Which is preferable, a marriage visa or a retirement visa?

28 minutes ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

Wondering what's the opportunity cost of using an agent instead of keeping the money in a Thai bank?

The opportunity cost of locking up 800k per year is significant compared to eg money in shares etc.

However the OP did not ask about agents 

16 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

Marriage. 400k+wife.

Retirement. 800k+health insurance. 

I think the retirement extension requires health insurance if on “O-A” Visa. That is why I switched to marriage while remaining in Thailand (did no have to exit and apply for a new “O” Visa to avoid health insurance requirement).

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, flexomike said:

Insurance is only required if you have an OA visa or extension of the visa. O visa does not require insurance

42 minutes ago, Wrwest said:

I think the retirement extension requires health insurance if on “O-A” Visa. That is why I switched to marriage while remaining in Thailand (did no have to exit and apply for a new “O” Visa to avoid health insurance requirement).

What retirement visa and extension do people from most developed countries get that is based on retirement and isn't an 'O-A'? Why would retirees get an 'O-A' that requires insurance if there is another retirement based visa and extension that doesn't? 

1 hour ago, flexomike said:

But you do not need to lock up 800,000 in the bank, you can transfer 65,000 in EVERY month which you can spend the day it is brought in

I was informed of this (65000/month transfer for retirement extension) by immigration this year.

Have you actually done this, and were you approved?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

No difference in price getting it. 

Main differences (without listing all other items required) are:

Marriage needs wife to accompany each year when renewing; and 400k.  

Retirement needs health insurance; and 800k.

Which one is better? Comes down to personal preference. 

I was originally on married extension but when I changed to retirement it was a lot less paperwork and no photos in this or that room. Unfortunately, a couple years after I got divorced but that did not affect the yearly extension. On a marriage extension then divorce what happens? I assume one has to change.

2 hours ago, flexomike said:

But you do not need to lock up 800,000 in the bank, you can transfer 65,000 in EVERY month which you can spend the day it is brought in

Being from Oz I cannot provide income letter from embassy.

Currently I am using funds in bank method.

At the same time am doing monthly transfers and hoping to change to income as I will be able to show 12 months of transfers when my next extension is due.

The difficulty I cannot show funds come from "pension" 

AU is very different to UK and USA 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, CecilM said:

Retirement needs health insurance; and 800k.

Posters on here are saying the health insurance is only needed if your retirement visa and extension are an O-A visa.

Though none of them are saying what other retirement based visa and extension there is and why others would still choose the O-A visa when there is apparently another retirement based visa and extension for aliens from most developed world countries. 

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, OJAS said:

@bluemoon58 is 100% correct.

Total tosh.

"A Visa extension allows a traveler to stay in the country for a little longer until they can go back to their homeland. "

Any entry made in ones passport giving one permission to stay is a visa. So basically an extension is a visa. Doh

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, JeffersLos said:

What retirement visa and extension do people from most developed countries get that is based on retirement and isn't an 'O-A'? Why would retirees get an 'O-A' that requires insurance if there is another retirement based visa and extension that doesn't? 

I’m originally from the US.  It was possible to get a non-O there then extend my stay here in Thailand based on retirement.  Instead I arrived on a tourist visa, applied and received a non-O in Thailand which was much easier than applying for it back in the US.  The past 4 years I applied for extensions of stay based on retirement based on income.  I bring in 65000 each month.  Never had any trouble.  I am married to a Thai and could do the marriage extension but as others have said, there is more paperwork and the 30 day under consideration period.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

What do you mean by price.

Assume that you plan to do this by yourself without agent.

Financials for marriage are ridiculously easy compared to retirement.

Paperwork for marriage requires more (much) than retirement.

Also extensions marriage require home visit (most) and an under consideration period 

Up to You

Have another question about retirement visa.I will arrive in dec with a new non O 90 days SE that I received in Sweden and wish to make an extension 12 month.Is it an option to only show so called "Embassy Letter" for The Immigration office in Rayong(Sweden still does have this service) to replace other financial documents?The reason I ask is that I read it in the official application paper as a "or" option and will make things more easier compared to the bank method.

I will be grateful if any one have any experience to to tell about this.

48 minutes ago, Anrude said:

The reason I ask is that I read it in the official application paper as a "or" option and will make things more easier compared to the bank method.

I will be grateful if any one have any experience to to tell about this.

If your Embassy issues guaranteed letters of income that should be the normally accepted method for extensions of stay - the 65k per month into Thai account was a special provision allowing those from the major countries not providing such letters to qualify using income rather than bank deposit.

53 minutes ago, jimn said:

A Non OA only available from own country requires insurance. 

A Non O available from own country or Thailand does NOT require insurance. 

So why on Earth does anybody get a Non OA visa for retirement when they can simply arrive, then get a Non O based on retirement in country and not need insurance?