Aussie woman zaps back to life after electrifying encounter with deadly jellyfish near Koh Pha Ngan

webfact

2 hours ago, harleyclarkey said:

Wrong topic (girl nearly died after box jellyfish stings)  to add your " Light hearted" post about you bonking your GF 

E x c u s e Me, very serious item, a woman nearly died out of an ell shock, can't joke about it... S O R R Y .....

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4

Hope the young lady recovers soon. When I came to Thailand I got stung on the knee and shin/calf areas. I suffered some swelling but a couple of locals applied some local plant preparation.  I was okay the next day. I was told such preparation were only good for mild stings. After that I wore 'tights' and a 'T' sheet when sea bathing, which wasn't very often as I am not really a 'beach person'.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, simon43 said:

I posted last February about my encounter and getting stung by a box jellyfish in Koh Phangan (Chaloklam), and how I consider myself lucky to be alive!

A restaurant owner saved you?   You made it to the restaurant from the water after being stung?

• Confused 1

Got stung by a jelly fish in Hua Hin.  I didn't see it, so have no idea what type it was but it also felt like an electric shock and I collapsed in the sea, as I was waist high. It hurt like hell for 24 hours and was then septic oozing pus for 3 months, eventually leaving a scar behind. I don't know if it was a box jelly or not but it might have been, even though I didn't pass out or feel it was life threatening.

Previous jelly fish stings just felt like an irritation in the sea that got worse over a few hours but very low intensity compared to the one in Hua Hin.  After the sting a lot of people told me about others who had been stung badly in Hua Hin. One guy's little girl got such a bad scar on her stomach she wouldn't wear a bikini when she grew up.  Another girl ended up with a scar on her face.

Anyway Thai waters are infested with various species of jelly fish, as well as sea lice, some of which are extremely dangerous. Better to use the swimming pool.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Edina said:

If I could only read this topic without advertising constantly blocking portions of the screen !!

get off mobile. I gave up reading the site on my phone  or tablet for this same reason,

The bonus is it means I'm on the site far less 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Dogmatix said:

Got stung by a jelly fish in Hua Hin.  I didn't see it, so have no idea what type it was but it also felt like an electric shock and I collapsed in the sea, as I was waist high. It hurt like hell for 24 hours and was then septic oozing pus for 3 months, eventually leaving a scar behind. I don't know if it was a box jelly or not but it might have been, even though I didn't pass out or feel it was life threatening.

Previous jelly fish stings just felt like an irritation in the sea that got worse over a few hours but very low intensity compared to the one in Hua Hin.  After the sting a lot of people told me about others who had been stung badly in Hua Hin. One guy's little girl got such a bad scar on her stomach she wouldn't wear a bikini when she grew up.  Another girl ended up with a scar on her face.

Anyway Thai waters are infested with various species of jelly fish, as well as sea lice, some of which are extremely dangerous. Better to use the swimming pool.

That level of severity in all those cases point very much to box jellyfish, scarring too. Sea lice , often experienced in Andaman are actually jellyfish larvae,for most just a minor irritation but like my wife has an overreaction. Not dangerous but very uncomfortable for them. Box are altogether different and potentially life threatening. Not experienced them on Andaman side. Am a keen snorkeller so pool is very limiting and boring 

• Like 1

"Attacked by jellyfish" implies they are a sentient species.  Electrifying implies the flow of current, whereas the woman swam into venomous tentacles.

IMO journalism gets very sloppy in the use of English.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

An Aussie woman declared she is thankful to be alive after a bolt of “electricity had shot through her body” following a horrifying attack by some box Jellyfish near Koh Pha Ngan.

The 23 year old woman from Queensland in Australia was left hospitalised for over a month after the attack and issued a cautionary message to fellow holidaymakers about the dangers of swimming in Thailand.

Zoe Cahill, on her first solo trip to Southeast Asia, had been teaching yoga and exploring Bali and Thailand. Despite several months of swimming around Ko Pha Ngan without any issues, her peaceful routine took a drastic turn in October while swimming near the shore of Zen Beach.

“I thought I saw what looked like little bits of plastic in the ocean, and within seconds this jellyfish stung me. It literally felt like electricity had shot through my body.”

Despite her injuries, she managed to make it back to the shore, driven by adrenaline, though her memory of the incident remains patchy.

Fifty meters from the shore, her body suddenly felt like it was vibrating. With a rush of adrenaline, Cahill made it back to the shore before collapsing and turning blue. Fortunately, a group of about 15 people rushed to her aid, dousing her with bottles of vinegar while a nurse performed CPR. Cahill credits the quick application of vinegar with preventing further deterioration.

by Bob Scott

Picture courtesy of 9news.

