Thailand to abolish hefty import tariff on wine

On 1/8/2024 at 1:48 PM, cjinchiangrai said:

Super!

The supply will still be limited to vendors that can ship in bulk or charge a high premium for freight but this will be great. Plenty of really good wines out there. Hopefully this will be published soon enough to take advantage of the 2023 releases coming in the next few months.

Would love to see some good Douro wines or Primitivo wines

• Love It 1
  • Agree 1

52 minutes ago, SooKee said:

My theory from the outset with this was that IF it ever did happen, the suppliers would adopt the view that people are used to paying the current prices, would not pass the tax reduction on to the consumer and would simply pocket the difference as extra profit as a result of them having to pay less tax.

Very cynical

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

They are getting desperate. This tells me despite all the rhetoric and BS the Thai economy is in free fall and they are desperate for money. They do think that this and handing out 10K will fix things, when as the BOT Boss has said many time the problems are systemic. Thailand was in trouble economically before Covid, which then his their economic deficiencies. But now they are 'exposed' and the world is starting to see the real situation.  Much like China, the fake Thai economy is going to have to go though some pain - and that will not stop until serious changes are made.  What I do see/read tells me that the Chinese are changing the 'big picture' things and will recover.  But Thailand is still indicating to me that they have a village/farm mentality and just cannot see the big picture, even when people like the BOT Boss tell them. 

Dropping taxes on wines is like moving the chairs on the Titanic - not that I am complaining personally. And maybe they can drop the taxes on cars too - a Honda built here costs way more here, than the same exact car shipped to Australia with all those additional costs and taxes in Australia.  

• Agree 2

It does happen, but in a protracted way. Wolf Blass, Cabernet Sauvignon, Lellow label which I had never bought under 599, can be had at 569, in many shops. There are lot of wines now in the 500 to 650 range a lot more than before; interestingly many of these are new labels, which I have never seen before in Thailand.

IMHO, the retail prices are [in the process of] dropping by 5 to 10%. It is also a question of stock rotation, so good wines of 1000/1200 THB which are selling less will probably follow once they get reimported.

2 hours ago, MarkBR said:

Would love to see some good Douro wines or Primitivo wines

FYI In California, Primitivo is called Zinfandel. They make loads of it that is very good and very affordable. Expect to see it early because they can easily fill containers.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, SooKee said:

My theory from the outset with this was that IF it ever did happen, the suppliers would adopt the view that people are used to paying the current prices, would not pass the tax reduction on to the consumer and would simply pocket the difference as extra profit as a result of them having to pay less tax.

is there a government sanctioned monopoly on wine import? If not you could easily undercut the competition right now and make good business. Being this is Thailand I bet they rigged the market at some level though.

• Love It 1

On 1/8/2024 at 8:50 AM, ikke1959 said:

So no more 250% tax but only 10% or are the prices of the wines going down with5- 10%?

Not sure how it works so will ask:

Do the supermarkets and wine merchants all pay their tax up front to the Thai gov't after importation?

Because if so, they might have to sell their old stock first before they drop the price.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Not sure how it works so will ask:

Do the supermarkets and wine merchants all pay their tax up front to the Thai gov't after importation?

Because if so, they might have to sell their old stock first before they drop the price.

Than there is a lot of stock as it is not sold out after 6 months all over Thailand

• Like 1

Someone in the government obviously thought there would be a PR benefit if they said the taxes on imported wine would be eliminated.

So they claimed they would do it, got the PR benefit and then forgot about it.

Mostly, they are "mulling" some reform, and that's as far as they go.