or however it's spelt.

I guess Pothole is easier to say than the Thai name, and it is a busted-up heap of crap so the name fits.

PS. Why do they call it Excite? Just kidding, I am that old 😹

Also nearby off Excite, parallel to Buakhao is Soi 500, can you guess why it's called that? ok I'll tell you, everything is 500

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Cannot comment on soi 6 but in other places I've seen the farang manager as useful mostly with culture and miscommunication issues and also general organisation of the bar.

For example, they could likely have done with one when 20 feral staff attacked a dude at another bar the week before, almost definitely due to miscommunication and not having a single person with some sort of common sense on site.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

They're there to give whingers something to whinge about.

Presumably you go there?

"Presumably"?   Based on what?    You're, wrongly, assuming that I go there for some reason but it'd be much easier for me to get blown in Bangkok...that aside, what if I did?

• Confused 1

There have always been a lot of foreign bar owners and managers in Pattaya.....the profusion on soi 6 was a different  and more recent business model that produced a marmite type of reaction. They accept commission drinks but not sure if they can be barfined. 

• Haha 1