Issue with Immigration at Sawanapoom

I work in UK in Summer and spend the winter in Thailand and have done so for many years. I have always applied for a multi-entry tourist visa giving me three 60 day entries. Usually I'll go for 30 days at immigration after the 1st entry expires then two visa runs after that giving me a total of 7 months after which I go home for work. In fairness I've pushed the rules to the limit over the years (ie walked across the border and come straight back in rather than spending any time in the other country etc) but have never overstayed or broken the rules. This time coming in through Immigration at Swampy the BIB pulled me over and grilled me for a hour (lots of questions about why I come to Thailand every winter etc). I asked them repeatedly if I'd broken any rules and they had to admit I hadn't, however they said I had been 'tricky' whatever thats supposed to mean. At the end of the grilling they said they'd let me in on my first entry but when that finished I'd have to call them and pay them what they called a 'special fee'. Anyway I didn't call them and instead got a 30 extension from Immigration office as I usually do. Today I received a call which I didn't answer but traced to a certain state financial dept at Swampy. So basically its them chasing me up for the 'special fee'. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience and what the upshot was. What concerns me is that they have flagged my passport when I try to leave (either for Visa run or just to go home) I will be pulled up and charged the special fee or worse. I'm aware I could get an Edu visa or similar but as I only want to be here another 4 months plus I'm on a tight budget I'm reluctant to do that. It also irks me that I'm being extorted to use a perfectly legal visa that I've already paid for but TIT. Any advice or insights would be appreciated.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, mokwit said:

To me nothing rings true about this. Sorry.

I'd be cautious of besmirching the good name of Thailand on a web board. They are kinda sensitive in that area these days.

Another brand new member claiming to have a problem at BKK airport. A couple of days ago it was another brand new member. I'm wondering if there's any legitimacy or just some bored old dudes creating a new account on here to stir up the pot. More legitimacy would come from long-term members here, but I've yet to see those members claim similar problems at BKK airport.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mokwit said:

To me nothing rings true about this. Sorry.

Correct.

Generally, corruption in Thailand is the sort used to grease the wheels of bureaucracy or to soften its obstructions, rather than the negative type which simply blocks your path.

My suspicion is he hasn't understood what they said at BKK, to the extent of being even paranoid to answer the phone. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Keelan74 said:

they said they'd let me in on my first entry but when that finished I'd have to call them and pay them what they called a 'special fee'. Anyway I didn't call them and instead got a 30 extension from Immigration office as I usually do. Today I received a call which I didn't answer but traced to a certain state financial dept at Swampy. So basically its them chasing me up for the 'special fee'.

You extended your stay here legitimately from an Immigration office so you have no need to be concerned (paranoid) about that.  How did you find out from where that (I'd guess) mobile number was calling?

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, mokwit said:
5 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Visitors to Thailand don't have to be AN members for all the years they come here.

In that case we should complement him on his knowledge of Thai visa ins and outs.

Why?  AN is not the only way to be informed about entry to Thailand.

• Thumbs Up 1