Crying need for holistic development to make Bangkok liveable

webfact

bangkok-600x338.png

In order to make Bangkok a livable city for everyone, experts are calling for a rethink of urban planning by prioritizing a holistic development strategy for each district based on local people’s needs and the urban comprehensive carrying capacity of the area.

Private sector-driven development

As a mega-city with more than 11 million inhabitants, Bangkok is known for its congested streets and bustling urban areas. The opening of a new shopping mall in the busy Phrom Phong area at the start of December has virtually paralysed a key section of Sukhumvit Road, triggering a public outcry on social media.

With more major development projects, such as large shopping malls and high-rise condominiums, continuing to sprout in the already densely populated central business districts, the city is suffering from overcrowding. Public disputes as a result of these mega-projects are also on the rise.

Yossapon Boonsom, managing director at Shma Company Limited and a prominent Thai landscape architect, pointed out that these problems are the result of unplanned development of the city, as until recently Bangkok had developed without proper urban planning.

Full story: Thai PBS 2023-12-16

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sig said:

I'm a little confused. So, if as of the start of this month this problem has come about at Phrom Phong and other major development projects continue to sprout presently bringing disputes... just how recent is it that Bangkok started developing with proper urban planning?

Maybe he's referring to 'party' or 4am opening zones? :burp::cheesy:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sig said:

Ok... I'm a little confused. So, if as of the start of this month this problem has come about at Phrom Phong and other major development projects continue to sprout presently bringing disputes... just how recent is it that Bangkok started developing with proper urban planning? I realize he didn't say directly that there is now developed planning, but "Until recently" it hadn't had such planning and saying "until recently", it certainly implies that it now does have proper planning, yet all the information preceding that statement says it has no proper planning.
So, is that landscape architect living in lala land? Are we to understand that within the last 2 weeks there has been a miracle change of proper urban planning? Or is this just another article with horrible translation?
Pardon me if there's some obvious thing I'm missing here. I'd be happily corrected and have my confusion dispelled.

I'm interpreting this to mean that in the past there was no planning at all, while now there's some planning, but it isn't sufficient to meet the city's needs, so a more effective system is required. But, yeah, it's confusing, so I might be totally wrong 🤷

• Thumbs Up 1

Particularly since the 2014 military coup, the government has built more bridges into Bangkok, more transportation means into Bangkok, more highways, more shopping malls, more high-rise condos but maybe a park or two.

Bangkok needs to be decentralized commercially and governmentally by shifting to further outlying areas. But I believe it's "city planning" has been more about strengthening presence of political-allied enterprises and government offices to maintain Bangkok as political powerhouse than as an environmental safe-haven for human habitat. 

50 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Is any of the plan addressing the fact that Bangkok is expected to be under water within a few decades from now? 

Don't be silly. We the planners won't be round by then so we don't need to worry about it. Meantime there's lots of profits to be made.

• Haha 1

Planning? Where did that spring from? Disorganised chaos is the order of the day, and has been for many many years. Before the Sky Train went up, Sukhamvit Road was 6 lanes of traffic, 5 north and 1 south in the mornings. Then sometime after lunch it was all change and became 5 south and one north. If that isn't mad, I don't know what is. The proverbial in a brewery is the only thing missing. Or is it? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The opening of a new shopping mall in the busy Phrom Phong area at the start of December has virtually paralysed a key section of Sukhumvit Road, triggering a public outcry on social media.

It was bad enough before the opening of the new shopping mall and people with common sense will have known about more paralysis. As stated before, BTS should have already planned their next expansion up to six coaches per train from the current four. There is overcrowding in these trains currently at most times of the day, but it is the only way to avoid the traffic below.

That is why it is just one septic tank as noted it is too late to start need to fix the corruption cause money allow any one to do as they please just do and build as you like no master plan no oversight with any power. While trillions are budgeted each years roads so they can drive fadter to kill themselves 

No infractrure to improve people lives.

In Pattaya. a smaller version of Bangkok, I see workers all the time digging up roads work stops officials are called all standing around scratching their head who the hell put that there? 🤣🤔

So the article is saying that Bangkok isn't a livable city? An after thought that's only 75 years too late. Surely they had to have thought about this every year for the last 6 decades, although never did anything about it because the financial interests don't benefit from mitigating when overdevelopment runs amok. Meanwhile, the city keeps sinking an inch per year and they keep adding millions of tons more concrete on top of the swamp anyway. In another 15 years the city could be largely under water, so that will fix all these issues stemming from the absence of any urban planning. Problem solved!

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Is any of the plan addressing the fact that Bangkok is expected to be under water within a few decades from now? 

8 hours ago, attento said:

How long before the predicted, rising sea levels render it under the sea ?

I think the Maldives is the canary in the coal mine, it's still not underwater and we have at least a few decades after it is to make "holistic development plans".

On 12/16/2023 at 9:06 AM, thailand49 said:

That is why it is just one septic tank as noted it is too late to start need to fix the corruption cause money allow any one to do as they please just do and build as you like no master plan no oversight with any power. While trillions are budgeted each years roads so they can drive fadter to kill themselves 

No infractrure to improve people lives.

Have you actually been to Bangkok? There's been more infrastructure development in the last ten years than in the 50 years preceding it. Very few cities globally have built such an extended system in such a short space of time. Drainage is massively improved, roads improved, underground electricity and communication cables in major streets, 2,000 electric busses on the streets with more ordered.

Bangkok has always been sprawling and messy but saying there has been no infrastructure development just makes me think you don't live here or have never been.

