What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2024)

Rimmer

I watched The Killer, a French remake of the Hong Kong movie made way back in 1989 that starred the legendary Chow Yun-Fat. The remake is directed by  John Woo, the same director of the original. Woo made a name for himself with his ultra-violent Hong Kong gangster flicks and then came to Hollywood where he made a few films (including a Mission Impossible with Tom Cruise) with mixed success. His style never really meshed with Hollywood.

Woo is in his 70's now and it's hard to see the rationale for the remake but despite its flaws, I enjoyed it. The Chow Yun-Fat role of the assassin has been changed to woman (Nathalie Emmanuel). Some of the acting is clunky, the script has holes, and it's not realistic but it is high octane, the fight scenes are smoothly choreographed and it's the type of film, to use a cliche, that they just don't make anymore.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2024 at 1:58 PM, xylophone said:

I decided to watch, "A Very English Scandal" again, mainly because after my concussion I could not remember much about it! So pleased that I did because it was very enjoyable and the acting by both Hugh Grant and Ben Wishaw was excellent, and it resonated because I was in the UK at the time when this occurred and there was a standing joke/retort amongst our group of guys and it was: – "bite the pillow Norman".

I watched A Very English Scandal and enjoyed it. Anything with Ben Wishaw in it is normally worth a look. He's a very good actor IMHO.

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, giddyup said:

I'm getting the same. TG is definitely been having it's problems. A pity because it's the best out there IMO.

TGx used to be my go to website every morning to check for newly available TV series & movies. It's a big miss.

• Thumbs Up 2

Among the most moving movies I've seen this year.

Dormitory from Turkiye.

It was enhanced for me because I've been to Turkiye and have some understanding of their politics and history around the conflict of secularism and Islamism. 

The lead boy actors were brilliant, especially the main lead who reminded me of a young Leonardo DiCaprio. The feel of the movie kind of evoked a French art film by Truffaut.

Dormitory (Yurt, 2023) ‘MAMI Film Festival’ Review | High On Films

Religion is a controversial subject to discuss, no matter what era we live in. With extremists taking over the minds of majorities, it has become even more difficult to exercise the freedom to practice faith in one’s own choice. 12-year-old Ahmet (played by Doga Karakas) faces a similar conflict. Set in 1997 Turkey, Nehir Tuna’s ‘Dormitory’ (Yurt) follows Ahmet’s struggle between practicing the faith of his father’s choice and the one that a majority of the population believed in at the time. At the turbulent phase of early adolescence, he grapples with the pressures put upon him by people who think it’s their right to do so.

Dormitory (film) - Wikipedia

The film was described as 'a pleasant surprise, offering the paradoxical story of a teenager caught between religious tensions and explosions of testosterone.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I just watched "Frog".

A very stylish Korean drama with a breathtakingly beautiful female killer. Sadly the story is miles away from the accomplished My Mister, which is still the gold standard for any TV series.

For all the style, in Frog they forgot to develop the characters properly,  you just don't care about them.

19 hours ago, xylophone said:

I recently stumbled upon a comedy series which I'd never heard of before, so thought I would give it a try and was so pleased that I did because some parts of it were very funny. The name of it was, "The Thin Blue Line" and it was released on British television in 1995/96, and it was written by Ben Elton and starred Rowan Atkinson, amongst others.

IMO, one of the funniest comedy series I've seen in years .

PS. Series Two is the funniest (IMO).

Gave it a try but couldn't handle the canned laughter track.

• Like 1

After Bob Newhart died about six weeks ago, I decided to watch Newhart, as I had never seen a single episode. Finished going through it a few days ago. It's really low brow stuff. Disappointing. The three woodsmen, Larry, Darryl, and the other Darryl, is just outright stupid. Bad ensemble acting. At the end Bob looked like he had decided to check out early. Such a contrast to Newhart's earliere series, The Bob Newhart Show, which I've also been rewatching. I enjoyed it at its first run and it's still funny today. Sophisticated, understated humor, with hyperactive characters being barely under control. One of the best ensembles in TV history, with the psych patients. Howard Borden does wear thin, but the rest never do so.