Could you be a beach bum for a year?

bignok

1 hour ago, Prubangboy said:

If you can't make a structure for yourself and stick to it, that's where you're headed. Say what you will about booze and drugs, they are very effective and wonderful time fillers.

Prob not even one person in a hundred can live an un-externally motivated, unstructured life happily or productively (me neither). In a place where everyone else is either adrift or on vacation (means: temporarily very happy adrift), motivation and traction will be hard to find.

Since I moved to Chiang Mai 15 months ago, I've done about a third of what I thought I might do. So a fair bit better than average.

But on a less stimulating, less stuff to do-place like the beach?  The people who don't go mad there came with a purpose like yoga-teaching or having a business. The golfers here take some stick, but showing up for the golf game is a very useful way to structure your day or week.

Structure is good. How to balance it with fun. Game of life. Thats why religion works for some. Provides order. Golf is 6.5km of walking so basically good except for back strain if you swing hard.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

Seinfeld said, "An old guy need a place to go to". 

I go to the gym, the pot store for a little hang, and then to a we-work space. If I were staring at the sea all day, very little book-reading would occur. 

1990s boy you are.

1 hour ago, Prubangboy said:

Perhaps the trickiest, thorniest life style enhancer to line up.

My long ago time on Ko Chang often had a guy move into the hut next to me with a girlfriend du jour. I'd ask to move or check out.

That lady wants to be back with her friends, not trapped with horny, bored Farang Curuso and nothing to do. Loud fighting ensuing no later than the morning of day 2.

I was referring to my lovely girlfriend of 10 years so we wouldn't be noisy or unpleasant to be next to. Though every now and again she can go off the beam with her temper so there is that. 

11 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I was referring to my lovely girlfriend of 10 years  

Long may your blissful union run.

Does she have Thai female friends where you live? That seems to be the common denominator for relationship longevity. Poss harder for her to find on an island.

15 hours ago, bignok said:

After 15 +1. Then quadripple, double, bogey. Ended +8. 

+7 last 3. Broke my will to play.

I have always viewed a bad round as a learning experience. Winners don't give up - on anything.

12 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

Long may your blissful union run.

Does she have Thai female friends where you live? That seems to be the common denominator for relationship longevity. Poss harder for her to find on an island.

Thanks.  One of the secrets of a long relationship, as they say, is that we've spent at least half of it apart. She does have a good friend when in Australia - my thai ex wife. Wasn't always that way though. 

To add to your comment above - with the interweb and gyms at resorts and lots of restaurants etc  it somewhat gives you a place to be other than the beach. 

3 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

She does have a good friend when in Australia - my thai ex wife. 

To add to your comment above - with the interweb and gyms at resorts and lots of restaurants etc  it somewhat gives you a place to be other than the beach. 

You're living my nightmare. But if it works.....

Prob not a good idea, mental health-wise, to consider the internet as a "place" that you go to. Partic when you are otherwise very idle.

2 minutes ago, bignok said:

Mickey mouse course or decent challenge?

I would say halfway between the two.

IMO my best round ever was a one over par 73 around the Ocean Course of the National Golf Club in Australia. The course no longer exists. The members voted to have it redesigned after hundreds of complaints it was too hard.

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I would say halfway between the two.

IMO my best round ever was a one over par 73 around the Ocean Course of the National Golf Club in Australia. The course no longer exists. The members voted to have it redesigned after hundreds of complaints it was too hard.

Better than me.

1 minute ago, bignok said:

Better than me.

It's a bit sad you gave up golf on the strength of one bad round. It's good exercise in fresh air, suitable for someone my age.

Have you noticed most professional golfers live into a ripe old age?

I would be very happy to cark it on a golf course.

Just now, Lacessit said:

It's a bit sad you gave up golf on the strength of one bad round. It's good exercise in fresh air, suitable for someone my age.

Have you noticed most professional golfers live into a ripe old age?

I would be very happy to cark it on a golf course.

I played on but game got worse. Eventually gave up. Just a silly game. 

Walking is free. Rather do that.

16 hours ago, save the frogs said:

there is such a thing as too much sun.

and also too little sun. most people don't get enough. 

Sounds like something Berkshire Hathoway owners would do. Do all the rich people horde most of the sun and refuse to share it with other less fortunate?

Now where is that irony emoji?

Just now, Lacessit said:

IMO golf is a metaphor for life. It tests our character and resolve.

Or just a waste of money. Rather walk to a massage shop and back. At least I wont get angry for shooting 85. Those guys who play weekly and shoot 90 I cant see the point. Paying money to be hackers.

5 minutes ago, bignok said:

Or just a waste of money. Rather walk to a massage shop and back. At least I wont get angry for shooting 85. Those guys who play weekly and shoot 90 I cant see the point. Paying money to be hackers.

I was a self-taught golfer for many years. My game got progressively worse in my early fifties. Before that, I was very competitive.

I went to a teaching pro, and had ten lessons from him. A month after the lessons finished, I won a country tournament.

\Your problem is not your golf, just your attitude. I don't waste energy getting angry over a bad round.

6 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Remember Olinda golf course Lacessit - all the ups and downs. Think you hail from that part of the world too. Fun though. Golf not my thing though.  

It's gone now, a walking park. Warburton is similar.

Most hilly course I have played is Akaroa in New Zealand.

3 hours ago, Prubangboy said:

If you can't make a structure for yourself and stick to it, that's where you're headed. Say what you will about booze and drugs, they are very effective and wonderful time fillers.

Prob not even one person in a hundred can live an un-externally motivated, unstructured life happily or productively (me neither). In a place where everyone else is either adrift or on vacation (means: temporarily very happy adrift), motivation and traction will be hard to find.

Since I moved to Chiang Mai 15 months ago, I've done about a third of what I thought I might do. So a fair bit better than average.

But on a less stimulating, less stuff to do-place like the beach?  The people who don't go mad there came with a purpose like yoga-teaching or having a business. The golfers here take some stick, but showing up for the golf game is a very useful way to structure your day or week.

Yeah i play golf twice a week, cycle 4 times, good routine

18 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Would feel bored after one, or, at best, two weeks...

I did this last year.  Rented a bungalow near Ban Chaloklam, went swimming every day until the day that a box jellyfish stung me in the bay. The last 2 people stung by a box jellyfish on KPN died within 10 minutes.  I lay on the floor of a beach restaurant with my limbs jerking like a punk rocker dancer while the restaurant owner rubbed vinegar into my skin while we waited for the ambulance.  The Thai people watching said to each other 'Look, he will be dead in 5 minutes...'  I truly thought that I would die.

Happily for me, I did not die.  But it put me off being a beachbum on KPN

Easily, in the right place. Prefer the mountains but also love the beach. People talking of 'boring' are missing the point and are probably ruled by their mind/todger. I hear this from folk who say they could never retire because they would be bored. I mean, what the actual Fk like! Life is for living; get busy living or get busy dying and all that. Gotta be more to life than sitting in a bar all day. Swim, walk, exercise, read, play on your 'guitar', muse the universe + hundred other things. But, yes, having spent a large part of my life away from the normal banality of work/'life' in the West, I can easily do this.

• Like 1