US Orthodontist Says She Was Electrocuted In "Freak Accident" In Thailand

webfact

2 minutes ago, morrobay said:

You shall always be remembered as one of the - it happens everywhere/Thai apologists, denialists 

He is actually correct. Several people have been killed by fallen power lines in the UK during recent storms.

Another in Australia recently.

Just google it.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, advancebooking said:

duh. do you think an orthodontist needs a go fund me page. Probably drives a ferrari. Never seen a poor dentist

Probably having a brain, when it's not undergoing electroshock, accounts for the crucial difference. And so you'll notice as well, in contrast to posters here, the total lack of whinging and ranting against The Authorities, Thailand in general killing people, lax safety precautions, dangerous hanging wires, indifferent medical care, and smugness that it would never happen in the paradise of the UK. Rather, she seems focused on her personal resolve to overcome her injury. WOT??? 

Edited by BigStar
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Obviously it was NOT "freaky" because neither the woman herself nor anyone else provided any info on how it happened. 

It will turn out that she was staring at her phone in order to admire herself instead of paying attention to low hanging cables. 

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, khunpin said:

Obviously it was NOT "freaky" because neither the woman herself nor anyone else provided any info on how it happened. 

The statement is that it was owing to a downed power line. Now, it may not be freaky for Thais and yourself to dodge downed power lines or be electrocuted. We hear about such accidents rather too often. But for your average tourist, unaccustomed to Thailand, never having encountered one in the USA (I never did), it might well seem freaky.

Note that it IS definitely, absolutely, canonically freaky IF it happens to one of our dear lads, always absolved of any blame:

Briton on lads' holiday to Thailand dies in freak accident after stepping on live power cable concealed by puddle

But we want to deny the term to this American lady and try to claim it was her own fault, with no evidence suggesting so. Now why is that?

As an aside, ironically, any announcement of burying cables is greeted by a loud chorus of sneers from our Experts.

Edited by BigStar
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

"Omg!! Sending love and prayers and hoping for a speedy recovery,"

"So sorry for what happened! You are strong and so wonderful.. you'll get through this! Sending you big love and positive vibes,"

"You're such a fighter car and I'm so so grateful for it. love you and can't wait to make more memories together this year!!!"

"This must have been so scary! I admire your resilient and positive attitude. hoping for a speedy recovery and sending you hugs,"

Thus speaks the "so so" easily influenced.

Do I detect just a hint of sarcasm in this post? 😀

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Wuvu2 said:

"Electrocution" means death from electrical shock. She's alive and just another Drama Queen creating clickbait :glare:

Wrong

Definition of Electrocution (Oxford English Dictionary)

1. the injury OR  killing of someone by electric shock.
    "they switched off the power supply to avoid any risk of electrocution"

5 hours ago, gomangosteen said:

First paragraph in bold does state: "suffering an electric shock from downed power lines" which does give a clue

Possibly the poster is referring to her "flowery" language regarding her experience - not querying the accident itself!

3 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

While it's true she didn't go into massive detail (very possibly due to having blacked out when it happened) she did say how it happened - she said she was electrocuted by power lines. So that statement from the article isn't quite accurate. 

What does that mean ? She plugged her hairdryer in a faulty plug or what ?

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

"Omg!! Sending love and prayers and hoping for a speedy recovery,"

"So sorry for what happened! You are strong and so wonderful.. you'll get through this! Sending you big love and positive vibes,"

"You're such a fighter car and I'm so so grateful for it. love you and can't wait to make more memories together this year!!!"

"This must have been so scary! I admire your resilient and positive attitude. hoping for a speedy recovery and sending you hugs,"

Thus speaks the "so so" easily influenced.

brought to you by the makers of hallmark cards. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, novacova said:

Right, nothing freak about it here. Just another accident in a day of life here.

I would say incident rather than accident. Accident implies there is no fault. There definitely is fault here by the owners of the power cables

13 minutes ago, geisha said:

What does that mean ? She plugged her hairdryer in a faulty plug or what ?

Is that what you'd say if you're electrocuted after plugging in a faulty appliance? Keep in mind this lady is a lot smarter than you are and speaks more precisely, and not in your dialect.

Why couldn't it mean something like what happened to one of our own dear lads?

