Risk of bursting washing machine water hose?

OneMoreFarang

21 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Sorry, when you said "flow restriction tap" I thought you meant something special. 

Sorry - try to avoid such misunderstandings but old age getting me at times.  Just that actually using an adjustable tap for bidet hose and never have set to full flow.

56 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

using an adjustable tap for bidet hose and never have set to full flow

I think even then the pressure is the same. If it burst, then less water will spill. But I guess you still have enough flow to possibly create flooding. 

50 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think even then the pressure is the same. If it burst, then less water will spill. But I guess you still have enough flow to possibly create flooding. 

Exactly. Closing the valve will not reduce the pressure, it only reduces flow. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Indeed with no flow pressure is same but volume of water passed will be much less if hose blows and floor drain can easily cope.

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Indeed with no flow pressure is same but volume of water passed will be much less if hose blows and floor drain can easily cope.

So how long does it take for your toilet to fill with the valve just cracked open? 

12 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

So how long does it take for your toilet to fill with the valve just cracked open? 

The toilets are on different taps which is not restricted.  In our case use T type split taps as below:

image.png.080b16431fe3bbdfd1ebb17ad4929fcc.pngimage.png.0907ca5a12e5982e36e408c9e27514e8.png

Edited by lopburi3

21 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

New pipes would have no effect on the pressure as long as the water is not running. 

Your comment was an inspiration to check the pressure with running water.

Before: 3bar

Flush the toilet, maybe for 1/2s 2.5bar, then steady back to 3bar.

I measured the pressure on a valve which is very near to the toilet water supply. Valves fully open.

18 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Your comment was an inspiration to check the pressure with running water.

Before: 3bar

Flush the toilet, maybe for 1/2s 2.5bar, then steady back to 3bar.

Good, rightly sized pipes minimize pressure-drop. 

Flow is typically much more important (like when taking a shower) than pressure. 

18 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I measured the pressure on a valve which is very near to the toilet water supply. Valves fully open.

As it should be. 

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

The toilets are on different taps which is not restricted.  In our case use T type split taps as below:

image.png.080b16431fe3bbdfd1ebb17ad4929fcc.pngimage.png.0907ca5a12e5982e36e408c9e27514e8.png

Yeah, this is the one I just got for my kid's bathroom.

Walve.png.f76f1adb10bb2c4dddae64070d1809ab.png

The one he had only had one valve for both, and the toilet did not work as well as it should with the flow turned down to facilitate the bum-gun. 

I turn the valve off after each wash. A new connector on there, uses a small rubber gasket, and just held on by four screws. Does not seem to leak but I would not leave it on full time. The screws could pull off for whatever reason under pressure.

IMG_0404.jpeg

Edited by JimTripper

Murphy"s law, it can happen.

It never happend to me, mmmm, now im daring Murphy. Maybe better to shut it off every time, then also valve will stay actionable.

Never happened to me in my life (40 years). Though always the valve is in an accessible place, but guess as many too lazy to shut it off and relying on the hose.

However if im leaving for a longer period, I will shut off the MAIN valve and drain water pipe. Switch off MAIN electricity and MAIN valve of the gas. ALL will go off.

Now about one time, my neighbors house, on holiday, grandma was taking care and also garden.

So she had hose connected but let the pressure on it, not a good idea. But it was a garden hose, though they are also firm.

It went wrong and whole ground floor under water.

It is, I was home and heard that sound of water running, checked first my place, but it wasnt me. 

Somehow had phone number of daughter and called, but she was in cinema, didnt want to come right away.

Later she arrived and I was right in what I heard. Completely flooded.

Days of drying the house again, all floor covering (no tiles) removed, high water bill, furniture down the drain, lots of sh*t.

Wasmachine now running, but indeed after washing maybe shut down. Not tempting Murpy's law anymore.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1