New passaport while in overstay

Can someone who is in overstay situation,  go to their Embassy and make a new  passport? Or the Embassy doesn't release him due to overstay. PS: before anyone wonders or asks me, I'm not the one who's overstayed. Thank you,

8 minutes ago, Mika78 said:

Can someone who is in overstay situation,  go to their Embassy and make a new  passport? Or the Embassy doesn't release him due to overstay. PS: before anyone wonders or asks me, I'm not the one who's overstayed. Thank you,

It doesn't matter...     this can't be circumnavigated. 

Even with a new passport the biometrics remain (Name / Nationality / DOB etc)... 

Thus, any new passport will be linked to the old passport and any overstay immediately recognised by the Immigration system upon departure. 

The only intelligent option is to depart and pay the fine. 

Deal with the ban if over 90 days overstay.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Someone isn't well organized. I can't see it makes any difference to the embassy whether he's on overstay or not, an embassy isn't a Thai police station and they are duty bound to supply their citizens with travel documents.

Agree it is not an issue for the embassy, or which agency they get to renew passports.

But Uk citizens do not have a statutory right to a passport, since 2013. I cannot believe this would ever happen for an just overstay.

Richard Smith above has given good advice.

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/the-issuing-withdrawal-or-refusal-of-passports

53 minutes ago, Mika78 said:

Are you planning on overstaying very soon so need some info for the future?

Edited by bbi1
  • Confused 1

51 minutes ago, nikmar said:

I don’t know about any other nations but for UK passports, you need to apply independent of the British Embassy. There is a process whereby you go to Trendy Building on Soi 13 in Bangkok.

Long time ago, I was on overstay (1 year), I applied, received and then went to the airport with my 20 000 bt and paid the fine. This was before the blacklisting that occurs now so I could return almost immediately.

It is only Thai Immigration that care about the overstay. It shouldn’t stop you applying for a new passport.

A new passport can be applied for - If the question is whether or not the overstay will be reported - that could be on a case by case basis. 

The underlying implication of the Op is that with a new passport, the overstay cannot be identified (as there is no longer an entry stamp in the replaced passport)...   This thinking is fundamentally flawed. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Mika78 said:

It's not an independent country's embassy's job to check or prosecute for overstay in a foreign country so as long as the person applying meets all the requirements and provides all forms and documentation for a new passport, there should not be an issue. Whether the receiving staff decides to report the overstay to immigration or not, nobody can guarantee that one way or another.

No problem to apply for a new passport while on overstay. Plenty of reports about that over the years.

Think about it. Why would a foreign embassy in Thailand refuse to issue a passport to an overstayer, considering that a valid passport is required to resolve the overstay with the Thai authorities?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Caldera said:

...considering that a valid passport is required to resolve the overstay with the Thai authorities?

I missed mention of expired pp.

As mentioned ...the chap should exit Thailand asap , pay fine, and nick off. 

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

No problem to apply for a new passport while on overstay. Plenty of reports about that over the years.

Think about it. Why would a foreign embassy in Thailand refuse to issue a passport to an overstayer, considering that a valid passport is required to resolve the overstay with the Thai authorities?

There was no mention that the existing passport is not valid - it the permission to stay in Thailand that has expired.

2 hours ago, buick said:

your friend could report passport as 'lost' and request a new one.  some agents are able to clear overstays, the first step is getting a new passport.

Which agents can clear an overstay ???  The overstay is already in the system.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, proton said:

What would be the point? new passport worse overstay situation. LEAVE ASAP

Won’t make the overstay go away.

I’m assuming passport expired. 

Delay might make go to worse of bad if leads to the blacklist (FORBIDDEN 1 year) 90+day overstay surrendered to authorities at airport. 

Maybe OP wants to go to a third country and is needing a valid passport? On my case I would need at least an ETD from consulate or Embassy Consular section of passport(s) were expired. 

Edited by Captain Monday

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It doesn't matter...     this can't be circumnavigated. 

Even with a new passport the biometrics remain (Name / Nationality / DOB etc)... 

Thus, any new passport will be linked to the old passport and any overstay immediately recognised by the Immigration system upon departure. 

The only intelligent option is to depart and pay the fine. 

Deal with the ban if over 90 days overstay.

That doesn't work because if on overstay they detain at the airport lol.

SO ensure you have the funds to book a second flight, lawyer representation and other things for when you are detained, charged, miss flight, court, detention, then deportation on a Thai Airways flight later.

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

That's correct: just want to know if the Embassy will issue a new passport or not.

5 hours ago, treetops said:

OP has been posting about his fictitious friend on overstay since October and just needs to bite the bullet and leave or resign himself to hiding forever.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1310066-overstay/

There is not "fictitious" friend.

I no need to bite the bullet

I no need to leave

I no need to resign myself and hiding forever

Do you want name and surname of the overstayer so you can report it and make your day?

• Haha 1