Tragic motorcycle sidecar accident claims life of Thai child

image.jpeg

A tragic accident occurred just a day after Children’s Day when five related children were driving a motorcycle sidecar home and crashed into an electricity pole. The oldest of the children, a ten year old girl, lost her life.

The unfortunate incident took place around 9.30pm yesterday, January 14, when Thai Buddhist Charity Foundation volunteers in Kabin Buri were notified of a motorcycle sidecar accident involving a collision with a streetlight pole. The incident resulted in one fatality and three injuries.

The location of the mishap was on the road between Ban Wang Tha Chang and Ban Wang Kwang in Moo 10, Wang Tha Chang Subdistrict, Kabin Buri District, Prachin Buri Province. Upon receiving the distress call, the volunteers immediately rushed to the scene of the accident, reported KhaoSod.

Upon arrival, heart-wrenching scenes unfolded as it was discovered that all five victims, two boys and three girls, were children. One of the fatalities was a ten year old girl from Wang Tha Chang Subdistrict, Kabin Buri District, Prachin Buri Province.

by Nattapong Westwood

Photo courtesy of Khao Sod

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-01-15

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 8

Those sidecars are highly dangerous.

Made in backyard workshops.

Sidecar no break, no lights and 95% not even some reflector/luminous strips.

Very hard to detect in the dark.

Should neither be allowed in the dark nor on major roads and of course not for kids.

Some chance it was a "hit and run" thing.

Car saw them too late, honked or passed very close.

Edited by KhunBENQ

10yrs girl old allowed to drive, a M/C sidecar with 4 child passengers, and no one thought that was not OK, all parents involved obviously would have known. I'm lost for words. 

And take a look at the M/C in the background, of the photo, I see more kids crammed on that one.

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Those sidecars are highly dangerous.

Made in backyard workshops.

Sidecar no break, no lights and 95% not even some reflector/luminous strips.

Very hard to detect in the dark.

Should neither be allowed in the dark nor on major roads and of course not for kids.

Some chance it was a "hit and run" thing.

Car saw them too late, honked or passed very close.

That is quite a list of assumptions. And all clearly made without you actually bothering to read the link.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

A tragic accident occurred just a day after Children’s Day when five related children were driving a motorcycle sidecar home and crashed into an electricity pole. The oldest of the children, a ten year old girl, lost her life.

The unfortunate incident took place around 9.30pm yesterday, January 14, when Thai Buddhist Charity Foundation volunteers in Kabin Buri were notified of a motorcycle sidecar accident involving a collision with a streetlight pole. The incident resulted in one fatality and three injuries.

The location of the mishap was on the road between Ban Wang Tha Chang and Ban Wang Kwang in Moo 10, Wang Tha Chang Subdistrict, Kabin Buri District, Prachin Buri Province. Upon receiving the distress call, the volunteers immediately rushed to the scene of the accident, reported KhaoSod.

Upon arrival, heart-wrenching scenes unfolded as it was discovered that all five victims, two boys and three girls, were children. One of the fatalities was a ten year old girl from Wang Tha Chang Subdistrict, Kabin Buri District, Prachin Buri Province.

by Nattapong Westwood

Photo courtesy of Khao Sod

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-01-15

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

So even the driver was a child? Sad 🙏

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

tragic that this is possible indeed.. No responsibility of parents and /or teachers  to let 5 kids drive a motorcycle and of course the lack of real enforcement of the laws in general by the RTP. So sorry for the wasted life, but it could have been prevented

'resistance is futile'

In July one of our daughter's classmates died at scene of an accident, along with her younger brother who passed away in hospital from head injury.

They were n a highway going home from school, overtaking a truck on a corner, no licence, no helmets. 

Head-on into an approaching pickup. As it was Friday after school, kids at the hospital, kids and teachers at the temple in a brief mourning period. Parents lost their only family.

But Monday morning it was business as usual as I took daughter to school, police with their whistles managing traffic into the school, teachers at the gate, kids on motorbikes minus helmets and too young to have a licence. 

Last night I picked her up from school at 8pm they'd been away on a class bus trip. On the way I had to almost stop against the kerb, as three boys in school uniform were racing towards me (they'd be her classmates) - all with pillions, no helmets, one each lane one on the centreline. That's the next candidates for joining the raid fatality statistics.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, gomangosteen said:

'resistance is futile'

In July one of our daughter's classmates died at scene of an accident, along with her younger brother who passed away in hospital from head injury.

They were n a highway going home from school, overtaking a truck on a corner, no licence, no helmets. 

Head-on into an approaching pickup. As it was Friday after school, kids at the hospital, kids and teachers at the temple in a brief mourning period. Parents lost their only family.

But Monday morning it was business as usual as I took daughter to school, police with their whistles managing traffic into the school, teachers at the gate, kids on motorbikes minus helmets and too young to have a licence. 

Last night I picked her up from school at 8pm they'd been away on a class bus trip. On the way I had to almost stop against the kerb, as three boys in school uniform were racing towards me (they'd be her classmates) - all with pillions, no helmets, one each lane one on the centreline. That's the next candidates for joining the raid fatality statistics.

That is what I mean, Thais don't learn anything and nothing will change...The only way to make it better is strict control, but by the corrupt RTP and other officials/institutions, outdatred ;laws as always passing, they can't never solve the problem... It will take a least 60 years....but alas.. ity is their country and stupidity  

• Like 1

99.9% of side car motorbikes are illegal. There are only a few, factory made, that has been approved by LTA.

It also would not hurt to wear a helmet, sadly this habit has more or less disappeared and the police don't care.

As 85% of all fatalities are motor bike drivers or passengers you could probably half the national death toll by enforcing the helmet law.

Those motorbike sidecars are a sad joke.  While visiting the in-laws up North, I needed to go to 7-11 and used the family's motorbike with a sidecar.  That thing was dangerous as hell, the bike did not drive in a straight line, it kept pulling to the right and I had to use force to keep it driving straight.