Aussie woman zaps back to life after electrifying encounter with deadly jellyfish near Koh Pha Ngan

webfact

image.jpeg

An Aussie woman declared she is thankful to be alive after a bolt of “electricity had shot through her body” following a horrifying attack by some box Jellyfish near Koh Pha Ngan.

The 23 year old woman from Queensland in Australia was left hospitalised for over a month after the attack and issued a cautionary message to fellow holidaymakers about the dangers of swimming in Thailand.

Zoe Cahill, on her first solo trip to Southeast Asia, had been teaching yoga and exploring Bali and Thailand. Despite several months of swimming around Ko Pha Ngan without any issues, her peaceful routine took a drastic turn in October while swimming near the shore of Zen Beach.

“I thought I saw what looked like little bits of plastic in the ocean, and within seconds this jellyfish stung me. It literally felt like electricity had shot through my body.”

Despite her injuries, she managed to make it back to the shore, driven by adrenaline, though her memory of the incident remains patchy.

Fifty meters from the shore, her body suddenly felt like it was vibrating. With a rush of adrenaline, Cahill made it back to the shore before collapsing and turning blue. Fortunately, a group of about 15 people rushed to her aid, dousing her with bottles of vinegar while a nurse performed CPR. Cahill credits the quick application of vinegar with preventing further deterioration.

by Bob Scott

Picture courtesy of 9news.

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-01-22

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, wombat said:

They breed them aussie Sheila's real tough

i met a shela in Malibu who lived in a tree house across from Topanga beach.   strong as an ox. she surfed as well.  those where the days

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, simon43 said:

When I was stung by a box jellyfish in Koh Phangan, I was writhing on the floor of a beach restaurant while the owner poured and rubbed bottle after bottle of vinegar all over my body (I wasn't sure where I was stung because I had my back to the damn thing!). She probably savede my life...

I surely hope you left a tip ... 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, retarius said:

I don't care for the tats much, they need coloring in. But she had a lucky escape.....sometimes friends are not what they seem. 

I have seen some real Tats like that, looks like a lightening strike or early stages of becoming a zombie..

She got hers for free, shame they forgot Tazzy..

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

I have seen some real Tats like that, looks like a lightening strike or early stages of becoming a zombie..

She got hers for free, shame they forgot Tazzy..

Voldermort's been at it again.

• Haha 1

Not sure if retarius was serious about tattoos. Those are the marks made by the jellyfish tentacles. For more information, see -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box_jellyfish

https://boxjellyfish.org/box-jellyfish-habitat/

In Australia, people swim in netted enclosures & very rarely wear body stockings for rerceational swimming. As far as only spawning in Australia, no. There are different species that are found in other parts of the world. The Wikipedia article says in part . . .

At least 51 species of box jellyfish were known as of 2018.

Then further on . . .

Recently, in 2023, a new genus and species of box jellyfish was discovered in the Indo-Pacific region, specifically the Gulf of Thailand. 

So that makes it at least 52 species.

And by the way, the Gulf Stream is in the Atlantic not the Pacific or Indian Oceans.

image.png.67df52f146f49546be93ef132d1774ba.png

But you are right, the sting is painful. They are considered the most the most venemous sea creature, with more than 170 toxins identified in their venom.

• Like 2

I used to wonder why box jellyfish were only found in Australian tropical waters, but it turns out that they’re in heaps of places, it’s just that they only seem to receive publicity in Australia. I think they’re seasonal in Australia?, much greater risk swimming in the summer months, not sure if that applies to Thailand. 

Jomtien beach now has warning signs in 4 languages. I do lots of swimming there, and nearly always receive tiny stings from jellyfish that don’t leave a mark. Box jellyfish worry me far more than the allegedly polluted water, and when I’m here in the summer months I use the condo pool instead. No idea if the Gulf of Thailand’s safer than the Andaman Sea.

Curiosity of the Thai language - the casual word for vinegar is the same as the one for orange juice.

I use a full-body suit for swimming and snorkeling. It stinks from the sea-water after use and takes ages to dry, but it also protects against sunburns should I wish to stay in the water for long.

• Like 1