Thailand to tackle declining birth rate as national issue

webfact

image.jpeg

Cholnan Srikaew, the Public Health Minister, announced the government’s intent to prioritise the country’s dwindling birth rate as a national issue. In a response to Senator Ampol Chindawattana’s query regarding the falling birth rate, Cholnan explained that the challenge isn’t straightforward to address due to shifting priorities and socioeconomic values.

The government, however, recognised the urgency of the situation, given the substantial economic and social repercussions of an unchecked decline in the birth rate. Experts projected that under the current trend, the population of Thailand will reduce to approximately 33 million in around six decades.

Cholnan elaborated that if this trend persists, Thailand would see a population break-up of around 18 million elder citizens, 14 million adults of working age, and a mere one million individuals aged between 0 and 14 in about 60 years.

Rather than merely focusing on boosting the nation’s birth rate, the government intends to pay equal attention to the quality of human development and capital. The government’s proposals to encourage births and further invest in human capital development are currently under Cabinet review.

by Mitch Connor

Photo courtesy of หมอชลน่านFcไม่มีดราม่า

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-01-16

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

There are just so many things more interesting than a woman now.  Netflix, youtube, gaming, disposable income.  We live in a time of amazing affordable technology.

Unless she has a slideshow down there or an audio guide I am not interested.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bamnutsak said:

This calls for a "Super" Committee.

If people felt positive about the future of the country they'd be inclined to parent more children.

And sub-committees.

• Confused 1

What incentive is there to make babies when most Thai men leave their pregnant woman for another girl and when parents for the most part do not even raise their own kids. They send them to grandma. Then of course go to work as a bar girl haha. There is not any incentive like monetary gain and welfare assistance, medical or even child care for the single woman who actually want to work. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

the government intends to pay equal attention to the quality of human development and capital.

Ah, now there's a thought ...

At 72 years old and married for 50 years to a Chinese lady, I am still interested in women overall. I find them interesting and  appreciate their bodies but also their different ways of thinking. If my wife passed away before me, I would like to marry again.

I do wish we would had more than 2 children.

I don't understand a generation who doesn't value marriage and children. In my opinion, their moral compass is broken.

4 hours ago, Chris Daley said:

There are just so many things more interesting than a woman now.  Netflix, youtube, gaming, disposable income.  We live in a time of amazing affordable technology.

So true, sex is the most over rated human activity and almost no women are worth the cost, effort and stress. Love kids, but never wanted any nor does the mrs, there is not a world shortage!

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Cholnan elaborated that if this trend persists, Thailand would see a population break-up of around 18 million elder citizens, 14 million adults of working age, and a mere one million individuals aged between 0 and 14 in about 60 years.

That's going to be bad for business, tourism and otherwise....  :-)

Who's gonna shine those poles once they get just a few years older?

A declining birth rate is a good thing. I wish it were a world-wide statistic. Humans have greatly overpopulated the Earth, and that's part of why we are destroying the Earth's environment. :sad:

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The government, however, recognised the urgency of the situation, given the substantial economic and social repercussions of an unchecked decline in the birth rate. Experts projected that under the current trend, the population of Thailand will reduce to approximately 33 million in around six decades.

They are worried about the Tax and the money they can't  collect to fill their pockets if the population is cut in Halve.

007½, licence to <deleted>.

edit:- I was referring to "French Connection U K", honest, guv.

Edited by Grusa
Clarification.

17 hours ago, Chris Daley said:

jurassic-park-entance.gif

welcome-to-jurassic-park.gif.3d62d64a58c6caa6c15cf549293917c4.gif

jurassic-park-shades.gif