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-01-22

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

This happened a month ago.... it doesntseem the public wre I formed.

Many consider these jellies are only around in the wet. This would seem to indicate that is incorrect.

They also mention the possibility of Irakandji which is a totally different animal being the size of your thumb

An Indonesian Ex had large scars on her abdomen, seemingly from a box jelly after swimming with a friend off Kalimantan, previously Borneo.

Sadly, her friend never recovered.

Nevertheless, personally, though an avid ocean swimmer, I ignore this improbable potential danger in Thailand and focus more on the roads.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, retarius said:

I don't care for the tats much, they need coloring in. But she had a lucky escape.....sometimes friends are not what they seem. 

You missed out the letter ‘d’ from your pen name 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

38 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

An Indonesian Ex had large scars on her abdomen, seemingly from a box jelly after swimming with a friend off Kalimantan, previously Borneo.

Sadly, her friend never recovered.

Nevertheless, personally, though an avid ocean swimmer, I ignore this improbable potential danger in Thailand and focus more on the roads.

I swim in a condo pool, no beasties to worry about there.

I have thought if the Russians are looking for new markets for their crappy military equipment, I am open to buying a tank for use on Thai roads. Although it might have problems fitting through the ubiquitous checkpoints.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

“Attacked by jellyfish" implies they are a sentient species.  Electrifying implies the flow of current, whereas the woman swam into venomous tentacles.

IMO journalism gets very sloppy in the use of English.

You have a curiously narrow definition of “‘attacked”, but the big problem with your definition is how do we know if a creature is sentient? I think we can all agree that the soi dog that just bit you is sentient, but what about the ant that stung you?

Back on topic, from a quick browse of the net, it seems that jellyfish have a nerve net rather than a brain, but unlike other jellyfish, box jellyfish have surprisingly complex eyes that may be capable of forming an image, and can also exhibit complex behaviours.

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

Some readers here needs to get a life giving  a "confused and sad" emojis to a light hearted posts...

(not only for this topic, but in general too, them sour pus unhappy people)...

it's not just that. generally the things you say are just not that funny at all.  

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

35 minutes ago, CygnusX1 said:

You have a curiously narrow definition of “‘attacked”, but the big problem with your definition is how do we know if a creature is sentient? I think we can all agree that the soi dog that just bit you is sentient, but what about the ant that stung you?

Back on topic, from a quick browse of the net, it seems that jellyfish have a nerve net rather than a brain, but unlike other jellyfish, box jellyfish have surprisingly complex eyes that may be capable of forming an image, and can also exhibit complex behaviours.

You think a jellyfish swims towards you in order to attack you? Is there any proof of that happening?

The ant is programmed to sting you as a defense, just as a mosquito is programmed to feast on warm-blooded mammals. That does not make them sentient.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You think a jellyfish swims towards you in order to attack you? Is there any proof of that happening?

The ant is programmed to sting you as a defense, just as a mosquito is programmed to feast on warm-blooded mammals. That does not make them sentient.

Probably not, but a search of the internet does show they have surprisingly complex behaviours.

However, you did state ‘“Attacked by jellyfish" implies they are a sentient species.” So if you’re saying above that ants and mosquitoes are not sentient, that implies that I can’t say that I was attacked by an ant. Similarly, a soldier who has been wounded by an AI drone that’s been programmed to recognise and engage humans, can’t say he was attacked by the drone, as current AI is certainly not sentient. Again, you’re severely restricting the use of the word “attacked”, and being a bit hard on the journo.

In any event, can you prove that ants aren’t sentient? Where do you draw the line on animals with increasingly more complex brains? It’s a question that continues to baffle scientists and philosophers.

2 minutes ago, CygnusX1 said:

Probably not, but a search of the internet does show they have surprisingly complex behaviours.

However, you did state ‘“Attacked by jellyfish" implies they are a sentient species.” So if you’re saying above that ants and mosquitoes are not sentient, that implies that I can’t say that I was attacked by an ant. Similarly, a soldier who has been wounded by an AI drone that’s been programmed to recognise and engage humans, can’t say he was attacked by the drone, as current AI is certainly not sentient. Again, you’re severely restricting the use of the word “attacked”, and being a bit hard on the journo.

In any event, can you prove that ants aren’t sentient? Where do you draw the line on animals with increasingly more complex brains? It’s a question that continues to baffle scientists and philosophers.

You may be right. A soldier, however, can say he was attacked by the person who programmed the drone to attack him.

IMO your statement is a paradox. If current AI is not sentient, by definition it is not AI. AI implies sentience.