Danish man on trial for theft in Bangkok Airport

webfact

9 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

Well in most developed countries, if you find something on the floor that is not yours  and pick it up then take it to lost property at the airport, in this particular case, or the police, wouldn't you  you be doing someone a favor?

Absolutely.

So was this guy arrested whilst on his way to the lost & found counter at the airport? If so, that's very unfortunate.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, ravip said:

Is it OK in other countries to  pick up property that is not yours? Really?

Regardless, a discarded wallet would be a pretty sure sign its been emptied of cash like the near miss with the  p.p. as AbouThiam shared with us about his g.f. , but then how about the many heart warming posts where several Thai taxi drivers have actively sought out their last passengers to return their dropped cash in the taxi? Decisions decisions. :wacko:

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, ravip said:

Absolutely.

So was this guy arrested whilst on his way to the lost & found counter at the airport? If so, that's very unfortunate.

No I don't believe he was, but my point is valid, in that picking items up that don't belong to you should be OK, providing you do the right thing and turn them in to the police?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I think they do stings where they leave things in the bathroom. If you take it, even to return it, they grab you.

Often they will even ask if it's yours, etc. Never get involved with luggage or other people's stuff in transit centers, buses, airplanes, trains, etc. It's not your problem. It's better to not engage with people at all in transit as they are not people you are ever going to see again anyway.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

Well in most developed countries, if you find something on the floor that is not yours  and pick it up then take it to lost property at the airport, in this particular case, or the police, wouldn't you  you be doing someone a favor?

Whether it's lawful or not in Thailand, the words above sadly seem inapplicable given  so much high level corruption "seems to be" happening lately in L.O.S. 

Developed countries have an "innocent until proven guilty" policy but 

AboutThaim's g.f. luckily dodged jail? when she handed in an emptied wallet to the p.p.

Mmmm.. the Dane quickly went to the disabled toilet and they are more likely to be vacant, isolated and quickly locked.  The Dane has Done his Dash?

1 hour ago, ravip said:

But coming into a country like that and to start stealing right at the airport????

What's your take on that?

If a person has the urge to steal something, they really should do it in their home country where they at least have a chance of knowing the system. Committing a petty crime in a foreign country is the stupidest thing a person can do.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Very interesting.

I was in Bkk airport recently and someone left a laptop case on the counter near the sink. After I washed my hands a youngish Thai guy immediately came up behind me and asked if it was mine, then when I said it was not, another guy immediately came up and took it. The bathroom was very crowded.

Nobody leaves a laptop on a busy sink counter that way. Don't ever touch a bag that's not yours around a transit center, airport, etc.

That could have been a sting operation trying to catch someone related to material on the laptop. I agree that at the airport you touch absolutely nothing that does not belong to you. Imagine trying to do the right thing and picking up a "lost" bag to take to lost property. As soon as you pick it up you are surrounded by a bunch of cops and the bag contains drugs or other contraband. Try talking yourself out of that situation. There are places where it is best to mind your own business and airports are one of those places.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frankie baby said:

People walk away from murder & man-slaughter charges here in Thailand, yet this guys in detention a month before trial all over a handbag. Do you think they got the priorities right? 

Different if he stole your bag. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Dexxter said:

That could have been a sting operation trying to catch someone related to material on the laptop. I agree that at the airport you touch absolutely nothing that does not belong to you. Imagine trying to do the right thing and picking up a "lost" bag to take to lost property. As soon as you pick it up you are surrounded by a bunch of cops and the bag contains drugs or other contraband. Try talking yourself out of that situation. There are places where it is best to mind your own business and airports are one of those places.

Yeah, and why would someone ask if something is yours in a transit center?

If they were concerned they would take it in themselves, not ask random strangers about it in the hopes of getting that one guy out of thousands who may have left it there.

Edited by JimTripper

3 hours ago, Colabamumbai said:

In Thailand never pick up property that is not yours, unless you call for witnesses first. 

Correct, I would never pick something up or even touch it. In this day and age one never knows what accusations will be made.

Edited by freeworld

If one goes to the shopping centre near international stadium and sees all the shops set up there selling brand name bags and shoes and what not and are quite costly too.

Wonder how they are allowed to operate so openly when millions are involved.

Edited by freeworld
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

No one, including the editors of this forum, caught the irony of putting this story right next to the Yingluck one.

Here's a picture of some hardened criminal in handcuffs awaiting trial and the other one is of Yingluck.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

58 minutes ago, Dexxter said:

If a person has the urge to steal something, they really should do it in their home country where they at least have a chance of knowing the system. Committing a petty crime in a foreign country is the stupidest thing a person can do.

Very true indeed.

Trying to justify such petty theft, and blaming the country and it's people are downright disgusting IMHO

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You know you've been in Thailand too long when...you spout a ridiculous explanation that is at the level a Thai would come up with, that of a child.

A bit like watches borrowed from a friend who is now dead, and anyway, you'd forgotten about them?

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

I spent many years working around airports, many shopping centers, night clubs and department stores also 5 star hotels, my first thought would be in a high traffic area especially near the toilets, would be a suspicious package, don't touch it, my mind goes back to many years ago in a shopping center in England where they were leaving incendiary devices inside shops.

Best to inform the authorities let them remove it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ravip said:

Is it OK in other countries to  pick up property that is not yours? Really?

I found a wallet in Golden Gate Park when I was a kid, turned it in, and the police thanked me for it. I once picked up a wallet in Hamburg, Germany, and caught up with a Finn whose pocket it had fallen out of while he was sitting on a park bench. I also turned in a rich Arab's wallet that had $8,000 in U.S. currency. In conclusion, I would check the Dane's background and find out if he has a criminal history. If not, then I would be inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Agree 1