Pot industry pushes back against draft law that would put an end to Thailand’s cannabis revolution

webfact

2 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Has there been a notable increase in tourism since weed was removed from the narcotics list ?

I do sympathise with the shop owners and farmers who might go out of business but why start up a business when it wasn’t in black and white what the laws were going to be ?

Is it black and white what the laws are in the sex trade? Is it black and white what the laws are regarding the use of Bitcoin? Is it black and white what the laws are regarding house or land ownership by foreigners in Thailand?

Where would you be if businesses always waited for "black and white" before taking risks?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

A year in prison for smoking a join for fun instead of for medicinal purposes but no prosecution for speed pills, no matter whether they were for recreational purposes or not.

As per usual, the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

The situation now is all down to poor strategy and management, which is endemic throughout Thailand.

Had the cannabis laws been well-thought-out and implemented correctly, there would be no ambiguity about what it or what is not allowed and risk to businesses and investments in the sector would have been minimised.

As it stands, it is another complete mess you've got us into Somchai. 🤡

• Like 1

1 hour ago, candide said:

Agree.

Alternatively: smoke a second joint later instead of drinking! 😁

Trouble with that is that it soon becomes a law of diminishing returns and you waste your stash chasing the initial buzz.

The OP is about the draft bill which is just been released.  Why not stick to discussion of that, rather than discussing pros and cons for cannabis which can be done on countless other threads and fora?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, JackGats said:

This shows you don't know what you're talking about. Cannabis + ethanol is a lousy combo, every user knows that. At least every cannabis user does. Maybe some boozers don't as a good deal of their neurons will have been killed by ethanol (a skin desinfectant and industrial solvent).

Yes you are right,talking about excess use of anything will turn up something negative.

Combos usually do not work well.

That goes for many things.

Even mixing two kinds of alcohol creates problems for some.

Some people seem to forget about the fine line between use and abuse.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, JackGats said:

This shows you don't know what you're talking about. Cannabis + ethanol is a lousy combo, every user knows that. At least every cannabis user does. Maybe some boozers don't as a good deal of their neurons will have been killed by ethanol (a skin desinfectant and industrial solvent).

You have just confirmed what I said🤣😂 I.e. ethanol and cannabis is a bad mix. Everyone knows that. Thank you 🤣😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Shocked farang said:

You are only looking at your side of the equation. I have watched many documentaries about people with all kinds of conditions who were helped by cannabis. You particular case really struck me a few years ago about a young girl whose family had moved to Colorado just to have access to medical cannabis, she had extremely painful migraines, she became quite ok after being treated with cannabis ( I mean full cannabis to be smoked, not only CBD). 

Adding to that, many moons ago when I entered an Amsterdam coffee shop, there was a girl in there with ME inhaling a bag of vapour from those special machines they had even back then. 
People were using it for medical reasons even back then, but they had to travel to Amsterdam to do it. 
So many ignorant people on these threads, spouting off when knowing nothing. 
Likely many of the people who you might think are smoking recreationally, are probably not. They perhaps choose to self medicate instead of going to a doctor and being prescribed pills for their condition. 
Even the people who you might have developed psychosis via smoking weed, had issues BEFORE they smoked the stuff. 
Think about how some people are scared of dogs. One person might be absolutely calm and the other might be having a panic attack. Both people in the same situation, standing next to each other, but completely different reactions. It’s not the weed; it’s you!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

If they are going to make possession of up to 5 speed pills a crime that will not be prosecuted, it will be difficult to make possession of cannabis illegal, even if you are not allowed to use the cannabis in your possession.  If you claimed you didn't intend to use it but just liked the look and scent of it - like pot pourri - what could they do?

It will, of course be a giant scheme forcing all those small folks, who do not want to risk a police report being squashed only with the court case, to use brown envelopes.

I would say, a win-win for all the important people involved, from politicians to police to the big business owners (who loose all small competition in one quick cut). A typical Thai solution...

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

Says the poster who regularly urges that the families of senators should be hounded for being in the pay of various interests...

Actually I don't say that, I say the senators should be criticized and punished for being in under (MBTA) morally bankrupt Thai army control. When the army takes over the organs of government that is positively evil, and a sign of significant moral bankruptcy. 

This is far worse than simple corruption. 

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Shocked farang said:

There is a YouTuber who interviewed a cannabis store owner (a big shop on Sukhunwit Rd) and this guy claims

that he's totally prepared for what is coming as next to the shop he has a clinic that will employ many Thai traditional medicine doctors who will be able to issue prescriptions for any recreational customer who needs one! Brilliant!!!

