Thai Government Reminds Hospitals They Cannot Refuse Emergency Patients, Including Foreign Tourists

webfact

The main problem being , that as soon as it becomes known that the patient is a foreigner , dollar signs light up in the Thai admin's eyes . Emergency treatment is secondary to how much money can be extracted from the suffering foreigner . 

As always in Thailand " Money Number One " , even in a life or death situation .

One could be forgiven if thinking that embassies and Ambassadors had ensured that emergency treatment for their countrymen ,whilst in Thailand , was fundamental and rigorously enforced . But I guess that is not in their brief  .

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Not very bright are they. Not only will this have spread around Taiwan like wildfire and put loads of them off. and single travellers like myself in the uk. But the main language in Taiwan is Mandarin. The Chinese are already worried about being victims of crime and not coming in, now they have been told they won't get medical care when unconscious having a heart attack in an ambulance regardless of there insurance. If the government had common sense the manager who made this decision would be thrown in prison and made an example of.

• Thanks 2

Be sure to instruct your wife and/or loved ones to transport you to a public hospital in case of an emergency. This way you will surely be given care. In the case of private hospitals, i’m sure the government is message will fall on deaf ears as money is always the number one concern, not the patient’s care and wellbeing.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/22/2023 at 6:29 AM, jcmj said:

I brought my friend to the hospital as he was having his second stroke. It was clear and as soon as they got him into the emergency room, unable to speak and very weak, they came in with a credit card machine and asked for a deposit. I absolutely blew up, told them he has insurance and told her to get the hell out of there. The doctors came and did the bloodwork, confirmed their diagnosis and the lady came back and said they have to do an MRI. The lady came back again and wanted a deposit because it was an international policy. He was clearly upset and disoriented and I told them I would take care of it and just do the scans and help him. I did have to go to the registrar while he was getting his scans done and put a deposit down, even though he had insurance. So be warned. They always spout this BS about taking care of emergency patients but that’s clearly not the case. My friend ended up having a 3rd stroke and thankfully I was there pushing to get him treated or he may have been another well hid statistic. This definitely needs more attention and monitoring. 

What 'moron' posted a happy smilie on this post?

• Agree 1

I would have thought most emergency cases would not be in a condition (unconsious etc) to make any payments (unless with friends). So the hospital has to either treat without initial payment or turn them away.  Does the term foreign tourists include expats? probably not.

On 12/22/2023 at 6:29 AM, jcmj said:

I brought my friend to the hospital as he was having his second stroke. It was clear and as soon as they got him into the emergency room, unable to speak and very weak, they came in with a credit card machine and asked for a deposit. I absolutely blew up, told them he has insurance and told her to get the hell out of there. The doctors came and did the bloodwork, confirmed their diagnosis and the lady came back and said they have to do an MRI. The lady came back again and wanted a deposit because it was an international policy. He was clearly upset and disoriented and I told them I would take care of it and just do the scans and help him. I did have to go to the registrar while he was getting his scans done and put a deposit down, even though he had insurance. So be warned. They always spout this BS about taking care of emergency patients but that’s clearly not the case. My friend ended up having a 3rd stroke and thankfully I was there pushing to get him treated or he may have been another well hid statistic. This definitely needs more attention and monitoring. 

I had the same experience with my Thai wife, she had a total breakdown, could barely stand on her feet or even speak, brought her directly to the ER, hospital assistance put her in a wheelchair but passed the ER towards a counter close by to check first if she has a SSO or personal medical insurance (she has both)...no words further.