What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2024)

Rimmer

17 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

I had already decided to watch it.

No, I don't read the ones that have a 'spoiler alert' warning.

It was based on a true story, the plot is not a secret.

• Confused 2

I am a keen fan of most documentaries, especially relating to past history, so I downloaded "Shackleton. The Greatest Story of Survival" and thought it was great.

There have been other documentaries, and this one was an amalgam of original footage, recreated scenes and input from Tim Jarvis who recreated Shackleton's footsteps, and commented on the adventure from a large ship on which he sailed to the Antarctic. This doco really stood out for me and grabbed my attention from start to finish and quite how those hardy folks managed to survive is barely believable, but surely the leadership of Shackleton was a key factor.

Available on 1337x.to

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

I am a keen fan of most documentaries, especially relating to past history, so I downloaded "Shackleton. The Greatest Story of Survival" and thought it was great.

There have been other documentaries, and this one was an amalgam of original footage, recreated scenes and input from Tim Jarvis who recreated Shackleton's footsteps, and commented on the adventure from a large ship on which he sailed to the Antarctic. This doco really stood out for me and grabbed my attention from start to finish and quite how those hardy folks managed to survive is barely believable, but surely the leadership of Shackleton was a key factor.

Available on 1337x.to

Just watching The Terror serie, maybe something for you?

• Thanks 1

And also Blackwater another series from RTE. Not bad, a bit of a played out theme, but worth a watch.

A 1080 version of the Danish prison drama Huset appeared which im looking forward to watching.

On 3/1/2024 at 3:09 PM, John Drake said:

Watched the first two episodes. Cinematography is dreary, full of gloom, and washed out. Seems like they've shot the scenes so they fit the subtitles, instead of the other way around. Lots of yacking. And the characters seem faceless. Some guy named Cosmo is in Richard Chamberlain's role of Balckthorne. And non-entities in Mifune's role as Toranaga and in John Rhys-Davies' Rodriguez. Chamberlain, Mifune, and Rhys-Davies were bigger than life characters. The Cosmo guy looks like he's selling perfume on TV.

when shogun 1 came out i was in my teens and not too interested. i started watching the new one and am enjoying it very much. the japanese cutie also stars in another tv series... 4got the name. following your comment i started watching the original. i disagree with you very much. the new one, so far, is much better. the music is not the crap from the 80's and the actors' make up in the original make the japanese look like stand ins for planet of the apes. in the new series the actors actually look like they should. sometimes have to roll with the times 

also... in a scene by the beach in ep 2 original... i saw a modern day yatch on the sea... 5555555. i actually stopped the video and went back to 2x check... yep... a yatch. we didnt see these mistakes in the old days and we couldnt double check if we thought we did... gotta love tech

Edited by Pouatchee

1 hour ago, Pouatchee said:

when shogun 1 came out i was in my teens and not too interested. i started watching the new one and am enjoying it very much. the japanese cutie also stars in another tv series... 4got the name. following your comment i started watching the original. i disagree with you very much. the new one, so far, is much better. the music is not the crap from the 80's and the actors' make up in the original make the japanese look like stand ins for planet of the apes. in the new series the actors actually look like they should. sometimes have to roll with the times 

also... in a scene by the beach in ep 2 original... i saw a modern day yatch on the sea... 5555555. i actually stopped the video and went back to 2x check... yep... a yatch. we didnt see these mistakes in the old days and we couldnt double check if we thought we did... gotta love tech

I'm not going to disagree with someone's enjoyment of a movie or series. But I do think the talking is just too much in the latest version. And the guy playing Blackthorne doesn't actually talk as much as he grunts. I needed subtitles for when he was speaking English. BTW, I watched episode 3 today. Fell asleep about 14 minutes in. While watching Shogun, I've also been watching Masters of the Air. Forget the time of the setting of the stories, both Shogun and Masters feel and look exactly the same, with washed out colors, smoky and fuzzy establishing shots. I like the saturated color of the original. Not to mention that Clavell executive produced the original, so he must have felt comfortable with it.

14 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Is Dune 2 worth watching if you haven't watched Dune 1 and don't know Dune from a day at the beach?

I think so, if you don't hate that kind of thing.  I saw both, and two is a pretty spectacular production, at least in the theater.

It's not like there's some complex plot to follow. Evil old fat white capitalist guy attempting to take over the world and attractive young egalitarians saving it. 

That said, I do think it's worth watching one first, they're both good, but I thought two was better.  

28 minutes ago, John Drake said:

I watched episode 3 today. Fell asleep about 14 minutes in. While watching Shogun, I've also been watching Masters of the Air.

i oftimes fall asleep even if the show is my favorite. i dont like masters of the air, and i will watch shogun the original just cause there is nothing to watch right now. still suffering a drought due to writers strike. i watched BMF seasons 1-2 out of desperation...