I agree, even Steve Wonder could see that coming.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, RobU said:

Did you actually read my post? Documented fact that cannabis causes Paranoia combine that with alcohol and you have big trouble including domestic violence and murder for no reason whatsoever 

let me guess, you've never smoked...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, Robert Tyrrell said:

Good Afternoon,

why would you want to squash a 1.8 Billion Thai Baht annually in government revenue !!?? 

Alcohol kills far more then cannabis will ever !! 
No problem with underage drinking in Thailand, Thai Youth underage going to village shops buying beer 🍺 and whiskey 🥃For there parents and drinking and driving and killing people.

Not to mention trying to stop a booming industry that’s providing Thais with jobs and opportunities for farmers, Especially during a global economic downturn. 
Common Sense Thailand 🇹🇭 !!!! 

The Ten Families had to be sure they wouldn't be condemned morally before they took it all over. Let the unwashed poorrs play in the pool for a bit, gauge public and international opinions and then when it's value can be determined it's all of a sudden "a private pool, everyone out of the pool, we'll take it from here, you'll only spend the money on boring poorrs things and yoda bongs."  

This stratagem is not specific to Siam.

Edited by fondue zoo
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, ericthai said:

let me guess, you've never smoked...

Yes I have I remember one time when I was going through hell, probably the most stressful time of my life. I smoked a joint and slept for the first time in weeks. Very easy to become dependant on something like that just like alcoholism. Which is what usually happens then it's just a slippery slope to abuse of the substance and it's paranoic side effects. Fortunately I didn't need it again what I have quoted is an example of the medical use of cannabis which in modern times doesn't need to be smoked and should be strictly controlled like all the other soporific drugs on the market.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I used to smoke too, for a few decades and even when I was high on the most powerful stuff, nearly obliterated out of my mind, my reflexes were far sharper than they are after I've had three drinks.

I never even came close to getting in a traffic accident, when I drink it's a whole different story.

Alcohol is infinitely more dangerous than ganja on a dozen different levels. Not to mention tobacco, as you say both are industries that the government generates huge income from.

Hypocrisy? Absolutely, in its worst form and at its ugliest level. 

Years ago, I found myself in a car in which the driver and the other passengers were high. It was scary.

"even when I was high on the most powerful stuff, nearly obliterated out of my mind, my reflexes were far sharper than they are after I've had three drinks." - I really don't think so, just as a drunk driver is sometimes convinced that the alcohol makes him a better driver is! By the way I don't condone drunk driving!

I would also suggest that there are physical health risks associated with regular smoking, be it marijuana or tobacco.

I tend to agree that there is an element of hypocrisy in banning cannabis whilst allowing alcohol and tobacco, but, there are many worse and uglier hypocrisies both in Thailand and worldwide,

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

Most of the regulations and penalties in the draft are for businesses and growers in the cannabis trade.  For users I see only the 60,000 baht fine for recreational use and the 1 year in jail and/or 20,000 baht fine for driving while intoxicated with cannabis. 

This driving aspect seems to overlap with the existing law on driving while intoxicated with alcohol or other substances, where I think the maximum penalties are higher.  There is wording about the obligation to take a cannabis test, if demanded, and you are deemed intoxicated with cannabis, if you refuse to be tested.  But it doesn't say what the limit is or what type of testing they will do.  I don't think anyone has out with a particularly suitable test for roadside testing. Most existing tests will just confirm that you consumed cannabis within the last few days but it is hard to determine whether someone is intoxicated to the point that driving would be impaired.  They could end up busting anyone who has any traces of cannabis in their system, even if they are stone cold sober.  This would be unfair as they allow a small amount of alcohol in the body.

Cannabis tests can detect THC in the urine for usage between 1 and 30 days. not sure how a quick test can tell if a person  has consumed the same day or the day before, and which one counts as a felony?

Unless it's a very high dose, Cannabis doesn't influence driving capacity, it does make you drive like you are sleepy, which can be dangerous for some people.

What many people will never get is that Cannabis is not like Alcohol. Small doses of cannabis are really good for many reasons. 

I dont drink or smoke tobacco, I hate those 2.

I have kids, a busy work from home schedule, busy life, train muay thai and bjj and do regular exercises. 

Most days in the morning or in the afternoon I really need to smoke a bit feel a bit released and more energetic, it really helps me a lot to motivate in the mornings and get me through some hard days.

At times I dont smoke for weeks, like when I go to Japan or Singapore for regular work. One thing I learned is to have micro doses, I buy 10g-20g of pop or trims of my favorite strains and it last me like a whole month or more for just 500 Baht!

Micro dosage is amazing, small doses are great, medium to high doses makes you way too lazy, high doses you are couch locked or too passed out.

it also helps me a lot to get rid of all the arthritis pain I get on my knees and also the pain from my training when I get beat up often.

For some people it helps a lot, for some it doesnt make sense or they dont need it.

• Like 2