What are you cooking today?

10 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

oops ... Makro

Wish I could find decent onion rings.  All seem to be the 'formed' same size, and not much actually onion ring or flavor to them.  Usually too lazy to make them.  Occasionally find good ones at vendor, but rare.

Yea I make my own  Onion rings also, but only if I am frying something else . I use tempura batter. 

Not too bad. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I am going to look for those shrimp doughnuts next time I am at Makro.   

Eating a late lunch right now, 

A semi Macto affair also.

Spinach Pie . 

sp123.jpg.e22abd0f922348ee290403e36f774f19.jpg

Soo good I brought out the good paper plates :laugh:

The filling is  Chopped up leeks and an onion sautéed. Dill . salt and pepper. and   frozen spinach from Macro, (defrosted of course,)  chopped up , and the water squeezed out. cooked with the leeks onions and dill until soft, then mix one scrambled egg/

The pastry dough from Macro, those big (Looked to be 16"x 12") sheets 

Sorry . I made a tray but I ate most of it before I took a picture. :laugh:

And wife fried dumplings, also from Makro.

If it wasn't for Macro I would starve, LOL 

The recipe call for Oil, apply heat drop in oil until crispy , wait utili they cool 

(This last part optional)  , and eat. 

domp.jpg.8178bf1ba3a58dd9a823b05c9f60a5ce.jpg

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, marin said:

Did up some ribs yesterday.

Now you are showing off !! LOL

Not as difficult to make as my store bought dumplings  (Dude I got a Paper opening the box😢)

But a good effort. :clap2:

Meatballs.

Breadcrumbs soked in coconut milk, Worcestershire sauce,Chinese pepper sauce,(only crusto breadcrumbs) for 15 min.

Add two eggs,diced onions, garlic, your meat choice.

Roll your balls or patties. 12 min 230°C in your air fryer.

Just now, PoorSucker said:

Meatballs.

Breadcrumbs soked in coconut milk, Worcestershire sauce,Chinese pepper sauce,(only crusto breadcrumbs) for 15 min.

Add two eggs,diced onions, garlic, your meat choice.

Roll your balls or patties. 12 min 230°C in your air fryer.

I usually make one kilo, Freeze them in. Next week I have meatballs. Frozen meatballs in air fryer for five minutes gives a crispy layer. 

Add some schicuen pepper or Chill to to ground recipe for Spicy.

Roll your balls same size as yours, adding some water on your hands helps.

40 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

Go wholesale in Pattaya tai is so much better than Makro 

Makro is the only option where we live.  There's a Lotus's, but one of, if not the worst in TH.  Not much of a step up from 7-11 and we only go there for Swensen's.   More than a few fresh markets and decent weekend night market surfside.

We didn't even build a house here, on land we had for about 5 years until they built a Makro here.  Luckily they completed it, just as we were leaving Udon Thani after 17 ish years, in search of a new location.

Gourmet Market @ Bluport Mall @ Hua Hin is about 1 hr away, though TBH, when we pop in, we don't leave with much, if anything.   The Makro @ Pranburi is much better also, for western food, if that's your thing.   I really can't be bothered with store bought western fare.   Though do plan on stocking up on some deli/cold cuts next time at GM.  I could go for a pastrami & provolone sandwich.   One of the few things, deli meats, I miss from Philly, PA, USA area.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

I usually make one kilo, Freeze them in. Next week I have meatballs. Frozen meatballs in air fryer for five minutes gives a crispy layer. 

Add some schicuen pepper or Chill to to ground recipe for Spicy.

Roll your balls same size as yours, adding some water on your hands helps.

I like a little grated Parmesan in mine. 

• Love It 1

21 hours ago, sirineou said:
21 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Not exactly homemade, just home cooked.   I like shrimp cakes/donuts, but hit & miss at vendors.   These had decent flavor, and 10 pieces so about half price what most vendors would charge.   May want to sample, cheap enough.

image.png.a347e2195b8500d65b3cdad291936aa6.png

Optical illusion, realistic size, the one in the back :coffee1:

image.png.b82182874dc353689fe36be2b6c326f5.png

Expand  

That's interesting . I never heard of them before . Sounds like they would be good .

They look lie far onion rings. Where did you get them? 

You can buy shrimp donuts @ KFC. They are probably the best thing that KFC sell!

• Thanks 1

WHAT I will eat today,

Delicious Moo Hong

Moo Hong is a traditional Phuket delicacy, tracing its roots to Hokkien immigrants from Fujian, China. This southern Thai dish combines the warmth of black pepper with rich ingredients like coconut sugar and fatty pork, offering a harmonious blend of sweetness, richness, and spice.

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, Mutt Daeng said:

You can buy shrimp donuts @ KFC. They are probably the best thing that KFC sell!

THANKS, have to give them a test, as part of the 'rest stop' after driving a few hours.   Addicted to Wings Zap when O&A.  I could live off some PTT Park stations: KFC, 7-11, food court, 5 Star chicken, aside from the rest and charging the car  Same even have Black Canyons if want to sit and have a cheap steak dinner :cheesy:

Try to avoid all of them when at the home front, as knowing I'll get my share of, when out on the road.   Early days here 7-11 used to have shrimp burgers, not sure if shrimp, but was a decent fish sandwich, although think they changed vendors as not the same as days past.

• Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Fish and chips.

I love them.

went online the other day find some cod. It was crazy expensive 800-1200 baht a kilo

When did cod get that expensive?

