Any wine drinkers here ?

The Cobra

Can anyone recommend a nice Red wine that's readily available in Big stores like Big C Tesco Makro etc? 

I know nothing about the stuff and don't want to end up with something thats like Vinegar.

Any help appreciated., thanks.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

From the Forum Rules:

42. You will not advertise, display, promote, review or endorse, directly or indirectly, the name or trademark of any alcoholic beverage. Such actions are potentially in contravention of Section 32 of the Alcoholic Beverage Control Act (2008).

Posts with photos of bottles of wine have been removed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, proton said:

19 crimes is not bad 599 baht

+1 for 19 Crimes, either the Red Blend or the Shiraz. Available Big-C, Tops, Villa Market and no doubt a few more. If you have a Wine Connection in your area then they have a good selection of wines at reasonable (for Thailand) prices.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Best value for money / taste I've found is in Big-C Extra on Pattaya Klang Road, not seen it in their other stores or elsewhere.

Knight Black Horse (KBH) at just over 400THB. It's a Australian Cab Sav, but mixed with a bit of Thai Roselle to get round the high foreign alcohol import tax. Bottled at 13%. Also Roselle is used in lowering blood pressure, so essentially a health drink!

No hints of oxidation from the bottles I've drunk, so implies good cellaridge.  

Check the label carefully (yellow with black writing), as KBH also do a Mulberry-Roselle fruit wine which is cheaper, and technically isn't wine and a lot sweeter. A review on this esteemed organ back in 2020 used the word "antifreeze" as a means to describe the taste.

Currently the 2017 is on the shelves, the 2016 does have a slight edge though if you can get it.

Price did jump 5% about 6 months ago.

They usually have it in their bins, so laying down so the cork stays wet. Unlike an old Tesco store I saw recently that's got a bottle of Grange predominantly displayed upright in a lighted display cabinet, at a price that's nearly 2 months rent.

The key info before being able to answer this question is - where are you?

In Bangkok you have lots of choice. 

In the middle of nowhere you are stuck to what Big C may have on offer. 

If you just want something to wash down a bit of spicy Thai food, then a box of Mont Clare will tick a box. 

If you want something to wash down a steak then most Cabernet Sauvignons will do the trick.

Chilean Wines are well priced over here.

If you are in Bangkok and want better mid ranged wines then purchasing in bulk from online wine stores such as Wine Pro will mean you can get reasonable wines such as Appassimento, Montepulciano d'Abruzzo, Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc etc... 

There's plenty of choice here - half decent wine is more expensive here than it is in our western nations of origin, so are a lot of things, thats just the way it is and not really an intelligent point of debate.

Another issue with wine threads on this forum is that its impossible to have a good discussion without the 'reverse-snobs' getting involved with dumb sweeping generalisations.

• Like 1

Some fair comments here...

Wine tasting is all about sharing. However, quality wines could be hard to get here, because of:

• Choice
  • Price (taxes, margins)
  • Quality (storage)

Luckily, I manage to get my wines directly from France. I place an order twice a year (Champagne, Muscadet, Chinon, Sancerre, Chablis, Gevrey-Chambertin, Rielsing).

3 hours ago, The Cobra said:

Can anyone recommend a nice Red wine that's readily available in Big stores like Big C Tesco Makro etc? 

I know nothing about the stuff and don't want to end up with something thats like Vinegar.

Any help appreciated., thanks.

Sweet, semi-sweet. Dry?

Even if you answered I would not be able to help you because we almost never buy wine here , we go to Greece every summar and always bring back a few bottles . Always a bit more than we are avowed but no one has ever given us any trouble. 

Going to the US for Christmas and will bring back some with me when I come back.

I like a semi sweet wine, It reminds me of comunion :laugh: 

Take your smart phone with you when you go shopping for wine, and google the label to make sure it is to your preference (sweet, semi. or dry" you mentioned "not like vinegar" so I assume either sweet or semi.   

I used to drink a lot of wine in Australia - even had some in storage (once owned a Grange).

The wine in Thailand is massively over-priced and very under-quality.

I believe that is because the excise and duties and local taxes on imported wine is extreme.

But where is the local market/industry that they are protecting - it makes no sense at all (TiT).

I have looked everywhere and never found what I would call a decent wine in Thailand at a resonable price.

We once went to one of the Michellin 2 stars in Bangkok - they had a few nice wines - but extremely expensive.

Whenever we visit Australia we grab a couple of bottles each and bring them back.

I believe Singapore has very good wines available - but no idea of their prices.

• Agree 1

I found that I enjoy the taste of a Merlot  better than others . My question is  whether there is a more 
upmarket Merlot than   you can recommend   ,maybe even keep  for a while ?

Also  are there good Aussie Merlot  wine years  to buy  out here ?

2 hours ago, metisdead said:

Posts with photos of bottles of wine have been removed.

Off topic I know but this reminds me of the other Thai censorship - when you watch a film shown by Thai TV and someone is smoking - the censors blur it out which in my opinion only emphasises that nasty habit more!

Just now, Negita43 said:

Off topic I know but this reminds me of the other Thai censorship - when you watch a film shown by Thai TV and someone is smoking - the censors blur it out which in my opinion only emphasises that nasty habit more!

The 'Streisand effect'...   Trying to hide something and making it more noticeable. Thai authorities are experts at this.