Immigration System Malfunction Causes Passenger Backlog

snoop1130

Biometric system glitch at Suvarnabhumi Airport causes passenger delays
by Nattapong Westwood

image.jpeg
Photo courtesy of Matichon

Suvarnabhumi International Airport faced significant disruptions early this morning when its biometric immigration system malfunctioned, causing delays and a rapid build-up of passengers. Immigration police swiftly implemented contingency measures to mitigate the impact on flight schedules.

In the predawn hours of yesterday, Suvarnabhumi Airport’s immigration department was thrown into chaos as the biometric system encountered technical issues around 4.30am. Chaired by Chaiyapruek Rimphadee, the Immigration Division 2 leader and spokesperson for the Immigration Bureau, a swift response was initiated to address the malfunctioning system.

image.jpeg

Photo courtesy of Matichon

Normally, the processing time from presenting a passport to receiving a stamped clearance by immigration officers at Suvarnabhumi Airport takes no more than 45 seconds per individual. However, due to the system failure, the time required per passenger exceeded one minute. The breakdown also affected the automatic passport control channels, which were unable to function, resulting in extended queues that stretched back to the baggage screening areas, reported KhaoSod.

As passengers bound for international flights quickly accumulated, the queues extended significantly from the usual immigration counters starting from 4.30am. The Immigration Division 2 communicated with the Immigration Checkpoint Technology Center, which oversees the biometric technology, urging an urgent resolution.

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-01-25

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Sad 2
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

This, in turn, extended the time required for the processing of passport checks from the usual 45 seconds per person to over 1 minute.

So the system crashed and delayed passengers by only 15 seconds for a manual service?

• Haha 1

Two years in a row I arrived at LAX and a computer malfunction meant I wait in line for two hours. The first time, the IO asked how long I'd been waiting and I said two hours and  I wasn't coming back, and he said 'I hear you'. I did come back though, and the next time I told the IO I'd missed my connecting flight and he told me it didn't matter. And I didn't go back. Especially after an x-ray machine thought silver paper on some mints was a security threat. If their security couldn't tell the difference between paper and explosives ...... 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Based on the two photos in the OP, it looks like this glitch affected both Departing Immigration and Arriving Immigration.

Another black-eye for Thailand's aspirations to hit 40 million this year.

A country who has over 28 millions tourists visiting, not counting locals, has only one system in place,

and when this is down, well, bad luck, a place to start from for the new AOT boss... 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Hockeybik said:

In fairness the Thai banks, green and blue, have their stuff together. Apps and online work pretty darn well. Government, well... I agree with you there.

BBL still uses DOS for all of their in house banking. 

2 hours ago, madmitch said:

These blips can happen anywhere. Totally agree Thai systems are often very poor but this type of incident isn't unique to Thailand. 

Are crazy? Do toy want to start a riot? 

Where do you get off talking sense in this forum? 

Consider yourself reported !!:angry:

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

I usually have good luck in Thailand, and the staff work pretty hard.

Handling a bunch of crotchity old grumps, like some of you posters,

would drive me to drink. I had worse luck in Vancouver, BC Canada.

Long wait and bad attitudes plus freezing temperatures.

We all need the airports to get to our chosen tropical 

destinations.

• Sad 1