Non-Buddhist households: What about monks' alms, spirit houses?

henrik2000

Hello, if you are a a non-Buddhism-practicing household in small town Thailand (Thai household members also not practicing Buddhism), how do you deal with

- alms for monks

- spirit house?

Do you just don't do these things? Or do you follow the custom partly anyway; if yes, why? What are your thoughts around this?

-- Irrelevant background: --

I bicycled a lot through rural and small town Thailand as a tourist, often at 6 a.m. already, seeing the monks' alms rounds, and I dreamed a lot about moving there, and these questions came up, silly as they may sound. Thanks for your real life experience! So sorry if question annoying.

Edited by henrik2000
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Morch said:

Similarly, only go to the village temple for elections, other religious business (when needed) conducted elsewhere.

Like your funeral?  Ha ha

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, henrik2000 said:

Thanks, interesting observations. As an outsider, I had thought it might be different.

Maybe it is in other places. It's a big country, many different communities.

I'm sure other members may have different experiences, takes.

Denim and JTS, thanks for more insights!

1 hour ago, jts-khorat said:

it is just three steps to the road to hand the monks some packages of milk or other daily necessity...

When you do so, do you show the highly respectful behaviour shown by Thai people? Do you take care to keep your head below the monk's head? Or do you hand them the things like you would hand them to any other guy?

18 hours ago, henrik2000 said:

Denim and JTS, thanks for more insights!

When you do so, do you show the highly respectful behaviour shown by Thai people? Do you take care to keep your head below the monk's head? Or do you hand them the things like you would hand them to any other guy?

Let your wife deal with it, 

You just smile polity. 

Don't overthink it , As long as you are respectful, Thais know its not your culture and that you mean well.

They appreciate the effort you make. 

Be nice and Thai people will be nice to you. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Monks don't ask for food.  They walk and accept for offered by laity.
Spirit Houses are not Buddhism but Animism.

So, if you are not a Buddhist or an Animist?  Up to you.

20 hours ago, Denim said:

Monks only stop at homes where someone is waiting outside to make merit and give alms. No force or persuasion or stigma if you don't  bother. In our rural soi there are more that don't bother than do. Up to you.

Spirit houses have nothing to do with Buddhism  are also totally optional. My wife won't have a little spirit house even as a garden ornament as if not maintained the spirits can get nasty  and turn malevolent.  Best not to bother is her opinion.

If you want to live in a rural village speaking Thai will make the experience a lot more rewarding and you will get to know some nice people. 

However, the vast majority of Thai Buddhists whom I have met are essentially Buddhist Animists.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, connda said:

However, the vast majority of Thai Buddhists whom I have met are essentially Buddhist Animists.

They like to hedge their bets it's true. As for the Zebras ??? They remain a mystery to me and most Thai.

22 hours ago, henrik2000 said:

Hello, if you are a a non-Buddhism-practicing household in small town Thailand (Thai household members also not practicing Buddhism), how do you deal with

- alms for monks

- spirit house?

Do you just don't do these things? Or do you follow the custom partly anyway; if yes, why? What are your thoughts around this?

-- Irrelevant background: --

I bicycled a lot through rural and small town Thailand as a tourist, often at 6 a.m. already, seeing the monks' alms rounds, and I dreamed a lot about moving there, and these questions came up, silly as they may sound. Thanks for your real life experience! So sorry if question annoying.

I just follow the local traditions and what my lovely girlfriend decide to give of alms for the monks; it's her money. I also attend service in a temple – when needed – and politely try to follow the custom.

I was mainly the one that insisted on a pair of spirit houses next to my house. Both because it's custom, but also because I like them – I chose a pair of wood houses from Chiang Mai – and just in case, if there are spirits living on the land or from any ancestors, I might also be prevented from being haunted by angry poltergeists inside my own house.

Just got my ghost's houses replaced – I hope the ether beings will be happy now – as the former set was worn out after almost 14 years heavy use, helped by the local weather gods...

IMG20240117175622_Spirit-houses_h816_w600.jpg.5ce043da6a688443816c84789bdcbbc1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hi all, thanks for more very interesting insight!

18 hours ago, sirineou said:

You just smile polity. 

Don't overthink it , As long as you are respectful, Thais know its not your culture and that you mean well.

They appreciate the effort you make. 

Be nice and Thai people will be nice to you.

Yes, this has been my impression too. Personally I would add: Be clean-cut, except you're doing farm work.

16 hours ago, khunPer said:

I chose a pair of wood houses from Chiang Mai

Oh, they look really Lanna!

