Need to send my father's remains back to the USA. Still unsure if it will be body or cremated remains.

jakow

Unfortunately my father passed away today and I need to send his remains back to the USA. I'm located in Thailand. I'm still figuring out with the family if it'll be his body or if he'll be cremated. This is all very sudden and we have no idea how to go about doing any of this. We checked one website that said sending the body back costs somewhere around 450,000 THB. Does that sound right? If anyone has ANY advice or suggestions we would really appreciate it. Thank you!

19 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

You might want to contact US Embassy as they can provide information on such matters and would have to release body.  If he lived here perhaps would prefer to remain. 

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/death-of-a-u-s-citizen/

Thanks. I'll be contacting them tomorrow morning. He actually moved here only two months ago, so he'd definitely prefer to be sent back to his birthplace.

My F-I-L passed away in Australia when we were living there.

He was cremated there and his ashes were posted back to the UK.

A little bit 'cold' but much less then 450,000 THB.

Cremation in Thailand is straight forward.

You will need to contact the embassy as the hospital will not release the body otherwise.

When my wife passed away at home, the police came to check that there was no 'foul play' and the hospital also needed a police report in order to release the body.

My wife was cremated here and as I live here, her ashes are at the local temple.

The really sad bit is that both the hospital and the morgue both wanted a 'payment' before releasing the body. (I refused and threatened to call the police. Body was released.)

• Agree 1

Sorry for your loss I think you posted an early one about wanted to get visas for your wife or family. I think your best bet would be contact that United States Embassy, either in Chang Mai or in Bangkok I’m sure they’ll be able to answer all your questions. Are you asking all these questions about people who may be never lost a family member member here and don’t have a clue but if you make one call to United States Embassy, I’m sure they can answer all your questions with no problem TIT.

18 hours ago, jakow said:

Unfortunately my father passed away today and I need to send his remains back to the USA. I'm located in Thailand. I'm still figuring out with the family if it'll be his body or if he'll be cremated. This is all very sudden and we have no idea how to go about doing any of this. We checked one website that said sending the body back costs somewhere around 450,000 THB. Does that sound right? If anyone has ANY advice or suggestions we would really appreciate it. Thank you!

I took my friends cremated remains on the plane and when I was in UK posted them to his daughter. I asked nobody. But really you need a letter. Ask a lawyer. 

Sorry for your loss.  First thing to do is go to the USA Embassy or Consulate.  They will advise you on everything that needs to be done.

If you feel overwhelmed with all of the things that you need to do, then maybe use a service to handle the entire process for you. Here's a link:    https://www.amarinternational.com/repatriation-services.html

A very good reliable company, where it says others you can specify take body to XXXX Temple. When they came to register his death at our Amphur they asked to pick up some of his clothes so they could dress him for his cremation. Their cost included a basic coffin. They did all the running around in BKK to embassy, death cert and releasing  the body from police forensics. 

IMG_20231218_170207.thumb.jpg.ac892ef57ace8d3aec1688b49b6e0e49.jpg 

1 hour ago, Crazy Noobie said:

Sorry for your loss.  First thing to do is go to the USA Embassy or Consulate.  They will advise you on everything that needs to be done.

If you feel overwhelmed with all of the things that you need to do, then maybe use a service to handle the entire process for you. Here's a link:    https://www.amarinternational.com/repatriation-services.html

He should be able to Phone his embassy, embassies are normally very helpful when it comes to death. also his death must be registered at the Amphur where he lived/died. 

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, brianthainess said:

He should be able to Phone his embassy, embassies are normally very helpful when it comes to death. also his death must be registered at the Amphur where he lived/died. 

Of course he could call, but good luck with that one. I tried phoning with a different issue and after numerous times finally got through. The main reason to go there, is they will give you a bunch of related papers with who to contact locally, checklist on what to do and etc. they are very helpful.

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, Crazy Noobie said:

Of course he could call, but good luck with that one. I tried phoning with a different issue and after numerous times finally got through. The main reason to go there, is they will give you a bunch of related papers with who to contact locally, checklist on what to do and etc. they are very helpful.

Well a lot different from the OZ embassy, when it involved a death, I didn't go there 'coz no point, once contact was made by phone, and informed them, I was given a direct number, and was also kept in touch with his sister, with reference to giving me Power of Attorney Via, their email, and a list of 3 funeral directors they recommended, AsiaOne was the first one I contacted and all went smoothly from there on, Again thanks to JANE and her staff at AsiaOne.

On 12/18/2023 at 2:41 PM, Sheryl said:

Sending the body is indeed very, very costly (and complicated). In fact would probably cost less for key family members to fly to Thailand to attend funeral than to do that.

Sending cremated remains is very easy. You can even take with you as accompanied baggage, I have done it.

This agency can help with everything including cremation or body preparation, the Embassy paperwork (you need a Certificate of Death Overseas from the Embassy and the Embassy in turn needs local death certificate etc to issue it) . They are every good and will not try to upsell you anything:

https://www.amarinternational.com/contact.html

Sorry for your loss.

I think a Thai based company would be easier in this case.

26 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I think a Thai based company would be easier in this case.

They are Thai based. Office in Bangkok and excellent, sensitive staff. 

Asia Division – Bangkok Office

Bio House Tower, 3rd Floor
55 Soi Phrompong, Sukhumvit 39
Klongtan Nua, Wattana
Bangkok 10110
Thailand

Office: +66 (0)2 258 5946

Mobile: +66(0) 92 859 5616

20 hours ago, Crazy Noobie said:

With US Embassy, in case of death of a US citizen, you can call 24/7 and get through to the Duty Officer, it is one of the most common tasks a Duty Officer has. You'll have to go through the general switchboard first, key thing to say are if it is after hours is  "need to speak with the Duty Officer to report death of a US citizen".  During working hours would just ask for American Citizen Services. 

Besides providing various lists, the Embassy will facilitate contacting next of kin in the US if needed, and also if needed facilitate communication with local authorities for family based out of country, of family in country who need help (translation etc). 

- has to give the green light for release of the body (which they will only do upon instructions from the Next of Kin. )There is  form for identification of Next of Kin which can be downloaded on Embassy website.

- will issue a  "Consular Report of Death Abroad" which serves in lieu of a death certificate in the US.  A Thai death certificate, even with notarized translation, will usually ot be accepted by US financial institutions and authorities so this document is critical. Even if there are absolutely no assets in the US, one would want this to claim the Social Security lump sum death benefit and (if applicable) survivor benefits. 

See https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/death-of-a-u-s-citizen/

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

Looks like an American company to me, just saying. 

It is not.

It is an offshoot of  Allison Monkhouse, an Australian funeral agency with an excellent reputation which branched out into handling deaths abroad about 30 years ago. Has been awarded for its free relief work, e.g. during the Asian Tsunami. 

Head office remains in Australia.  But large regional office in Bangkok has been operational for at least 20 years, maybe more., originally under the name Allison Monkhouse Co, Ltd. (Thailand).

I have dealt with them directly and also referred people there, consistently good results snd very reasonable costs.

• Thanks 1

very sad to hear of your loss OP ....   was he very old ... did he drink or smoke.

as Sheryl and many have already said,  logic and financially, it would be better to cremate him here and take the ashes back and have a farewell at his hometown.  

But, that's your decision ....