What is that rotten stench coming out of the Taps?

bob smith

anyone else ever experience this?

Sometimes when I go to wash my hands or brush my teeth I get this god awful stench coming out of my taps like someone has just farted within an inch of my face..

Is it just me or is this a common occurrence in Thailand?

bob.

• Confused 2

15 minutes ago, bob smith said:

Sometimes when I go to wash my hands or brush my teeth I get this god awful stench coming out of my taps like someone has just farted within an inch of my face..

bob.

I noticed the same in every location i lived. Not sure it's coming from the tap, could be coming from the drain hole. Good Question.

Edited by Henk Langeweg
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Drains, water heaters, wells, and the inside of pipes can harbor bacteria. Usually, your water heater is the culprit when water smells of rotten eggs. The heater contains an element that protects it against corrosion, but this element can give off a rotten egg smell as it breaks down over time.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Drains, water heaters, wells, and the inside of pipes can harbor bacteria. Usually, your water heater is the culprit when water smells of rotten eggs. The heater contains an element that protects it against corrosion, but this element can give off a rotten egg smell as it breaks down over time.

I don't have a water heater..

4 minutes ago, bob smith said:

I don't have a water heater..

Okay then, have you got a shower with a heater in it? If not

Disinfecting, cleaning and flushing the drain should eliminate the odor. The reservoir/pressure tank may also be the source of such an odor. Cleaning and maintaining the reservoir/ pressure tank periodically can prevent bacteria from growing to levels that cause odor in the water.

1 hour ago, bob smith said:

It’s the remnants of your bowl movements.

Dump a mixture of sodium bicarbonate and hydrogen peroxide in the drains 

20 hours ago, bob smith said:

bob.

Foul water... I get the same sometimes, even brown water first thing in the mornings.

21 hours ago, liddelljohn said:

its the drains and sewer or septic tank    very common problem in Thai systems due to badly designed  plumbing or non existent  U Bends  and water traps

For sure... I'm having to check all the draining pipes and overflow pipes from the sink in my en-suite bathroom of my newly-built house, as I believe there may be no u-bend included and what I can smell is directly from the septic tank. As the smell disappears after running the taps for a while, I also think there may be a damaged u-bend which doesn't effectively block the smell permanently?? TIT

We have this problem only at one tap in the kitchen. It happens after sunlight hits the spigot for a while in the morning, and goes away after the water runs for around 15 seconds, so I think that there is bacteria in the water which multiplies in the heat. Before we put a skylight in the ktchen, we didn't have this problem. I want to get the water tested.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2023 at 11:17 AM, liddelljohn said:

Ajarn Martin

a lot of Thai U bends or water traps are not deep enough or evaporate in the heat and so no longer  form a barrier ....

Liddelljohn, thanks for this. I hadn’t even considered this phenomenon as a possible cause, but can see the logic. Now it is the ‘cool’ season here in Phetchabun and it’s a ‘balmy’ 40 degrees C so bring on the rainy season…