How to prepare walls to have straight and plumb mounting points for a wardrobe?

OneMoreFarang

In the next days I will build an IKEA wardrobe in a corner of my bedroom.

The wardrobe consists of 4 parts each 75cm wide and almost 2.4m heigh. Each or the 75cm elements should be screwed to the wall left and right.

All that would be easy if the wall would be straight. But it isn't! There is up to maybe 20mm difference left to right.

I guess I will use some string to have a straight line about 2.3m heigh, where the elements are screwed to the wall.

Then I will put wood with different thickness on those area so that all mounting points left to right align.

And then I guess I have to do the same near the floor to make sure the wardrobe is also vertically straight installed.

Is there an easy way to do that?

Is it best to do this with string and some spacers?

I also have a laser level, but I guess that is not useful for this kind of installation.

Any tips and ideas?

Thanks

Edited by OneMoreFarang

Shimming with behind the fixations with wood is OK.

20mm is not a lot but it sure seems to be an uneven wall, is it a plastered wall?

Are you saying the 20mm unevenness is over each 75cm section or over the whole length of the 4 cabinet sections of wardrobes?

Make sure you start off with a level base, mark out the wardrobe on the floor.

Edited by freeworld
  • Like 1

All you can really do at this stage is to use packers / spacers in between the wall and the wardrobe and then seal the gaps with silicone or another sealant. Without packing and relining the whole wall you will just have something not square.

• Like 1