7 police surrender over money extortion while police spy charged with rape

webfact

image.jpeg

Seven Prathum Thani Provincial Police officers and an alleged police spy turned themselves in at Pratunam Chulalongkorn Police Station in Bangkok on charges of extorting money and raping a female drug suspect.

A Thai woman and her boyfriend sought justice after accusing seven police officers in the central province of Prathum Thani of extorting 300,000 baht from them when they were arrested for drug possession. The officers allegedly gave them a lighter sentence in exchange for the money.

The woman also accused a police officer in the group of raping her and demanding another 30,000 baht. The rapist claimed that he had helped her negotiate with a senior police officer, so he should get something special in return. She had to comply with his request, fearing that her friend would be severely punished.

After the couple went public with the matter on December 11, seven accused police officers visited Pratuman Chulalongkorn Police Station on December 13 to acknowledge the accusations.

by Petch Petpailin

TOP: The police spy, 45 year old Sakkarin Rodraem, surrendered. | Photo via ThaiRath

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-12-15

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, webfact said:

The woman also accused a police officer in the group of raping her and demanding another 30,000 baht

What a mess... and only 30,000 baht for rape? for starters, those guys should be jailed like for ever and the woman compensated for no less than much, much bigger amount than what she's asking now...

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

I think you misunderstood. The police officer was demanding an extra 30,000 from her.

"The woman also accused a police officer in the group of raping her and demanding another 30,000 baht"

where did you get that the police officer was asking the woman for 30,000 baht?

• Confused 3

3 minutes ago, ezzra said:

"The woman also accused a police officer in the group of raping her and demanding another 30,000 baht"

Read the whole paragraph again.

"The rapist claimed that he had helped her negotiate with a senior police officer, so he should get something special in return."

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

What a mess... and only 30,000 baht for rape? for starters, those guys should be jailed like for ever and the woman compensated for no less than much, much bigger amount than what she's asking now...

You read this wrong... So your reply is not accurate.... The policeman asked for an additional 30,000 baht and some sex because he negotiated the deal for her to pay the 300,000 and have the charges dropped

• Like 1

22 hours ago, webfact said:

The officers allegedly gave them a lighter sentence in exchange for the money.

Petch check your translations!, writing this drivel, it's not up to police, to sentence anyone. A lighter Charge yes NOT SENTANCING that is up to the courts surely. I could be wrong about Thai law as I'm just a mere Falang.

On 12/16/2023 at 9:03 AM, brianthainess said:

Petch check your translations!, writing this drivel, it's not up to police, to sentence anyone. A lighter Charge yes NOT SENTANCING that is up to the courts surely. I could be wrong about Thai law as I'm just a mere Falang.

Hint, don't yell with capitals unless you can spell. It just makes you look more dim than you probably are.

On 12/16/2023 at 5:29 AM, ChipButty said:

If they were drug dealers maybe the paid in cash and no trace, lets hope they got it from the ATM, 

All done via ATM according to the original news, so should be traceable.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/16/2023 at 11:08 PM, Stargeezr said:

What is a police spy? I never heard of that position in the police force before.

Amazing Thailand indeed.

Normally you could probably think informant, but this doesn't add up. Sounds like someone the police have used to do the dirty deeds for whatever twisted reasons they may have had.

On 12/15/2023 at 11:31 AM, ezzra said:

Right there.

Will those dealing with the accused police officers be squeaky clean themselves?  That's the problem with rotten apples, you often find that the whole sackful is much the same. I'd suggest that sorting out the corruption and wrong doing in some areas of authority (picking my words carefully) is an impossible task.

People who live in glass houses............and all that.