Bangkok mass transit in 1995 (when I arrived) didn't exist.

Bangkok mass transit in 1999:

Screen Shot 2023-12-17 at 20.38.25.png

In 2004:

Screen Shot 2023-12-17 at 20.38.39.png

In 2030 (and a lot of this exists already):

Screen Shot 2023-12-17 at 20.43.31.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Have you actually been to Bangkok? There's been more infrastructure development in the last ten years than in the 50 years preceding it. Very few cities globally have built such an extended system in such a short space of time. Drainage is massively improved, roads improved, underground electricity and communication cables in major streets, 2,000 electric busses on the streets with more ordered.

Bangkok has always been sprawling and messy but saying there has been no infrastructure development just makes me think you don't live here or have never been.

Bangkok mass transit in 1995 (when I arrived) didn't exist.

Bangkok mass transit in 1999:

Screen Shot 2023-12-17 at 20.38.25.png

In 2004:

Screen Shot 2023-12-17 at 20.38.39.png

In 2030 (and a lot of this exists already):

Screen Shot 2023-12-17 at 20.43.31.png

Oh yes Ive been although I dont live in Bangkok been in Thailand close to 20 years, aside from all the citing you do seen it first hand is so why are the people complaining.

Have you seen the sanitation where it goes, are the sidewalk still walkable, is the traffic on Sukhumvit better, is the air cleaner, can you drink the water, had it stop flooding,  has the corruption been reduced is the education system better, or maybe you are blinded in your isolated life because outside of it Thai people arent happy. What you cite like in Pattaya is location where tourist and masses can see how much improved but overall it hasnt there isnt a masterplan it is still ala carte.

On 12/18/2023 at 9:41 AM, thailand49 said:

Oh yes Ive been although I dont live in Bangkok been in Thailand close to 20 years, aside from all the citing you do seen it first hand is so why are the people complaining.

Have you seen the sanitation where it goes, are the sidewalk still walkable, is the traffic on Sukhumvit better, is the air cleaner, can you drink the water, had it stop flooding,  has the corruption been reduced is the education system better, or maybe you are blinded in your isolated life because outside of it Thai people arent happy. What you cite like in Pattaya is location where tourist and masses can see how much improved but overall it hasnt there isnt a masterplan it is still ala carte.

So you don't live here, therefore you can make blanket statements like "No infractrure to improve people lives." [sic] and then double down when I point out there's been a huge and impressive amount of infrastructure development in the time I've been here. From 0kms of electrified mass transit in 1995 to around 300kms today, to around 540kms in another 5-6 years.

Have you seen the sanitation where it goes: No, I don't follow it after it hits my toilet.

are the sidewalk still walkable: Yes, when they have them. Better in some areas than others.

is the traffic on Sukhumvit better: yes.

is the air cleaner: yes (outside of burning times when the whole country suffers)

can you drink the water: yes

had it stop flooding: generally yes, much much improved over the last 10 years with major drainage tunnels built under the city. Still get localised flooding in some areas after torrential downpours but it clears fairly quickly these days.
has the corruption been reduced: no, although I would say it is less conspicuous than it was in the Thaksin and earlier days.

is the education system better: probably not

We also have more parks (more added in the last 6 years than in the previous 25). It is no-where close to London for green space but it has been improved.

Anyway, I live here, you don't. I see huge amounts of infrastructure development and I benefit from it, you don't. Bangkok is by no means perfect but the improvements over the years have been amazing. So I would rather go with what I see with my own eyes than listen to someone who doesn't live here who says there has been no infrastructure development. Thank you.

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

So you don't live here, therefore you can make blanket statements like "No infractrure to improve people lives." [sic] and then double down when I point out there's been a huge and impressive amount of infrastructure development in the time I've been here. From 0kms of electrified mass transit in 1995 to around 300kms today, to around 540kms in another 5-6 years.

Have you seen the sanitation where it goes: No, I don't follow it after it hits my toilet.

are the sidewalk still walkable: Yes, when they have them. Better in some areas than others.

is the traffic on Sukhumvit better: yes.

is the air cleaner: yes (outside of burning times when the whole country suffers)

can you drink the water: yes

had it stop flooding: generally yes, much much improved over the last 10 years with major drainage tunnels built under the city. Still get localised flooding in some areas after torrential downpours but it clears fairly quickly these days.
has the corruption been reduced: no, although I would say it is less conspicuous than it was in the Thaksin and earlier days.

is the education system better: probably not

We also have more parks (more added in the last 6 years than in the previous 25). It is no-where close to London for green space but it has been improved.

Anyway, I live here, you don't. I see huge amounts of infrastructure development and I benefit from it, you don't. Bangkok is by no means perfect but the improvements over the years have been amazing. So I would rather go with what I see with my own eyes than listen to someone who doesn't live here who says there has been no infrastructure development. Thank you.

I guess as far as your narrow mind is concern only a person who lives in BKK can have a voice.

It wouldn't matter that I once did and continue for personal reasons several times a month a need to visit and not just areas to get a happy ending🤣

Im glad you feel there has been enough to improve your life but what about the Thais majority who still have to deal otherwise why the article. In spite of the transit where is the master plan I referrence since you live there

Like Pattaya there isnt one it is to fix the problem so people dont see it, kick it down the Soi if it come back we will budget and skim off the project later again.

Glad you dont give a <deleted> where it goes but a great deal ofThai do because they cant afford like you to live above it.

I have not only double down now have triple. You know what is coming if you want to continue. 🤔