Thai Government Debates Alcohol Advertising, Sales Hours

webfact

54 minutes ago, Joedoebarinio said:

No sales from 2pm - 5pm is typical of the political sector. No real understanding of the situation. 

Again let me point out it is midnight-11:00am and 2:00pm-5:00pm. Alcohol at 7's etc is only for sale for 10hrs in the day.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, redwood1 said:

What we need is

Smoke weed....Go to jail

Smoke Tobacco...Go to jail

Drink alcohol....Go to jail

Eat meat....Go to jail

Have sex....Go to jail  

You do you boo. Don't think anyone else here needs any of that. 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Fantastic. The black Cat one is brilliant. Bt190 a bottle. :burp:

130 a bottle. Kaw Rup Kaew!

Back then I use to pay 65 Baht for a small bottle of Sangthip and could sit at a table on the street all night paying only another 5 Baht per bottle for soda, 8 Baht for Coke, and 5 Baht for a bucket of ice. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ABCDBKK said:

130 a bottle. Kaw Rup Kaew!

Back then I use to pay 65 Baht for a small bottle of Sangthip and could sit at a table on the street all night paying only another 5 Baht per bottle for soda, 8 Baht for Coke, and 5 Baht for a bucket of ice. 

When I 1st got here (2004) you could get 3 bottles of Chang for bt100 some places 3 bottles of Leo for 100 or just over. Packet of smokes around the bt30 mark. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, mikebell said:

Mere hypocrisy, like protectively blurring out cigarettes and guns on TV when they are on full view on every corner where there's a cop (not many admittedly!)

Don't forget boobies, cleavage, side boob, under boob, someone holding a gun, a knife, angry dogs, butt crack and any white powder on a table.

Edited by fondue zoo

12 hours ago, TheAppletons said:

"Thaophiphob also proposed in the second draft to lift the ban on selling alcohol during certain periods in Thailand. In some countries, limiting selling hours is not related to controlling alcoholic beverages; it results in increased consumption and drunkenness, said Thaophiphob. As an example, this would drop the highly unpopular 2PM to 5PM ban on selling alcohol."

"...it results in increased consumption and drunkenness,...."

Completely wrong! This was proved in Scotland many years ago, and without going in to a long explanation, basically, people only have so much money to spend on alcohol, so they tend to drink slower when they have a longer time to drink, hence drunkenness actually goes DOWN! 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, redwood1 said:

What we need is

Smoke weed....Go to jail

Eat meat....Go to jail

Have sex....Go to jail  

You forgot about burning witches!

Those big buckles on your shoes pinching a bit are they?

PS I realise (hope) that you are taking the Mickey!

Edited by herfiehandbag

10 hours ago, mikebell said:

Mere hypocrisy, like protectively blurring out cigarettes and guns on TV when they are on full view on every corner where there's a cop (not many admittedly!)

1 hour ago, fondue zoo said:

Don't forget boobies, cleavage, side boob, under boob, someone holding a gun, a knife, angry dogs, butt crack and any white powder on a table.

We must protect the pure innocence of the people - after all there is no prostitution in Pattaya!

1 hour ago, sambum said:

"...it results in increased consumption and drunkenness,...."

Completely wrong! This was proved in Scotland many years ago, and without going in to a long explanation, basically, people only have so much money to spend on alcohol, so they tend to drink slower when they have a longer time to drink, hence drunkenness actually goes DOWN! 

Totally correct!

I lived in Scotland when it happened.

It also changed the "take away" (food) and "Carry out" (drink to take home culture) and restaurant opening times expanded so did the overall wining and dining experience become so much better! 

PS!  Another Scottish drinking rule in the before 1962 was that to have a drink on a a Sunday, outside of your home, you had to be a so called "bona fide" traveller and travel 12 miles to get a drink! (no breathalysers in those days)

The Licensing (Scotland) Act 1962, repealed "BONA FIDE TRAVELLER" conditions!

Edited by scottiejohn
PS added.

Sitting in a bar in the early afternoon having a quiet drink as I do before I go home and cook dinner I noticed people coming in and buying a beer to take to the beach. I thought there was a 7/11 next door why come into a bar and pay their prices? Of course, it was 4 PM.

9 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

In the UK they can show someone who appears to be under 25 in an advert for alcohol.

Say what?

The rules which apply to ads across all media place a particular emphasis on protecting young people. Alcohol ads must not be directed at people under 18 or contain anything that is likely to appeal to them by reflecting youth culture. Any individuals that feature in alcohol ads must be 25 years of age or over, and look it. There are also strict controls around the placement of alcohol ads and they are currently banned from appearing in and around programmes targeted at audiences below the age of 18 and programmes likely to appeal particularly to this age group. 

