Prison officials say Thaksin eligible for parole

snoop1130

2 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Impossible.. yesterday the news was that Thaksin should not be called an inmate.. and inmates can ask for parole.. So no inmate no parole.. Besides that he is out already and maybe not eeven in Thailand, as he wanted to be with his family and his daughter is in Dubai

Are you a lawyer? No thought not.

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, retarius said:

I suppose congratulations are due to all the Thaksin haters who 'knew' he wouldn't spend a night in jail. 

I wonder why you didn't go down to the hospital and protest?

We don't care that much about Thai politics.

They all have the same style of shoes in the end.

Nothing new.

,,,jhjjjj.JPG

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

000_33RZ7VA.jpg

Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra is eligible for parole which may see him freed potentially without having to spend a single night in jail despite the eight-year prison handed down on him for corruption and abuse of power, according to justice authorities.

They also confirmed that Thaksin is still being treated at the Police General Hospital.  They said a representative of the ombudsman met Thaksin while recently visiting the 14th floor of the hospital where he has reportedly been staying.

Thaksin ended his 15-year self-exile last August and was sentenced by the Supreme Court to eight years in jail for corruption and abuse of power. The sentence was subsequently reduced to one year by royal commutation.

Caption: Thaksin Shinawatra

Full story: Thai PBS 2024-01-17

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

So now, instead of Paetong, we will have Prime Minister Thaksin.  OH JOY

Also, anyone that does not think that once he is free, he will have a miraculous recovery that will allow him to go home and play golf and run the party is smoking the bad stuff they are selling on the streets.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Irish star said:

Let’s talk about Brexit again ffs 

You saw a large debate about Brexit--yes, I dont remember seeing brought up in post about people getting parole. 

Mr T could probably arrange for "The Farcemaster General" Brian Rix to write the script for a screenplay of this scenario/farce if he was still with us!

Still, it would appear that Mr T is back from the dead  - politically speaking of course!

6 hours ago, Reigntax said:

Once free he can do as he wishes although the anti Thaksin mob will be frothing from the mouth daily.

maybe you can form a group and froth together.

There are enough Thai people who never want to see him again. And it seems there are more and more people like that all the time.

They don't need a farang to explain to them that Thaksin is bad news. 

But then again, your experience in a red village somewhere up country might be different. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

He was given a royal pardon. No yellow shirts protest. PAD leaders acquited. Coup general promoted. End of story. Why so much conversation over him which none will make an iota of difference. Be glad that there will be no color shirts chaos and coups in the near future. Move on. 

You don't stop discussing politics or politicians simply because the conversation would not 'make an iota of difference' unless you are living in an authoritarian dictatorship.

I suspect many Thais are guilty of avoiding the 'conversation, hence the country's often weird governments made up of coalitions that seem unrepresentative of the preferences expressed in the election results. You see the same attitude expressed in the apparent acceptance of injustice and corruption in the Red Bull affair too.  In many respects I think Thai people get the politicians and governments they deserve. 

I think pardons and acquittals say more about the power of political opportunism and questionable alliances and practices than the worth of the individuals on whom they are bestowed. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Be glad that there will be no color shirts chaos and coups in the near future. Move on. 

Someone told me that in a bar in Bangkok back in 2003 not long after Thaksin was elected. I remember distinctly.

Didn't turn out too well, and I doubt that prediction will either.

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, stoner said:

Jesus ?

Jesus saith unto him, (Lazarus) Rise, take up thy bed, and walk. And immediately the man was made whole, and took up his bed, and walked: and on the same day.🥷...lol

Edited by wombat

9 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Not to mention getting the party that you were the "spiritual leader" of to completely sacrifice any sense of morality, ethics, principles, or representation of the people by jumping in bed with a highly toxic Army. 

Just out of curiosity, what will happen if PTP decide not to form the alternative coalition. The junta form a minority government and chaos in the House and probably in the streets. Unstable government, disfunction legislative house and economy stagnated in this troubled times. Another election and further financial drain and same results as the appointed senators are still involved in the voting. Is it worth it? 

Wouldn't be grand and ironic if he get out of hospital go home and than really get sick 

having to spend months in real hospital bed?...

Edited by ezzra
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Spock said:

You don't stop discussing politics or politicians simply because the conversation would not 'make an iota of difference' unless you are living in an authoritarian dictatorship.

I suspect many Thais are guilty of avoiding the 'conversation, hence the country's often weird governments made up of coalitions that seem unrepresentative of the preferences expressed in the election results. You see the same attitude expressed in the apparent acceptance of injustice and corruption in the Red Bull affair too.  In many respects I think Thai people get the politicians and governments they deserve. 

