Can i keep my family in home country from knowing if i die?

Pouatchee

Sorry dor another morbid topic on death.

My life and wife are here now for over 20 years.

My family is estranged. I dont want them to know if i pass. Personal reasons... 

Can i instruct my wife to keep my passing from my family back home im my last will and testament?

Will the embassy "canuck" respect my dying wishes?

Edited by Pouatchee

6 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The police have to be informed of the death of a foreigner who then, as a matter of course, advise their embassy.

Yes but that's just a formality because he has a wife. Embassy doesn't do anything they're not legally bound to do.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Of course they have to be informed , how else could they exercise any interest they might have in your estate? 

They do not have any interest in the OPs estate if he does not put it in his will.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, KannikaP said:
34 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Of course they have to be informed , how else could they exercise any interest they might have in your estate? 

They do not have any interest in the OPs estate if he does not put it in his will.

Circling back on that, how do they know they have no interest in the will if they don't know he died and have an opportunity to see the will.  Or even if they just hear from an attorney that there's nothing in it for them? 

And regardless of what you may believe you have "back home", it's almost impossible to leave without something being unfinished.  For which the family will be contacted.

30 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Depends on if the death is reported to the embassy in the first place, doesn't it?

I'm pretty sure that's mandatory for the police to report to.   Of course the Embassy will inform the gov't pension department of said country,  (if USA / Soc Sec/IRS) to stop payment & collect taxes.

If have wife & will, I think notifying the immediate family would be satisfied with the wife.  Make sure your embassy has contact info (next of kin) of person to be contacted. 

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

Foreigner deaths in Thailand are always reported to the embassy, this is a requirement when foreigners receive pensions, so the gov is notified and the pension terminated. If they also have contact numbers and addresses for NOK then they will notify. 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

I think I read somewhere on ASEAN that you can specify a next of kin.

However, I tend to agree with others that the all seeing, overbearing, "we make the rules about your life and death not you" governments of the "developed nations" don't give a monkey's about what you want whether you are alive or dead.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pouatchee said:

My family is estranged. I dont want them to know if i pass. Personal reasons... 

If you are worried that your estranged family might try to get their hands on your estate here in Thailand. Make sure you have a will leaving everything to your wife. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Do hospitals do so? What if someone dies in a hospital. Do doctors inform the embassy?

Yes it's law, in most cases the foreigner (a tourist) doesn't have a NOK in Thailand so the hospital wants the embassy to come and take the body away. In the case of the foreigner being legally married to a Thai and having a NOK to take care of the funeral, it's still law to notify the foreign embassy. 

26 minutes ago, CharlieKo said:

If you are worried that your estranged family might try to get their hands on your estate here in Thailand. Make sure you have a will leaving everything to your wife. 

my family doesnt need my estate... they have plenty already. i just dont want to have anything to do with them be it in life or death.

wife has been instructed that in case of my demise she is to immediately transfer all my savings to her bank...

• Agree 2

Don't know anything about Canadian public records but in U.K. the Births and Death index are available to anyone. If a British Citizen dies abroad the death is registered in the country of death. It is not required (but can be done optionally) to register the death in U.K. also. Preventing your family from being aware of your death if it was registered in Canadian public records might not be possible?  

Edited by The Fugitive
Grammatical error.