The more general rules in place to protect consumers of all ages include: not linking the consumption of alcohol to increased popularity, sexual success, confidence, sporting achievements or mental performance; not portraying drinking alcohol as a challenge or with tough or daring behaviour; not encouraging people to adopt an unwise style of drinking such as binge drinking or showing it being served irresponsibly; not suggesting alcohol has therapeutic qualities or can help you overcome your problems.  

Helpful information on the advertising rules for Alcohol ads, and examples of previous Advertising Standards Authority rulings in this area.

10 hours ago, redwood1 said:

What we need is

Smoke weed....Go to jail

Eat meat....Go to jail

Have sex....Go to jail  

move to Russia!

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Indeed.. watching a foreign movie is undoable by all the blurring.. even a glass wine, beer, a cigarette a bikini everything seems to be  inappropriate in worlds most known sex country 

As bad as watching a movie on Saudi Air in the 90's. By the time it was all censored the whole movie was about 20 minutes long.:biggrin:

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, redwood1 said:

What we need is

Smoke weed....Go to jail

Eat meat....Go to jail

Have sex....Go to jail  

Swear on ThaiVisa... Go to jail sin bin :saai:

• Haha 1

On 1/12/2024 at 5:02 PM, dinsdale said:

Again let me point out it is midnight-11:00am and 2:00pm-5:00pm. Alcohol at 7's etc is only for sale for 10hrs in the day.

Well are the 7-11s actually open 24hrs/day? A Snickers bar can only be bought for 16 or so hours if not. I have a few shops near me selling whenever they are open!

On 1/12/2024 at 9:53 AM, herfiehandbag said:

I am not sure that, certainly visual, advertising of alcohol is a problem any more.

If we are to believe what we often read, it is mostly obscured by a haze of pot smoke!

Seriously though, has anyone ever been persuaded to buy a particular brand of beer by the logo on a bottle of soda water?

Seems to me the discussion should be on other very different factors aimed at reducing* / controlling* alcohol consumption and no parliamentary time wasted on logos on soda water bottles, except to just pass a law, quickly, to ban all alcohol advertising including brand names and logos. 

*In aware of one country where there's permanent breathalyser stations in several direction close to areas with pub, etc. In another state the licensee is responsible to ensure nobody over a certain limit (breathalyser tests conducted by the pub licensee) is allowed to drive away and the licensee is responsible to confiscate car keys and provide organized transport to get drunk customers home.  This actually works well and got big endorsement from the public because drink driving accidents and deaths/injuries went way down. 

On 1/15/2024 at 8:20 AM, jacko45k said:

Well are the 7-11s actually open 24hrs/day? A Snickers bar can only be bought for 16 or so hours if not. I have a few shops near me selling whenever they are open!

Of course 711's are open 24hrs a day but only 10 of those hrs can you buy alcohol. What's your point? Mom and pop shops sell when they're open. Everyone knows this. Allow 2-5 sales and to appease some maybe ban from midnight to 5 or 6 am. Personally I think 24hrs sales. For a bit of trivia 711 means open for 7 days a week 11 hrs a day. These were the hrs for the 1st 711 which at the time was the longest openning hrs for any store/shop.

21 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Of course 711's are open 24hrs a day but only 10 of those hrs can you buy alcohol. What's your point? Mom and pop shops sell when they're open. Everyone knows this. Allow 2-5 sales and to appease some maybe ban from midnight to 5 or 6 am. Personally I think 24hrs sales. For a bit of trivia 711 means open for 7 days a week 11 hrs a day. These were the hrs for the 1st 711 which at the time was the longest openning hrs for any store/shop.

I thought  7-11s closed at midnight.....last time I was out late I failed to even notice!:passifier:

Edited by jacko45k

On 1/12/2024 at 3:23 PM, Scott Tracy said:

Say what?

The rules which apply to ads across all media place a particular emphasis on protecting young people. Alcohol ads must not be directed at people under 18 or contain anything that is likely to appeal to them by reflecting youth culture. Any individuals that feature in alcohol ads must be 25 years of age or over, and look it. There are also strict controls around the placement of alcohol ads and they are currently banned from appearing in and around programmes targeted at audiences below the age of 18 and programmes likely to appeal particularly to this age group. 

The more general rules in place to protect consumers of all ages include: not linking the consumption of alcohol to increased popularity, sexual success, confidence, sporting achievements or mental performance; not portraying drinking alcohol as a challenge or with tough or daring behaviour; not encouraging people to adopt an unwise style of drinking such as binge drinking or showing it being served irresponsibly; not suggesting alcohol has therapeutic qualities or can help you overcome your problems.  

Helpful information on the advertising rules for Alcohol ads, and examples of previous Advertising Standards Authority rulings in this area.

In the UK they can't show someone who appears to be under 25 in an advert for alcohol.

"
Alcohol ads must not be directed at people under 18 or contain anything that is likely to appeal to them by reflecting youth culture. Any individuals that feature in alcohol ads must be 25 years of age or over, and look it."