Thai taxi turmoil: Fare fight leaves traveller abandoned on road to Pattaya (video)

webfact

17 minutes ago, expat_4_life said:

OOPS not LINE, my bad, it is LINE MAN ... in addition to metered taxis they also do food delivery and more

Strange as my LINEMan app doesn't have a taxi service.  Possibly because of my location in Bang Pa-In.  I was looking as taxis are not easy to get here and need to go to airport often.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, jtrump said:

Strange as my LINEMan app doesn't have a taxi service.  Possibly because of my location in Bang Pa-In.  I was looking as taxis are not easy to get here and need to go to airport often.

Could well be a location "thing", TBH I have only ever used it in Bangkok.
You got my curiosity up tho, will check when I'm in Rayong province for the holidays - thanks for the info :jap:

Ordered Taxi with Bolt Option,  seen I had 4 Bags not so big, smaller than people which is included in the order price, not per person so to speak.  Tried to up the price as an excuse- Desperate times maybe but I canceled and ordered regular economy car friendly guy turned up in no time with a pick up gladly gave him a tip. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NextG said:

I would have had no problem with this. He would have got precisely 0 baht from me. I would have called another car and not given him the opportunity to change his mind. At 1217+ baht down, he would have had ample opportunity to reflect on his behaviour. 

A Thai taxi driver reflect on their behaviour?
I don't think they would understand what that means, even if you tried explaining it to them.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, keith101 said:

I had friends come from Aus to play golf and have fun so on the way back to the airport in a taxi that the price was agreed on he pulled over halfway on highway 7 said he wanted more to which they said no he took a u-turn and told them to get out if they dont pay more and drove off when they wouldn't leaving them stranded maybe the same guy who knows 

So he didn't get a fair sized fare or a tip - who's the loser?

She shouldn’t have got into the taxi if it didn’t match the vehicle sent.  And as for the meter being covered.  When I used Grab, sometimes they send a taxi.  And the meter is covered sometimes.  Hopefully she also did report the driver to Bolt. 
The story is a little different though.  This time a foreigner wasn’t taken advantage of. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mokwit said:

This taxi anarchy* is out of control and seriously damages Thailand's image with tourists - they have just never experienced taxi drivers like this before.

* yes there are 'salt of the earth' drivers too.

Exactly.  Tourists hear about taxi issues from frequent visitors like me , then when they or anyone they know considers a vacation to Thailand they Google "taxi Thailand" and what pops up but chaos. 

• Like 1

I called one taxi driver that took me to Swampy (and succeeded in ripping me off around 200 baht)  "jai dam" just as I closed the door. 

I could tell by the expression on his face that he understood what I said (despite my accent).   Maybe he lost a little sleep over it. 

7 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

I called one taxi driver that took me to Swampy (and succeeded in ripping me off around 200 baht)  "jai dam" just as I closed the door. 

I could tell by the expression on his face that he understood what I said (despite my accent).   Maybe he lost a little sleep over it. 

Maybe he lost a little sleep over it. .....I Very Much Doubt That !!

• Agree 1

I wonder if the PM will be soon making yet another media announcement and forming a 'working committee' to solve the problem. Thailand just keeps shooting itself in the foot with regards to tourism and retired Expats. The never ending negative media stories just dont seem to stop. And arresting and then blacklisting a Chinese vlogger who said 'mean things' about Soi Nana was exactly the wrong thing to do.  Amazing.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/14/2023 at 8:31 AM, twizzian said:

A good way to antagonize him even more for a vulnerable woman, video every movement without being subtle about it.

Always the favorite approach’ mobile camera in the face.

And live stream the capture to a friend of relative...

On 12/13/2023 at 4:41 AM, mokwit said:

This taxi anarchy* is out of control and seriously damages Thailand's image with tourists - they have just never experienced taxi drivers like this before.

* yes there are 'salt of the earth' drivers too.

hardly out of control, sure there are some bad operators and more effective enforcement of them is needed, but this is thailand and it's not going to happen. in 20 years i've never had a issue with a taxi driver, if they quote a flat rate i decline, it's easy enough to find a driver who will use the meter. so, as they like to say here, it's up to you.

frankly, the woman was daft to get into a car she hadn't booked, very risky. any slight issue or negative intuition and i'm out of there.