I see, one of them has a ladder, one has none. In the ghost houses I see on the rice fields, they always have a letter. Are they for spirits that can't fly?

2 hours ago, khunPer said:

There are 8 further ghosts/spirits besides the ones for garden and house and fields

Thanks, you cleared up some questions that baffled me. I've seen discarded spirit houses also in backyards of wats, always around a tree. I wonder if there are ceremonies to put up or unemploy a spirit house.

You explain also why the spirit houses i see in the fields always have a ladder.

19 hours ago, henrik2000 said:

Thanks, you cleared up some questions that baffled me. I've seen discarded spirit houses also in backyards of wats, always around a tree. I wonder if there are ceremonies to put up or unemploy a spirit house.

You explain also why the spirit houses i see in the fields always have a ladder.

Thanks for your comment.

About ceremonies.

When a spirit house is put up there will (normally) not be any ghosts moving in. You need a brahmin or shaman to make the ether-beings aware of their new home(s). There are going to be both be plenty of food and other stuff to make the new place interesting for the ghosts. The Shaman will place the small figurs that symbolic are going to host the invisible inhabitants of the house. The shaman will also shout at the spirits to force them to move into the house and often use noisy fireworks, just like the Chinese use fireworks at Chinese New Year to clean the houses from bad spirits. That kind of beings hate loud noises, also cymbals and drums are effective.

Some of my images from a housewarming party for ghosts...

image.jpeg.b126843c2b7602e82deae9275c507638.jpeg

image.jpeg.32accbbdf843c2b086464270323ba298.jpeg

image.jpeg.babf7750d67f97956fbf7ada72910701.jpeg

image.jpeg.e41c9b375bea385fc349f353ba12a6e3.jpeg

image.jpeg.a9598d45f15d13ee0f3321baee777fcb.jpeg

As with the much in Thailand, the ceremony can vary from area to area, some places Buddhist monks will do the ceremony and persuade the spirits to move in.

Nobody dare to touch an abandoned spirit house remaining in place. It needs to be moved to a forest. There might still be some beings living in the house and – probably not to be haunted by ghosts – abandoned spirit houses in a forest might still have fresh gifts placed in front for a while, like this abandoned home at Ghost Road, where a figure that might be hosting a ghost is still sitting there...

image.jpeg.60a446474b7243ea94f22158facf861f.jpeg

If a ghost has already moved in, you can satisfy it with a shrine. The story here is about a spirit that lived in a sacred palm – a very high straight palm, unlike the often bended coconut palms. A foreigner bought the land a wanted to build a house, but was told that he could not cut down that sacred palm in the middle – no workers dared to do it – so he had his coming luxury house designed with the sacred palm standing in the middle, actually in a part of the living room, which made the house look quite outstanding.

However, the coming house owner didn't show up for a ceremony to ask the spirits of the land's for permission to build the new house. That means bad luck – the house will never be a lucky home. A lightning hit the sacred palm-tree so it died during the building process; not to forget to say that the workers got really scared. Now the house was reconstructed so there would be roof over the area where the sacred palm once was.

A old lady living nearby had a dream – or enlightment – where a ghost came to her and told her that it's home had burned by lightning and the new house owner didn't give the spirit new home – i.e., placed a spirit house on the land plot, where you some times will place a temporary home for the spirits of the land during house construction – so now the spirit has moved in a big three on a nearby land plot, neighbouring the old lady.

The old lady had a shrine placed for the new inhabitant in the tree...

image.jpeg.3a1ab266f95ccafc6d2d548f4d997454.jpeg

The foreigner that build the new house never placed any homes for ghosts and (therefore) had many problems – the roof was leaking and resultet in heavy water damages – and finally he had to sell it, as it became too expensive to keep, some of the money also came from a mortgage. A new foreign owner also got lots of serious problems – and also more water damages plus the costs of a new roof on top of the old one – and finally gave up to stay in the house, which is abandoned at the moment. It has been up for sale – however, the sign seems to disappear a couple of times, without the house being sold – so if you are interested in spending $2.5 million in a haunted home, you might have a bargain right here.

Therefore, in Thailand it's (very) important always to ask permission from the ether beings and in general have a good relationship with them. If you build a house, have the monks or an astrologer to give you the right starting time and point the lucky post, which is the first one to be raised. And don't forget to place a small piece of gold under it. And don't forget gifts to the spirits and attend the ceremony yourself as coming house owner – even that you don't believe in ghost, your workers and neighbours do – you never know what is the truth.

