Renewing UK Passport, Proof of Address

I am trying to help an elderly UK citizen renew his passport. Advice on the following appreciated:

1. For proof of address in Thailand, can a UK bank statement be used? (Not on list of Documents Table A)

2.He does not live in Bangkok, does he need to go personally or can someone else submit paperwork?

3 If he has to go, will VFS allow someone to assist him when submitting application?

Thank you

I renewed my British passport earlier this year.

1. For proof of address I used my Thai driving license. If you are living in Thailand you have to use document with your registered Thai address and it has to be written in English.

2. I seem to remember having to sign some forms when I was there so I'm guessing he will need to go in person.

3. The staff should be able to assist him but I don't see it being a problem if he is accompanied by someone else. But that person should carry some sort of ID with them otherwise they may not be granted admission.

He will also need colour photocopies of every page of his old passport.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I printed of a statement from Kasikorn earlier this year, that was fine.

There numerous agents that will carry out the task, Thai Visa Express can do and your friend can post him his passport and all the forms.

l think 5,000 Baht is the standard fee, plus the fee for the passport.

I believe there are agents in most larger towns.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

I did it a few years back using an agent as there's no way I was going to Bangkok twice just to get a new passport.

Can't remember what I paid for the service.

For proof of address at the time I used a rental contract, one which we made in English especially for this purpose.

7 hours ago, pjbkk said:

1. For proof of address in Thailand, can a UK bank statement be used? (Not on list of Documents Table A)

In view of the reports upthread about Thai bank account statements printed in English being deemed acceptable, definitely no problem with a UK bank statement being used, I would have thought.

He should, however, take particular care to ensure that sort code and account number details are redacted from the copy given to VFS for security reasons.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

In view of the reports upthread about Thai bank account statements printed in English being deemed acceptable, definitely no problem with a UK bank statement being used, I would have thought.

Would a UK bank statement show your Thai address?

A "Letter of Certification" would suffice. This is a simple letter showing his Thai address, with a statement  stating that he and his wife - or partner, live at the above address. Both would sign verifying that the statement was true and the letter would be accompaned by a signed colour photocopy of the wifes/partners ID card.

.                                                                                                                                              ADDRESS                                  

DATE

HM Passport Office

Liverpool.

LETTER OF CERTIFICATION

Dear Sirs

I,  (name), do hereby certify that I live at the above address with my wife/partner  (give name). I have lived there for over XX years

I attach a signed copy of my wife’s National ID card,

I certify the above to be true.

1)  NAME……………………………………………………

2)   WIFES/PARTNERS  NAME ……………………………………………………

Yours sincerely

PASSPORT HOLDERS NAME

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, steve187 said:

he does not have to attend, someone can attend on his behalf, but everything needs to be completed correct, so for this i would recommend an agent, they are doing lots so they know the score, they will also pay for it as well, about ฿10,000 all in  

He would have to attend unless the photo had been countersigned. If no countersignature the VFS staff have to confirm appearance has not changed.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, prakhonchai nick said:

A "Letter of Certification" would suffice. This is a simple letter showing his Thai address, with a statement  stating that he and his wife - or partner, live at the above address. Both would sign verifying that the statement was true and the letter would be accompaned by a signed colour photocopy of the wifes/partners ID card.

.                                                                                                                                              ADDRESS                                  

DATE

HM Passport Office

Liverpool.

LETTER OF CERTIFICATION

Dear Sirs

I,  (name), do hereby certify that I live at the above address with my wife/partner  (give name). I have lived there for over XX years

I attach a signed copy of my wife’s National ID card,

I certify the above to be true.

1)  NAME……………………………………………………

2)   WIFES/PARTNERS  NAME ……………………………………………………

Yours sincerely

PASSPORT HOLDERS NAME

Strikes me as using a sledgehammer to crack a nut in order to comply with a requirement which VFS appear to have dreamt up entirely off their own bat, though.

