Farmers Now Forbidden From Drying Rice On Roads

webfact

11 hours ago, sungod said:

Yes, it will be nice to take a look at some of the crop burning areas in rural Issan too.

No need to go there for that. Just take a flight from Don Mueang airport and look out of the window. Lot's of smoke and fires to see. You can however not see the rice put out to dry on the roads from your plane seat.

Edited by msbkk

14 hours ago, msbkk said:

It is a common sight when travelling in Isaan rural areas. For those here who are surprised I suggest to visit the real Thailand outside the tourist ghettos.:smile:

Exactly, after being on this forum for years. It is staggering how many live here and don't know anything about Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

On 1/12/2024 at 7:30 AM, msbkk said:

It is a common sight when travelling in Isaan rural areas. For those here who are surprised I suggest to visit the real Thailand outside the tourist ghettos.:smile:

Sometimes causes small traffic jams on rural roads as one lane is blocked completely.  It is also dangerous, as it can be hard to see them at twilight or in the dark.

• Agree 2

Nearly 20 years ago i did a trip in the Phillies,all around the main island.

Coming around a corner there was a lot of rice on the road in our lane,no way to get around it

and in the opposite lane was a car coming.

I can tell you cars have no traction on rice on the road.

We skidded of the road into a field,luckily we did not go fast and no damage done.

I can really understand why this rule is necessary.

It is very dangerous!!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/12/2024 at 3:36 PM, BritScot said:

You want to see them drying chilli!!! You would never eat a dry chilli again. Rats running all over it. 

Now you know why they call them /phríkˑkhîiˑnǔu/ (literally rat faeces chillies).

Edited by Foxx
  • Haha 1

'they could be immediately arrested'

Who by for goodness sake? From my experience you're very unlikely to see a policeman on a rural road, unless he's going to or from his very large property. They might be given the opportunity to make a 'charitable donation' but I doubt they'd be arrested. It's probably been illegal for years but nobody bothered about it.

Having said that, a couple of nights ago I was driving back from the market with a bike close behind me, either with a very bright headlight or his main beam on, so I slowed and pulled to the left to let him pass. This was with a straight piece of road in front of me, not on a bend as some Thais seem to favour. As he went by I noticed he was a policeman.

On 1/12/2024 at 11:12 AM, bunnydrops said:

I don't think this one will be enforced. But as for the burning, it has all but stopped in my area (west of Phimai). Cane fields use stripper machines now to remove the leaf.

Strippers should be supplied to the farmers by the government and rented out at minimal cost to farmers through Farmers Collectives. The cost would far outway the cost to the country by medical costs and the loss of tourists.

Ideally roads should not be used to dry rice. However, what alternatives does a small farmer have? Commercial drying equipment would be expensive and not economic to most farmers. Alternatives - drying in the fields is a problem if the ground is still damp, and more problems with birds, insects and other animals, and potentially more dust.

Some farmers have suitable places to lay out the rice and dry it. But those farmers who only own a couple of rice paddies and a small house with little or no outside yard/garden have a problem. If the government want to stop the practice, they need to provide/support/encourage alternative facilities.