Which is preferable, a marriage visa or a retirement visa?

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Being from Oz I cannot provide income letter from embassy.

Currently I am using funds in bank method.

At the same time am doing monthly transfers and hoping to change to income as I will be able to show 12 months of transfers when my next extension is due.

The difficulty I cannot show funds come from "pension" 

AU is very different to UK and USA 

I have never had to show that the funds came from a pension, US citizen Rayong Immigration

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

Posters on here are saying the health insurance is only needed if your retirement visa and extension are an O-A visa.

Though none of them are saying what other retirement based visa and extension there is and why others would still choose the O-A visa when there is apparently another retirement based visa and extension for aliens from most developed world countries. 

that would be an O visa based on retirement I got mine in Thailand, orginally eight years ago came into Thailand on an OA Visa, my choice did extensions for five years and then switched to an O, too me and many others the OA is no longer a desirable option

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

So why on Earth does anybody get a Non OA visa for retirement when they can simply arrive, then get a Non O based on retirement in country and not need insurance?

A non O-A is a visa valid for 12 months and is multi entry.

If you exit and reenter just prior to it's expiry you would be stamped in for a other 12 months.

This effectively gives you 2 year stay.

Yes it requires insurance for both years  but an added bonus it that it does not require funds in Thai bank account.

Annual extensions from a non O require insurance for retirement only.

Not required for extensions based on marriage 

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Wrong.
You do not require mandatory health insurance for an extension of stay on a non-imm 'O' based on retirement. Period.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

So why on Earth does anybody get a Non OA visa for retirement when they can simply arrive, then get a Non O based on retirement in country and not need insurance?

Because they can show finance from their own country not Thailand and also if used correctly you can get 2 years from the visa. The drawback is compulsory insurance, a police report and a stupid medical form showing you do not have some extinct medical conditions signed by a doctor.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

56 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

A non O-A is a visa valid for 12 months and is multi entry.

If you exit and reenter just prior to it's expiry you would be stamped in for a other 12 months.

This effectively gives you 2 year stay.

Yes it requires insurance for both years  but an added bonus it that it does not require funds in Thai bank account.

Extensions for an O  do not require insurance if you came in on an based on Retirement then yes insurance is required unless you switched in to one based on marriage

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

What retirement visa and extension do people from most developed countries get that is based on retirement and isn't an 'O-A'? Why would retirees get an 'O-A' that requires insurance if there is another retirement based visa and extension that doesn't? 

OA use to be a sweet

On 12/1/2023 at 8:35 AM, Espanol said:

I am retired, over 60 years old, and married to a Thai citizen.
Therefore, I am eligible for both a retirement visa and a marriage visa.

In my case, what would be preferable? A marriage visa or a retirement visa?

Both for ease of obtaining it and for price.

Thanks for your advice and comments

It's a personal choice of preferences, but I would definitely choose "retirement extension of stay" – it's not a visa – as it's more secure and simple.

Secure: Because you are not dependent of a marriage to stay in Land of Smiles.

Simple: Less paperwork and documentation when applying for yet another year of extension of stay, and no need for a wife to be present.

The only two downhill things in my view by choosing "retirement" instead of "marriage" are:
1) You need more money in a bank deposit – i.e., 800k baht instead of 400k bah for a limited period – or higher a monthly income of 65k baht instead of 40k baht.
2) You are not allowed to work as retiree, while you on a marriage extension of stay can obtain a work permit.

• Thanks 1

On 12/1/2023 at 6:51 PM, IvorBiggun2 said:

I do a Marriage Visa (Extension) I do have enough money to do a Retirement but I don't see much difference or hardship. Okay a little bit more paperwork but its nothing to moan about.

I have been doing the marriage extension for over 6 years now, originally I went to do the marriage extension, but as they talked to the wife who said to me that they said, it was a slow process and would take over a month to be approved, whereas the retirement extension would be approved now, and if I wanted too, I could do the marriage extension the following year, so I agreed.

I then swapped to a marriage extension in year 2, they weren't happy about that and it hasn't been an easy road since then, lots of changes when applying, different "rules" for that year and so on which meant that I had to return with more docs, if I didn't have them with me.