1 hour ago, David in the north said:

I used Key Visa Pattaya 7 years ago
Very efficient
5,000 baht + 100 baht to EMS new passport
Intend using them next time if they are still in business
Live up in far north, so much easier than going to Bangkok

I have used them twice now, and just sending off the forms to renew my Son's British passport. Still same price except I think EMS is now 200 Baht. Good job I read this page as I did not know a proof of address was needed?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Just spoken to the girls at Keyvisa, Pattaya, and they will translate my Son's Tabian Bahn, Drivers Licence, and Thai I.D. (probably will not need all, but I am going to send a copy of each).

They are a great service, and I would have no hesitation in recommending them.

• Thumbs Up 2

23 hours ago, pjbkk said:

I am trying to help an elderly UK citizen renew his passport. Advice on the following is highly appreciated:

2.He does not live in Bangkok, does he need to go personally or can someone else submit paperwork?

3 If he has to go, will VFS allow someone to assist him when submitting application?

Thank you

Mark at Markssendingmachine will sort it all out for you for a reasonable cost I’ve used him excellent service 

4 hours ago, OJAS said:

Strikes me as using a sledgehammer to crack a nut in order to comply with a requirement which VFS appear to have dreamt up entirely off their own bat, though.

Nothing to do with VfS. Address verification is a requirement of HMPO and they are the sole arbiters of what is acceptable. VfS are simply handling agents.

@prakhonchai nick has the simple practical solution.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AhFarangJa said:

Just spoken to the girls at Keyvisa, Pattaya, and they will translate my Son's Tabian Bahn, Drivers Licence, and Thai I.D. (probably will not need all, but I am going to send a copy of each).

They are a great service, and I would have no hesitation in recommending them.

Last I heard from HMPO was that all required translations had to be done by a Translation company recognised by the British Embassy. Not many on their list!!!!!!!!

From an HMPO Letter

The translator must be:
- if overseas, employed by a translation company listed on the British Embassy/High Commission
or British Consulate website The translator can't be a family member or friend

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Nothing to do with VfS. Address verification is a requirement of HMPO and they are the sole arbiters of what is acceptable. VfS are simply handling agents.

It is not that black and white, everything that passes through VFS has something to do with VFS. I have had to threaten VFS with the embassy on more than one occasion to get a positive outcome. They will push the boundaries and some will accept what is said.

As far as passport renewal is concerned when I did my previous renewal I didn't see any need for a countersignature and the girl looked at the photo several times before calling a manager who gave it the nod. As you are aware I didn't take any chances with the VFS arrangement this last time and went back to the UK.

At the end of the day if VFS refuse to accept the application for whatever reason, it is a problem you have to resolve one way or another.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Last I heard from HMPO was that all required translations had to be done by a Translation company recognised by the British Embassy. Not many on their list!!!!!!!!

From an HMPO Letter

The translator must be:
- if overseas, employed by a translation company listed on the British Embassy/High Commission
or British Consulate website The translator can't be a family member or friend

Thanks Nick, I am assuming the people at the visa company know someone, or someone in VFS. This being Thailand !!!! 

May I take this opportunity to wish you and Family a Merry Christmas, and all the best for the New Year.

On 12/20/2023 at 4:08 PM, Jumbo1968 said:

I renewed my sons U.K. Passport here in Thailand, no proof of address was required ?

When VFS started doing UK passports in 2014 this guidance document was in place at the time. You can see on page 3 Table A that name and address evidence was required. At the time the intention was that passports would be returned to your home address. That never materialised and passports had to be collected .

The current guidance only states that they may check where you live so up to you what you provide, but there is always that risk that VFS staff may want to follow previous requirements.

If it is not a problem nothing wrong with being prepared.

OS_Guidance_Gp2_11.13.PDF

• 2 months later...

They've moved: 

We are pleased to inform you that effective from 18 March 2024, the UK Visa Application Centre and the HMPO address in Bangkok, Thailand will be relocated to the new address below:

Visa Application Centre and HMPO address:

VFS (Thailand) Ltd.

The Shoppes at Belle Grand Rama 9,

131/1,141/1, Unit BS003 – BS003/1,

1st Floor, Rama 9, Huay Kwang,

Bangkok 10310 Thailand.