What are you using?  

19 hours ago, Negita43 said:

Tomato Chutney and pressure cooking my beef ready for:

Chinese beef curry and a few beef and onion pies.

IMG20240225181426[1].jpg

I recently discovered the pleasure of pressure cooking stew beef.  (Better  late than ever :laugh:

Before that I used to slow cook it for 3 hours. Pressure cooker where have you been all my life? LOL

Australian beef cubed, in the pressure cooker for 45 minutes and it melts in your mouth. you can cut it with a spoon. Love a good indian curry. Got to make some one of these days. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Sticking with quick & easy, hot weather, use up leftovers in frig.  Last of the meatballs, so made a quick sauce, using this can of tomatoes.   Like this brand, as can use the whole can, without need to add paste.  Thick enough by itself.   The cheaper 'whole tomatoes' in a can, I tended to just drink the juice, as too thin, but enough juice in the tomatoes themselves, since whole, with paste added to make a sauce.  

Usually just make my own, with leftover tomatoes and add paste to it.  Though doctoring up a can of is too easy when out of tomatoes.

Wife makes decent meatballs, too many, as used for Swedish meatballs with spinach cream sauce last week.   Guess I'll be making a pizza later this week, with leftover tomato sauce & meatballs.  Having some Mozzarella & Parmesan to use up also.

Still more leftovers to go, as some Japanese Curry still in frig, and more tater salad, the latter I've been eating past couple days :coffee1:  May even go to a restaurant if we clear out the frig after this week.

image.png.ee21f8ef32ab38247f925e3c59720d48.png

Lite dinner, and may hit the tater tots & shrimp donuts later while watching TV.  Got a feeling I'll need a snack later on.  Lazy week, hot & sunny outside, draining my energy.  Too many months till rainy raisons.

Quick afternoon snack, dough was already in the frig for a few days, sauce leftover from meatballs, and always some Parmesan & Mozzarella on hand

image.png.d6847114c954f06334e2dc0320eb9c69.png

• Love It 1

11 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Quick afternoon snack, dough was already in the frig for a few days, sauce leftover from meatballs, and always some Parmesan & Mozzarella on hand

image.png.d6847114c954f06334e2dc0320eb9c69.png

Browned nicely!! did you use a cast iron skillet? 

7 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Browned nicely!! did you use a cast iron skillet? 

Yes, my large flat (no sides) griddle.  Crisp up bottom on gas hob, then under the broiler (top element) in the oven.  Gives nice results, easier to control.

• Love It 1

I am thinking about making sausages again here in Thailand.

Does anybody know where I can order online, seasonings and sausage skins?

I used to order that stuff from a company in the UK called Weschenfelder and get a mate to hand carry it. I sent them an email last month asking if they could post stuff and they don't send offshore now, as the cost of shipping it is 4 or 5 times the price of the items.

I used to get the skins from Makro, but they came in a 1kg frozen lump of various lengths and all tangled together.

9 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I am thinking about making sausages again here in Thailand.

I used to order that stuff from a company in the UK called Weschenfelder and get a mate to hand carry it. I sent them an email last month asking if they could post stuff and they don't send offshore now, as the cost of shipping it is 4 or 5 times the price of the items.

I used to get the skins from Makro, but they came in a 1kg frozen lump of various lengths and all tangled together.

Makro sells the casings, though I can't be bothered, and just make patties.  Makro also sells larger packs/bags of seasoning, vs those little overpriced jars.

2 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Lazada certainly

I had gotten them at Makro and might still have some frozen in my reiterator, 

I have the sausage attachments for my kitchenaid stand mixer meat grinder kit but i find that  the one in the picture below to be a lot better .

sausagetool.thumb.jpg.58a1c8612b602415a8dfbcf525b9a01f.jpg

I haven't made them for a while. I should make some italian sausages so I can make baked sausages , peppers and onions. 

Let us know how it works out 

I have spent the last hour digging around the internet, not Lazada, and there are 3 companies in Bangkok, one that does casings here 

http://www.botthailand.com/casing/natural-casing.html

also here 

https://www.desertcart.co.th/brand/sausage%20maker

and they sell sausage casings and sausage sausage stuffers here 

and the other company does a lot of different seasonings.

https://www.ubuy.co.th/en/productuk/3VMO5XYYW-premium-pork-sausage-mix

I had to do a fair bit of back and forward work searching for odd bits.

I have a George Foreman meat grinder that I bought in NZ years ago with a sausage stuffer attachment and I used to have/still have/but I have NO idea where it is now, separate sausage stuffer that I used a few years ago. I can't even remember if it was a vertical or a horizontal stuffer, push down or crank handle. 

The problem that I found in making sausages is unless you are making them commercially or you really really like sausages, is that after the first 5 kg or so that you eat you get bored with them. It is also a lot of work for a small quantity.        

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Yes, my large flat (no sides) griddle.  Crisp up bottom on gas hob, then under the broiler (top element) in the oven.  Gives nice results, easier to control.

Do you need to put anything on the underside of the dough or on the griddle to stop the dough sticking? Or does it come away naturally once the dough is sufficiently cooked?

19 minutes ago, Keeps said:

Do you need to put anything on the underside of the dough or on the griddle to stop the dough sticking? Or does it come away naturally once the dough is sufficiently cooked?

I rub a little corn meal on the bottom.

• Thumbs Up 1