Briton on lads' holiday to Thailand dies in freak accident after stepping on live power cable concealed by puddle

Which meaning of "downed power line" is more likely to you?

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

More illiteracy in journalism, which then contributes to the same public illiteracy plague. She wasn't "electrocuted" regardless of the rampant misuse of the term. Electrocuted means you died. Etymology: "electro-execute" to execute by electricity. Duh. She was shocked. Shocked, I say (clutching pearls). But you can't fix stupid, can you? Even in journalism. Nonetheless, every time those of us who made it past high school hear someone misuse this we think "there goes another dropout ίdίot butchering the English language". But who cares, really.  I'm just another English major curmudgeon. 

Definition of Electrocution (Oxford English Dictionary) says injury OR death

4 hours ago, Tedly said:

Hope she fully recovers, but I wonder why the need to mention how many followers she has in Instagram, like what does that have to do with anything. I laugh at the term "influencer" too, they sure don't influence me. 

Might influence the TAT though as well as who is going to pay.

If this story is as printed, being an influencer regardless of if she needed it or not someone/gov body may have stumped up an envelope. 

Having said all that I find the story unconvincing!

You've just had x amount of electricity surging through your body the last ting I would be shouting about is being an influencer! 

WTF happened to me and who is responsible would be my immediate reaction followed by get me the best solicitor in town.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

This sweetheart could file a police report which would be considerably more effective - due to the "influencing" activities - than whine over spilt milk a month later. 

I don't see how filing a police report (though she may have) would be effective in any way she wishes to be effective. She has no whinging history we know of and have no reason to think she'll be doing so in the future.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dont confuse me said:

You've just had x amount of electricity surging through your body the last ting I would be shouting about is being an influencer! 

But you aren't an influencer, now are you, and getting paid for influencing. Or if you are, please point us to your Instagram.

4 hours ago, Chivas said:

Unfortunate but accidents like this happen the world over

Thailand will get caned for it though

Most developed countries don't having power lines dangling down dangerously everywhere.  

• Agree 2

She got elect-oh-cuted! Yeah, elect-oh-cuted numbah 1 oafuhdonist who almost die on holiday in Thailand  by duh elect-oh-cute poll and by the pole on Instahgram, ya, very good! Very cute! Yeah Thailand have electro polls too before but they cancelled by cute people don't want a general electoh-cutions, because they want to be numbah 1 cute people who say, why we need electro polls, you just buy some batteries and run solar cell and wind powah, why already you serious about dangerous electoh-polls and high voteage wires!

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

He is actually correct. Several people have been killed by fallen power lines in the UK during recent storms.

Another in Australia recently.

Just google it.

Agreed but this is a power line that had already fallen and not been fixed. The countries you name set about fixing the problem of fallen power lines as soon as it happened. Fallen cables are reported and the relevant companies in Thailand totally ignore it until there is a serious accident or fatality. They then apologise (or not) give the relatives a basket of fruit and set up a committee to investigate (cover up and protect) an wait for the next fatality, rinse and repeat. 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Remember that Russian (Patts area ) who died from electrocution a while ago ? He went to retrieve a basketball and accidentally touched wires at the base of some kind of street lamp . Best not to assume Western standards of electrical safety when in Thailand .

• Agree 2

40 minutes ago, RobU said:

Agreed but this is a power line that had already fallen and not been fixed. The countries you name set about fixing the problem of fallen power lines as soon as it happened. Fallen cables are reported and the relevant companies in Thailand totally ignore it until there is a serious accident or fatality. They then apologise (or not) give the relatives a basket of fruit and set up a committee to investigate (cover up and protect) an wait for the next fatality, rinse and repeat. 

How do you know how long the power line had been down? I would however agree that the Thai authorities don't seem to do much, if anything, to stop repeats of this sort of thing.  They also have far too many overhead lines, despite beginning to sink some - its taking woefully too long and instead of making it compulsory for lines to be underground on new developments, they are still being built with power supplies overhead. I suppose joined up thinking hasn't yet arrived in Thailand.

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, RobU said:

Wrong

Definition of Electrocution (Oxford English Dictionary)

1. the injury OR  killing of someone by electric shock.
    "they switched off the power supply to avoid any risk of electrocution"

A little late - that information has already been provided.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1