Colorado Supreme Court kicks Trump off ballot

CharlieH

35 minutes ago, nauseus said:

It will most likely will be struck down on appeal because nobody can show that Trump did incite an insurrection.

How many times have desperate folks failed to prove that already?

Unfortunately,  I agree with you.

For the 14th Amendment to apply, a person must have been convicted of sedition. Otherwise, any state court can kick anyone off the ballot, simply by observing that they participated in an insurrection. So, Georgia could kick Joe Biden off the ballot, because they can.

• Confused 5
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Just wrong. This on November 14th. The only question not then settled was whether the president was included and the Colorado SC just settled that question.

A Colorado judge on Friday found that former President Donald Trump engaged in insurrection during the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol but rejected an effort to keep him off the state’s primary ballot because it’s unclear whether a Civil War-era Constitutional amendment barring insurrectionists from public office applies to the presidency.

https://www.pressherald.com/2023/11/17/colorado-judge-finds-trump-engaged-in-insurrection-but-rejects-constitutional-ballot-challenge/

So you're saying that SCOTUS could find him innocent but the Colorado decision would stand?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Purdey said:

So you're saying that SCOTUS could find him innocent but the Colorado decision would stand?

No, I'm saying a CO state court found him guilty but left him on the ballot because of the question as to whether the constitution applied to the president. The CO SC has just determined that it does and so the courts will now strike him from the ballot. They will obviously withhold in the US SC considers the matter but that won't take long.

The ere are wider questions that the US SC will need to answer if they overturn the CO SC. Firstly, why was Nixon pardoned if he has presidential immunity? Second, the SC could never rule that an action taken by the president was illegal for any reason, including questions of constitutionality. Biden could issue all manner of executive orders this next year if the SC decides he has presidential immunity.

• Like 1

Whatever transpires when the Supreme Court takes up the case, Aranda-Williams believes there needs to be some serious effort put into the opinions that are generated to meet the moment and set a definitive answer to determine exactly what Trump's role was in the leadup to and on the day of the Jan. 6, 2021 riot at the Capitol.

"I think what the American people are owed an opinion that goes to the heart and the merits of the case, which is, one, whether the former president engaged in insurrection against the Constitution.

"I think that's what the court has to answer here."

https://www.rawstory.com/trump-colorado-ruling-tough-to-overrule/

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

No, I'm saying a CO state court found him guilty but left him on the ballot because of the question as to whether the constitution applied to the president. The CO SC has just determined that it does and so the courts will now strike him from the ballot. They will obviously withhold in the US SC considers the matter but that won't take long.

The ere are wider questions that the US SC will need to answer if they overturn the CO SC. Firstly, why was Nixon pardoned if he has presidential immunity? Second, the SC could never rule that an action taken by the president was illegal for any reason, including questions of constitutionality. Biden could issue all manner of executive orders this next year if the SC decides he has presidential immunity.

Thanks for that.

I am interested mainly in what is the ultimate decision-making body for insurrection by a president rather than immunity (though that is related). I assumed there would be a SCOTUS decision eventually.

Yes, the Nixon pardon implied he wasn't immune.