By the way

A couple of return trips ago, had an unsmiling officer (male). There was a very long line, so maybe it was a bad day, dunno. Anyway starts asking about hotel reservations, I point out that I'm married and got a house, checks again, and we do some more of this until he gets it. To regain face, starts asking questions - then turns out he's originally from the town next door. A couple of minutes small talk about local stuff and it's all smiles. Important thing is to know when to keep it cool and polite. There's a time and place for aggro, immigration ain't it.

Most times (in about 20 years or so), it's a breeze, often with nice smiles all about.

Edited by Morch
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

54 minutes ago, Ali Katz said:

Been coming to Thailand for over 40 years and this most recent arrival was a complete shock.  Saawaadi I pleasantly say. Ha! She was the Nurse Ratchet of Thai immigration. Ticket ticket ticket she starts chattering, emphasizing with  a sharp clanking sound on her desk. Than for some change up she adds hotel reservations hotel reservations etc. I'm gobsmacked.  It's never been nothing but smile and stamp and go previous times. No way shape or form this time. Luckily her supervisor had a more congenial sabai sabai attitude and just let me know times have changed at least  for American passport holders but they had succeeded putting the scare into me. Next time buyer beware! 

Did you feel you were going to be denied entry? if so why?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Ali Katz said:

Been coming to Thailand for over 40 years and this most recent arrival was a complete shock.  Saawaadi I pleasantly say. Ha! She was the Nurse Ratchet of Thai immigration. Ticket ticket ticket she starts chattering, emphasizing with  a sharp clanking sound on her desk. Than for some change up she adds hotel reservations hotel reservations etc. I'm gobsmacked.  It's never been nothing but smile and stamp and go previous times. No way shape or form this time. Luckily her supervisor had a more congenial sabai sabai attitude and just let me know times have changed at least  for American passport holders but they had succeeded putting the scare into me. Next time buyer beware! 

maybe something about you raises a red flag and requires further questioning. i wouldn't take it personal it's their job after all. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Because it's just one Immigration Officer out of hundreds.

One officer out of hundreds that should not have a job at immigration!

She see's perhaps hundreds of tourists a day, just think about the damage she alone is doing to Thailand's tourism reputation!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, fondue zoo said:

If it happens what can you do, just breathe, know that your holiday awaits just steps beyond them, and imagine that she probably wanted to be an artist/writer, but she has to deal with all our smelly asses.

- smelly because no bum gun yet.

People can also have bad days. I know I do. Maybe no hot water in the morning. Maybe someone scratched the car. No coffee. Boss saying something nasty as the shift starts. Whatever.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ali Katz said:

Saawaadi I pleasantly say.

Left off the polite "krub," so unwelcome familiarity. Possibly mangled pronunciation as well. She immediately had you pegged as a phony trying a distraction from possible paperwork issues.

But given what they have to deal with day in and day out, I don't see how any IOs would be happy and pleasant. I wouldn't, in their jobs. That said, they've always been sufficiently pleasant with me. I don't at all mind a businesslike attitude; it IS business. Let's get it over with quickly. 

Cut 'em some slack.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks everyone, well most of you anyway for your responses.  All I know is they successfully succeeded in putting the fear into me. No way am I showing up at Swampy again w/o a onward ticket and reservations from now on. Chok dee to you all. YMMV

Edited by Ali Katz
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

It must be annoying when many travelers are unaware of need to provide it. 

It's not widely publicised so the average traveller can be forgiven. Just like how they don't publish all the actual requirements for obtaining visas and extensions.

I don't recall ever being told by "officialdom" that I needed to retain my boarding pass to present to Immigration, I picked that up along the way after a fair amount of flying.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

I don't recall ever being told by "officialdom" that I needed to retain my boarding pass to present to Immigration, I picked that up along the way after a fair amount of flying.

Strange ....I picked it up on my first  ever visit to Thailand when the io asked for it. 

It's also required at some other countries airports..

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

It must be annoying when many travelers are unaware of need to provide it. 

And have already thrown it away. If so, they've shown they don't have enough sense to be admitted to Thailand. They should be refused entry and provided a free phone call to alert their caregivers to pick them back up at home.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Strange ....I picked it up on my first  ever visit to Thailand when the io asked for it. 

It's also required at some other countries airports..

Thanks for proving my point, namely that you weren't aware of the requirement until you got to the Immigration counter, by which time the boarding pass could be anywhere.

The time to inform passengers that they need to present passport AND boarding pass is firstly on the plane before landing and then maybe a visual reminder on a big screen/screens whilst the passengers are waiting in the line.

SYD does the big screen thing when you go into the "Customs" area. Thailand airports could do the same if they pulled their finger out, then maybe their staff wouldnt get annoyed by all the n00b passengers who left the boarding pass on the plane or stuffed it where the sun don't shine.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1