Health Ministry aims to cut road accidents during New Year holidays by 5%

snoop1130

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What a glorious exiting new idea.

Did anybody ever mention that maybe it would help if the police would actually do their job all year long?

Or would that be too much of a challenge for the boys in brown in this beautiful country? 

In my city, they have a special little club house, where you can find them easier than visiting the police station.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, BoganInParasite said:

So an even greater number of folks sitting around at roadside checkpoints that I have never seen in the last six years ever stop anyone, let alone do anything else to reduce the toll.

Checkpoints?  I thought they were some kind of alcohol sampling sites?

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, BoganInParasite said:

So an even greater number of folks sitting around at roadside checkpoints that I have never seen in the last six years ever stop anyone, let alone do anything else to reduce the toll.

It is not their job to stop anyone nor do they have the authority to do so. Only the police can do that. Their role is to advice and assist.

The vast majority of fatalities are motorcycle riders and most of these fatalities are from riders without a helmet.

Just enforce the helmet law to 100% and the total fatalities will drop by more than 50%. In most neighboring countries they manage to do this by here in Thailand they don't care.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

It is not their job to stop anyone nor do they have the authority to do so. Only the police can do that. Their role is to advice and assist.

How can they advise and assist when sitting there watching TV or playing on their phone. 

My BiL does it because he gets paid for doing Sweet FA!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

How can they advise and assist when sitting there watching TV or playing on their phone. 

My BiL does it because he gets paid for doing Sweet FA!

They give advise when it's asked for  and assistance when it's necessary. If neither are called for then they sit and wait. That's what a lot of 'first responders' do by the way. Sit and wait for something to happen.

The reason why they're by the roadside is so that they be quickly called upon when needed and hopefully act as a sort of soft deterrent, a reminder to motorists to behave. Whether that works or not I've no idea.

11 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What a glorious exiting new idea.

Did anybody ever mention that maybe it would help if the police would actually do their job all year long?

Or would that be too much of a challenge for the boys in brown in this beautiful country? 

According to Police Boss Man they don't have enough money for Patrol Cars and not enough Men either !!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/22/2023 at 7:05 AM, Nicholas Paul KNIGHT said:

BEST Way to r3educe accidents apart from POLICE actions is to remove ALL drivers#riders with NO licences, remove all drivers with NO insurace , stop all lorries on holidays. with 50% less vehicles job done 

A Thai driving licence is so easy to get in Thailand, that it is no proof of competence to operate a motor vehicle.

With or without a Thai licence, for locals, the skill levels will be about the same. 

They need a complete overhaul of the licencing system to include proper driving tests and periods of probation after the test has been passed (displaying P plates etc.) as well as proper enforcement of the laws. 

As they can't manage to do a simple task like wiring a plug properly, proper competence of drivers will never, ever happen here.

• Agree 1

On 12/22/2023 at 11:41 AM, trainman34014 said:

According to Police Boss Man they don't have enough money for Patrol Cars and not enough Men either !!

Maybe if they bought Toyotas or Hondas instead of Teslas and BMWs they would have enough patrol cars. 

With 230,000+ officers nationwide they have more than enough manpower. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 12/22/2023 at 9:32 AM, pattjock said:

The vast majority of fatalities are motorcycle riders and most of these fatalities are from riders without a helmet.

Just enforce the helmet law to 100% and the total fatalities will drop by more than 50%. In most neighboring countries they manage to do this by here in Thailand they don't care.

If anything, post covid in my Pattaya area, I would say helmet wearing is far less than pre-Covid. There has been a distinct drop in policing. Used to see many carrying a helmet on Sukhumvit, ready to pop it on their head when they turned into town proper, they don't bother now!