I think pardons and acquittals say more about the power of political opportunism and questionable alliances and practices than the worth of the individuals on whom they are bestowed. 

If you noticed, the subject of Thaksin's parole and hospitalization have not generated much interest in the media and on the street. It does seem that Thais have finally accepted the fact that the last 2 decades of colours hostilities and seizures of legimately elected governments were instigated by powerful personalities which have since passed and about maintaining the status quo. Perhaps the misfortune of Pita by the neo-conversative senators have opened their eyes that he was too victim of the establishment's reaction when challenged and not much about corruption. Thais will be happy with the easing of tension between the colours and the military.    

• Like 1

On 1/18/2024 at 2:33 PM, Purdey said:

Hopefully, this whole saga will have made voters turn against Pheu Thai, in greater numbers, in the next election.

It won't though, the establishment appears to view the general populace as children, and sometimes children need their betters to make the important choices for them.

11 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The Army soldier who was reported to stand post at the door to his 390 meter  army mansion, typically reserved for a general, says the Thaksin has been an exemplary prisoner. 

Thaksin = Keyser Söze  ?

4 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

If you noticed, the subject of Thaksin's parole and hospitalization have not generated much interest in the media and on the street. It does seem that Thais have finally accepted the fact that the last 2 decades of colours hostilities and seizures of legimately elected governments were instigated by powerful personalities which have since passed and about maintaining the status quo. Perhaps the misfortune of Pita by the neo-conversative senators have opened their eyes that he was too victim of the establishment's reaction when challenged and not much about corruption. Thais will be happy with the easing of tension between the colours and the military.    

I imagine the Thais will just as readily accept any decision in the next few weeks by the Constitutional court to dissolve the Move Forward Party for proposing reform to the lese majeste law. If so, it would seem kind of strange that the banning of the party that won the popular vote in the last election did not create a backlash of protest from the public. I wonder if the average Thai really cares much anymore about politics, or perhaps they have just had all enthusiasm for it sucked from them by the various machinations employed to maintain the same parties and individuals in power no matter who is deemed to have won an election.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Spock said:

I imagine the Thais will just as readily accept any decision in the next few weeks by the Constitutional court to dissolve the Move Forward Party for proposing reform to the lese majeste law. If so, it would seem kind of strange that the banning of the party that won the popular vote in the last election did not create a backlash of protest from the public. I wonder if the average Thai really cares much anymore about politics, or perhaps they have just had all enthusiasm for it sucked from them by the various machinations employed to maintain the same parties and individuals in power no matter who is deemed to have won an election.

In my opinion, the CC will dissolve MFP and impose a political ban on Pita for 5-10 years but allowed party MPs 60 days to migrate to other parties or register a different party. The CC has always send a strong message when adjudicating this kind of case. We have seen this before when TRT and PPP were dissolved. There will be sporadic limited protests but not prolonged. MPF followers are mostly young educated working supporters and lack charismatic leaders to lead the protests. They also lack resources and fundings like the Red or yellow shirts. Above all they don't have an exit plan like the yellow shirts with the military coming in on the pretext of restoring peace. Thaksin tried to attack the established structures and paid the price. The new MFP may have to do the same. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Just out of curiosity, what will happen if PTP decide not to form the alternative coalition. The junta form a minority government and chaos in the House and probably in the streets. Unstable government, disfunction legislative house and economy stagnated in this troubled times. Another election and further financial drain and same results as the appointed senators are still involved in the voting. Is it worth it? 

Okay I think the people should let the Army rule the country forever, it's just easier. Right? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

In my opinion, the CC will dissolve MFP and impose a political ban on Pita for 5-10 years but allowed party MPs 60 days to migrate to other parties or register a different party. The CC has always send a strong message when adjudicating this kind of case. We have seen this before when TRT and PPP were dissolved. There will be sporadic limited protests but not prolonged. MPF followers are mostly young educated working supporters and lack charismatic leaders to lead the protests. They also lack resources and fundings like the Red or yellow shirts. Above all they don't have an exit plan like the yellow shirts with the military coming in on the pretext of restoring peace. Thaksin tried to attack the established structures and paid the price. The new MFP may have to do the same. 

Don't forget MF replaced FF and came back stronger. I believe any ban will see the same.

Orange is a joyful colour, signifying vigour and life.

All the other parties are now colourless, bland, devoid of any sparkle.

• Agree 1

On 1/18/2024 at 12:13 AM, bultaco44 said:

Damn

I put a tenner on him going to the slammer

:1zgarz5:

Never mind, I have a lovely beach front property in Andorra going for a bargain......:biggrin: