Concert in Kelantan with sexy Thai dancers stirs controversy

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

A concert featuring a well-known Thai folk songstress and scantily clad dancers at a Buddhist festival to celebrate Loy Krathong has stirred controversy in the conservative Malaysian state of Kelantan, according to Malaysian media.

Strange, as the video shows most if not all enjoying themselves?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Hippocrites, the lot of them!  My experiences in muslim countries:

Bangladesh - No alcohol allowed, but bars everywhere, pitch black inside, can barely see your drink, reason:  Everybody drinking does not want their neighbor to see who they are!

Pakistan - No bars anywhere, but almost everybody drinking at home, including private parties, obviously a thriving black market for (illegal) booze.

Saudi - Aircraft in transit, women boarding dressed in head to toe black bedsheets, going into the bathrooms and coming out dressed like western models, the men ordering alcohol non-stop as soon as we take off.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Aussie999 said:

I was wondering the same... just what would they call the girls at the bars, or on the streets eg Soi Bangla.

I wish there were more 'scantily dressed' girls in the Bangkok bars. If there were, I might actually go there to have a beer.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I've been to this area and it operates under its own pseudo shariah law....  with all the puritanical hypocrisy that comes with it. 

The Malay colleagues I was with had to 'pretend' they were non-muslim Indonesians just to be allowed into a restaurant which served beer. 

I don't see a peaceful culturally rich environment when I visit such places... I see fear and repression...  people fear persecution for not conforming...  

I'm surprised the girls got as far as stage without a hijab.

I agree to the point that Islamic law is totally different to what we are used to.  The thing that we as on Islamic followers fail to understand is that this is their law and religion.  Living in Pakistan you quickly learn the rules and the way things are done.  Good Muslim men do not drink (in Publilc)  They will go to a restaurant and have tea that they have brought with them.

Had a head of local government in Lahore come to a meeting in a hotel and when we started I asked him if he wanted a drink water, soda, tea coffee.  He looked at me strangely and asked if I had any beer or whiskey LOL

I turned the tables on him at dinner when I offered him a cup of tea and suggested that he would really love the grape flavour 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What's the problem? Was anybody harmed?

If people don't like to see sexy girls, then don't go there and don't watch! 

Because it is in the vicinity of a Buddhist Temple and can be clearly viewed. Thai Culture is very strict about women dressing sexually if visiting a temple. It's a bit like eating a bacon sandwich on the steps of a Mosque. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Such silliness. Alot of this fake purity likely originates from the government. The goons in charge are focusing their efforts in all the wrong areas. They are trying to make Thailand a Quaker State. A land of purity. Total BS. Nonsense. Misplaced priorities, and wasted efforts. And likely completely fake and hypocritical. No doubt these terribly misguided fools are trying to rid Thailand of one of its most popular attractions. The nightlife. 

People love sexy. You cannot deny that. Making a big deal over something like this is just churlish and silly.

Churlish   -substitute teacher   

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

But it actually happened in near a buddhist temple  in Bachok, 25km east of the state capital Kota Baru, Malaysia. Bachok has a sizeable Malaysian-Thai community.

Hard to even imagine the ramifications of sexy dancing on temple grounds, or near a temple. The very fabric of society could unravel, leaving nothing but moral depravity in it's place. We must guard against this kind of thing!

Sodom and Gomorrah all over again!

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Enoon said:

The Islamist party had said concerts by foreign artists were against the values of Malaysia’s Muslim-majority population and will promote a hedonistic culture."

Yet not any objection to Thai subjugation of the Islamic Kingdom of Patani and decades suppression of Malay Muslim insurrection. Duplicity is thy name.

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What's the problem? Was anybody harmed?

If people don't like to see sexy girls, then don't go there and don't watch! 

like the article also reported that the crowd joined  in the singing and dancing as they obviously LIKED it.  I did not see any photos of "scantily" costumes, as a matter of fact see them with sexier clothes on daily tv in Thailand!

• Like 1

Only people complaining are the typical conservatives who are absolutely in the minority.

Mostly old women and aged men married to old women.

Bring on the scantily clad and climb out of this dreadful regime style conservatism that's been dragging this country down for the last 10 years! 

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Such silliness. Alot of this fake purity likely originates from the government. The goons in charge are focusing their efforts in all the wrong areas. They are trying to make Thailand a Quaker State. A land of purity. Total BS. Nonsense. Misplaced priorities, and wasted efforts. And likely completely fake and hypocritical. No doubt these terribly misguided fools are trying to rid Thailand of one of its most popular attractions. The nightlife. 

People love sexy. You cannot deny that. Making a big deal over something like this is just churlish and silly.

Don't worry, last time I was in The south, Songkla and Had Yai were full of Malaysians in the weekends,...al hotels were full booked. Thai Nightlife is still a whole lot more attractive than the Malaysian one

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, off road pat said:

Don't worry, last time I was in The south, Songkla and Had Yai were full of Malaysians in the weekends,...al hotels were full booked. Thai Nightlife is still a whole lot more attractive than the Malaysian one

Well, that is not saying much! Suppressing human nature does not work. History has shown us that. Malaysia is a suppressed society, due to the influence of the Imans. So, what do suppressed people do?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingstonkid said:

I agree to the point that Islamic law is totally different to what we are used to.  The thing that we as on Islamic followers fail to understand is that this is their law and religion.  Living in Pakistan you quickly learn the rules and the way things are done.  Good Muslim men do not drink (in Publilc)  They will go to a restaurant and have tea that they have brought with them.

Had a head of local government in Lahore come to a meeting in a hotel and when we started I asked him if he wanted a drink water, soda, tea coffee.  He looked at me strangely and asked if I had any beer or whiskey LOL

I turned the tables on him at dinner when I offered him a cup of tea and suggested that he would really love the grape flavour 

In KL with work, the company I was working for were taken out to what may be termed a high-end (and rather secretive) club.

Government officials were also there...  very drunk and very 'handsy' with the 'entertainment'....    these very same people painted a image of puritanical moral discipline in the public eye....   nice guys, but the overwhelming degree of hypocrisy was quite overshadowing for me and lent itself to an underlying feeling of distrust...

Of course, we can't tar everyone with the same brush...  I'm sure there are many very strict muslims in such areas who are not hypocrites, but as Westerners we are perhaps less exposed to them given the reduced opportunity for crossed paths (generally due to location, different pasttimes etc).

7 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I love these temple do's the way you pay 10b for a garland, and then, they are collected, taken back to the vendor who then resells them, to whoever for the next performer. 

Malis are usually 20 baht these days, inflation!

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Only people complaining are the typical conservatives who are absolutely in the minority.

Mostly old women and aged men married to old women.

Bring on the scantily clad and climb out of this dreadful regime style conservatism that's been dragging this country down for the last 10 years! 

Mostly muslims, wherever Islam spreads misery follows. There are many muslim Thai singer but you would not know it eg Bowee, Cham Cham Ram, Rachonok Sinlophan etc

Edited by proton
  • Thumbs Up 1