The photo is the erection of the lucky post when I build my house in 2009 – and yes, i have had no problems (so far)...

image.jpeg.04db83043fda301e5c0bc8dd4eb25bf7.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

as far as your standing in the communities, maybe the village gossiped if you don't offer the monks alms.. but it's in private

I find that turning up to the big temple festival once in a while is good to satisfy the aunties of the village and they'll mention that they saw you at the temple for years, 

neighbor's funerals and such is attended as needed of course

On 1/26/2024 at 2:35 PM, khunPer said:

Thanks for your comment.

About ceremonies.

When a spirit house is put up there will (normally) not be any ghosts moving in. You need a brahmin or shaman to make the ether-beings aware of their new home(s). There are going to be both be plenty of food and other stuff to make the new place interesting for the ghosts. The Shaman will place the small figurs that symbolic are going to host the invisible inhabitants of the house. The shaman will also shout at the spirits to force them to move into the house and often use noisy fireworks, just like the Chinese use fireworks at Chinese New Year to clean the houses from bad spirits. That kind of beings hate loud noises, also cymbals and drums are effective.

Some of my images from a housewarming party for ghosts...

image.jpeg.b126843c2b7602e82deae9275c507638.jpeg

image.jpeg.32accbbdf843c2b086464270323ba298.jpeg

image.jpeg.babf7750d67f97956fbf7ada72910701.jpeg

image.jpeg.e41c9b375bea385fc349f353ba12a6e3.jpeg

image.jpeg.a9598d45f15d13ee0f3321baee777fcb.jpeg

As with the much in Thailand, the ceremony can vary from area to area, some places Buddhist monks will do the ceremony and persuade the spirits to move in.

Nobody dare to touch an abandoned spirit house remaining in place. It needs to be moved to a forest. There might still be some beings living in the house and – probably not to be haunted by ghosts – abandoned spirit houses in a forest might still have fresh gifts placed in front for a while, like this abandoned home at Ghost Road, where a figure that might be hosting a ghost is still sitting there...

image.jpeg.60a446474b7243ea94f22158facf861f.jpeg

If a ghost has already moved in, you can satisfy it with a shrine. The story here is about a spirit that lived in a sacred palm – a very high straight palm, unlike the often bended coconut palms. A foreigner bought the land a wanted to build a house, but was told that he could not cut down that sacred palm in the middle – no workers dared to do it – so he had his coming luxury house designed with the sacred palm standing in the middle, actually in a part of the living room, which made the house look quite outstanding.

However, the coming house owner didn't show up for a ceremony to ask the spirits of the land's for permission to build the new house. That means bad luck – the house will never be a lucky home. A lightning hit the sacred palm-tree so it died during the building process; not to forget to say that the workers got really scared. Now the house was reconstructed so there would be roof over the area where the sacred palm once was.

A old lady living nearby had a dream – or enlightment – where a ghost came to her and told her that it's home had burned by lightning and the new house owner didn't give the spirit new home – i.e., placed a spirit house on the land plot, where you some times will place a temporary home for the spirits of the land during house construction – so now the spirit has moved in a big three on a nearby land plot, neighbouring the old lady.

The old lady had a shrine placed for the new inhabitant in the tree...

image.jpeg.3a1ab266f95ccafc6d2d548f4d997454.jpeg

The foreigner that build the new house never placed any homes for ghosts and (therefore) had many problems – the roof was leaking and resultet in heavy water damages – and finally he had to sell it, as it became too expensive to keep, some of the money also came from a mortgage. A new foreign owner also got lots of serious problems – and also more water damages plus the costs of a new roof on top of the old one – and finally gave up to stay in the house, which is abandoned at the moment. It has been up for sale – however, the sign seems to disappear a couple of times, without the house being sold – so if you are interested in spending $2.5 million in a haunted home, you might have a bargain right here.

Therefore, in Thailand it's (very) important always to ask permission from the ether beings and in general have a good relationship with them. If you build a house, have the monks or an astrologer to give you the right starting time and point the lucky post, which is the first one to be raised. And don't forget to place a small piece of gold under it. And don't forget gifts to the spirits and attend the ceremony yourself as coming house owner – even that you don't believe in ghost, your workers and neighbours do – you never know what is the truth.

The photo is the erection of the lucky post when I build my house in 2009 – and yes, i have had no problems (so far)...

image.jpeg.04db83043fda301e5c0bc8dd4eb25bf7.jpeg

Excellent posts, needs to be pinned in the right place for reference 

• Thanks 1