Next month when the marriage extension is due, I will go back to the retirement extension as I am sick and tired of putting up and seeing these clowns who will do anything to make what should be an easy task, difficult, because of their laziness. I can't think of any other reason for their reluctance to make it easy, more work for them as I understand it from other farangs and the docs get checked elsewhere, so they have to make sure it's all good, whereas inhouse for the retirement extension, doesn't need to be checked by anyone.

Last two times when told to go back for the stamp on the due date, it wasn't back from the division they send it too, which costs me fuel and a 3 hour round trip, that said, at least doing the retirement extension, I will save a trip going back for the stamp, and a trip to the Amphur to get a "we are still married" piece of paper for them, albeit that I have to have 400k baht extra in the bank.

The 90 days is easy online, so once a year going in, and not dropping below 400k baht in the bank will be worth it for me.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Next month when the marriage extension is due, I will go back to the retirement extension.... snip

Make sure that your wife attends immigration with you.

That is most often required when switching from extensions based marriage to based on retirement 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Make sure that your wife attends immigration with you.

That is most often required when switching from extensions based marriage to based on retirement 

Thanks for that, will make sure she comes along as I wasn't thinking of taking her with me, you've probably saved me another trip.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Thanks for that, will make sure she comes along as I wasn't thinking of taking her with me, you've probably saved me another trip.

It's down to accepting that you were still married at time of change to based on retirement 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:
12 hours ago, Kalasin Jo said:

If the wife dies doesn't the existing permission extension continue to its expiry?

Seems I was wrong in assuming it would expire immediately.

You are not wrong. Death of your wife does expire the extension. 

However in all cases I know of when an IO was asked they said ignore the law and treat the extension as if it were still valid. Some even said that they did not hear the question, the meaning of the “deafness” was clear.

I have never heard of a case where anything was said to the surviving spouse when they came to renew.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/2/2023 at 9:03 AM, CecilM said:

No difference in price getting it. 

Main differences (without listing all other items required) are:

Marriage needs wife to accompany each year when renewing; and 400k.  

Retirement needs health insurance; and 800k.

Which one is better? Comes down to personal preference. 

Only OA visas require health insurance

15 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

An extension based on a previous OA entry also requires health insurance, so NO it is not only the OA VISA that has the requirement.

That's correct and in addition to extension from a non O-A based on marriage insurance is not required, however first ever extension from a non O-A needs to be based on retirement. 

On 12/2/2023 at 9:26 AM, DrJack54 said:

Being from Oz I cannot provide income letter from embassy.

Currently I am using funds in bank method.

At the same time am doing monthly transfers and hoping to change to income as I will be able to show 12 months of transfers when my next extension is due.

The difficulty I cannot show funds come from "pension" 

AU is very different to UK and USA 

At CW I have been asked one time if I had a pension when applying for retirement extension using income method. My reply was YES, end of conversation.

Can't recall if it was the time I changed from money in bank to income method.

7 minutes ago, norbra said:

At CW I have been asked one time if I had a pension when applying for retirement extension using income method. My reply was YES, end of conversation.

Yes ....

Think best policy for those not using pension but rather rents, shares etc ..is to make a transfer of consistent amount same date every month.

Currently I'm transferring 100k on 15th of every month. CW.

3 minutes ago, Jack1988 said:

Retirement visa much better. Don't go into marriage in Thailand, you will only lose money for this Thai wife

This is a very common post of yours and clearly due to bad personal experience.

Extension based on marriage is an excellent option for married folk.

Granted more paperwork however sweet deal financials. 

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

An extension based on a previous OA entry also requires health insurance, so NO it is not only the OA VISA that has the requirement

The OA visa also requires a criminal record check which I think may even require "notarising"    and some sort of medical certificate too, money is also required but this can be in your home country bank account.  

Never sounded particularly appealing for me for at least one of the above  

13 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

This is a very common post of yours and clearly due to bad personal experience.

Extension based on marriage is an excellent option for married folk.

Granted more paperwork however sweet deal financials. 

thai womens only see foreigner like an opportunity to take as much money they can from him, is nothing new in thailand

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Never sounded particularly appealing for me for at least one of the above  

It certainly is a pain.

Prior to requiring insurance it was very popular.

Provided almost 2 year stay and did not require having funds in a Thai bank.

Not popular now. 

• Agree 1