22 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Is Dune 2 worth watching if you haven't watched Dune 1 and don't know Dune from a day at the beach?

no... its sacrilegious. like skipping lord of the rings first 2 movies. do yourself a favor watch episode 1 and if you dont like it dont need to watch part 2. you should actually smoke a doobie and watch the 1st one... original one... then youll get an understanding of THE SPICE... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

i oftimes fall asleep even if the show is my favorite. i dont like masters of the air, and i will watch shogun the original just cause there is nothing to watch right now. still suffering a drought due to writers strike. i watched BMF seasons 1-2 out of desperation...

no... its sacrilegious. like skipping lord of the rings first 2 movies. do yourself a favor watch episode 1 and if you dont like it dont need to watch part 2. you should actually smoke a doobie and watch the 1st one... original one... then youll get an understanding of THE SPICE... 

Aha. A better baked entertainment.

26 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Aha. A better baked entertainment.

insider secret... i always thought/felt that the spice was hashish. would be quite appropriate. the original dune is not as much based on muslim tradition but it was hinting at it. herbert, the writer, actually says he based the fremen on nomad muslims. a great movie and great books. anyone hasnt read them should

Noticed on the usual download site, Series 1 of the BBC's 1972 Colditz. The David McCallum character of Flight Lieutenant Simon Carter was based on real Colditz inmate Flight Lieutenant Dominic Bruce, who became famous for the Tea Chest escape. Overall he made 17 attempts at escaping during the war. Had the honour of meeting him in 1977-1979 as he was my College Principal,  he wouldn't have fitted into a Tea Chest then, but you knew not to mess with him.

Off at O'Silly 'O Clock to the Lucky Country tomorrow morning, so that's my entertainment sorted.

42 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

insider secret... i always thought/felt that the spice was hashish...

Written in 1965, Herbert was using Spice as a metaphor for Oil. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, RayWright said:

Written in 1965, Herbert was using Spice as a metaphor for Oil. 

makes sense... as with all things interpretation and understanding change with the times. for other generations could be coke, meth or opioids.

• Agree 1

Threads (1984) 8.0 IMDB

The effects of a nuclear holocaust on the working class city of Sheffield, England and the eventual long-term effects of nuclear war on civilization.

Don't know how I missed this movie, but it's a harrowing portrayal of the aftermath of a nuclear attack on the UK. No happy endings here. Available on PB.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

insider secret... i always thought/felt that the spice was hashish. would be quite appropriate. the original dune is not as much based on muslim tradition but it was hinting at it. herbert, the writer, actually says he based the fremen on nomad muslims. a great movie and great books. anyone hasnt read them should

Isn't Spice a synthetic THC, popular amongst inmates in British prisons?

16 hours ago, recom273 said:

And also Blackwater another series from RTE. Not bad, a bit of a played out theme, but worth a watch.

A 1080 version of the Danish prison drama Huset appeared which im looking forward to watching.

Do you mean "Blackshore" ?

Seen Huset and thought it was good.

21 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Isn't Spice a synthetic THC, popular amongst inmates in British prisons?

i wouldnt know. i am not brit, nor do i know anyone in the carceral system in england nor have i ever been to jail

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Pouatchee said:

i wouldnt know. i am not brit, nor do i know anyone in the carceral system in england nor have i ever been to jail

You don't have to climb Mt. Everest to know how high it is.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

What is a spice in slang terms?

Synthetic cannabinoids are lab-made drugs. Spice is a nickname for a substance containing one or more synthetic cannabinoids. Synthetic cannabinoids were originally designed to mimic the effects of cannabis. However, they are much more harmful and unpredictable than cannabis.

On 3/3/2024 at 7:33 AM, bamnutsak said:

See this on the biggest, best screen available. If not IMAX then the Pavalai theatre at Sima Paragon.

Dune 2, that is. I took your recommendation and am glad I did. Well worth seeing on the big screen owing to the spectacular visuals. Needed ear plugs towards the end. Otherwise, the movie's so-so, some good scenes amid the usual tropes, but it IS Dune. Adds significantly to previous attempts to film it. 

17 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Probably not.

Very easy to watch Dune Part 1, currently streaming on Netflix. And must be available via sources often referenced in this thread.

3 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

3 hours ago, giddyup said:

You don't have to climb Mt. Everest to know how high it is.

in this case you do, because if no one (other than you) told me i would not know what they call it in the uk carceral system... but thanks for sharing... 

8 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

in this case you do, because if no one (other than you) told me i would not know what they call it in the uk carceral system... but thanks for sharing... 

No problem, happy to share my infinite knowledge to the less enlightened.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1