Young Foreign Man Found Hanged At Koh Samui

webfact

19 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

No.

Stand on stool, setup the noose, secure hands behind back, then kickpush the stool away. Standard. 

You sound an expert on this subject.

How many times have you done this please?

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

The police will notify the embassy and depending on their policy, an autosy will normally be required, often done at the Police General Hospital, Bangkok.

If no next of kin in Thailand, then embassy will have to find and notify. 

Death certificate, can only be registered after autopsy, body identified, embassy letter, plus hospital and police letter to amphur office.

More in depth investigation, may only occur if there is some history of problems, or pushed for by the embassy.

The Death Certificate certifies Life Exctinct which can be issued at the scene by an attending Registered Medical Practitioner, or when the body arrives at the hospital befoe being placed in the Mortuary.

Official identifications are normally carried out at the hospital Mortuary prior to an Autopsy being perfomed as certain religious protocols need to be followed in the case of a foreigner.

The Cause of Death document is issued by the appointed Coroner following the Pathologists Report. This report can take time as already stated for Toxicology results to be finalised.

17 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

They often do it, so that they cannot change their mind. If they do it without bind their hands together behind their back before kicking the stool away, the natural instinct is of course to struggle to pull themselves up etc.

Cable ties.

One around each wrist. then hands behind the back and slip another one through both and pull. It would probably take about 3 seconds for anybody to do it. 

Please demonstrate this 3-second procedure to us al here at AN!

• Confused 2

8 minutes ago, stargrazer9889 said:

Considering there are lots of Russians visiting Thailand,plus Russia being at war with Ukraine,

i am more inclined to think this could be a murder scene. 

Just mybopinion of course.

Posted yesterday; you're suggesting a clandestine meeting arranged in the durian orchard?

confirmed cctv shows him alone, taking a taxi to the foothills of Tha Sok mountain heading to the plantation.

2 hours ago, tandor said:

The Death Certificate certifies Life Exctinct which can be issued at the scene by an attending Registered Medical Practitioner, or when the body arrives at the hospital befoe being placed in the Mortuary.

Official identifications are normally carried out at the hospital Mortuary prior to an Autopsy being perfomed as certain religious protocols need to be followed in the case of a foreigner.

The Cause of Death document is issued by the appointed Coroner following the Pathologists Report. This report can take time as already stated for Toxicology results to be finalized.

Sorry have never seen it work like that in Thailand. I have helped a few friends through the death of others, and the last once just over a month ago. All the deaths were UK nationals.

At the scene, the police asked a medical practitioner if life is extinct, but that is not a death certificate.

The body is transported to hospital and the police will contact the embassy.

The need for an autopsy will be determined between police, hospital and embassy. In Chonburi almost all autopsies are done at the Police General Hospital, Bangkok.

The hospital will issue a letter of suspected cause of death. It is very rare in Thailand that a coroner (or Thai equivalent) is involved, unless very high profile case.

This letter is presented to the police for their investigation, and they will issue a letter to the local amphur for the register the death.

A death certificate to register the death in Thailand is only issued by the amphur office. This is the only recognised legal document.

Once the death certificate is issued, the police will, when ready, will issue a letter, to the hospital, to allow the release of the body to the NOK or person authorised by the embassy (UK issues consular letter for this), for cremation or burial .

The sequence is slightly different, depending if autopsy was carried out or not.

After cremation the temple will issue a certificate of cremation, for use with the airlines for repatriation.

4 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

Sorry have never seen it work like that in Thailand. I have helped a few friends through the death of others, and the last once just over a month ago. All the deaths were UK nationals.

At the scene, the police asked a medical practitioner if life is extinct, but that is not a death certificate.

The body is transported to hospital and the police will contact the embassy.

The need for an autopsy will be determined between police, hospital and embassy. In Chonburi almost all autopsies are done at the Police General Hospital, Bangkok.

The hospital will issue a letter of suspected cause of death. It is very rare in Thailand that a coroner (or Thai equivalent) is involved, unless very high profile case.

This letter is presented to the police for their investigation, and they will issue a letter to the local amphur for the register the death.

A death certificate to register the death in Thailand is only issued by the amphur office. This is the only recognised legal document.

Once the death certificate is issued, the police will, when ready, will issue a letter, to the hospital, to allow the release of the body to the NOK or person authorised by the embassy (UK issues consular letter for this), for cremation or burial .

The sequence is slightly different, depending if autopsy was carried out or not.

After cremation the temple will issue a certificate of cremation, for use with the airlines for repatriation.

A pathologist will not touch a cadavar unless a Life Extinct document has been issued and an order to Conduct a Post Mortem.

In the case of a Medical Practitioner examining the deceased they may be satisfied the person died of Natural Causes and is happy to issue a Death Certificate stating his reasons (ie having had recently seen or been treating the deceased for a disease(s). The Police are then requested to contact the family for more supporting evidence ie medications, witnesses etc and are then asked if they now request a Post Mortem be conducted, sometimes at the families expense.

In the case of Sudden Death, the cause of which is not known, then an Autopsy is compulsory to establish the exact cause of death, even though it may appear obvious, together with any other mitigating circumstances, ie inteference, medications etc.

The rest of the process follows suit as you explain.

35 minutes ago, tandor said:

In the case of Sudden Death, the cause of which is not known, then an Autopsy is compulsory to establish the exact cause of death, even though it may appear obvious, together with any other mitigating circumstances, ie inteference, medications etc.

But this is Thailand.

My wife died suddenly in her sleep. No existing medical conditions. She was a 'young' 55.

The police called round to investigate 'the crime scene'.

Foul play was ruled out.

The hospital said that there would need to be an autopsy - at least a week's delay.

That autopsy did not happen.

It was one of a number of scams by the hospital to get more money (government hospital).

You rent the space in the morgue.

As I said, it was one of a number of scams and I am not sure if you do have to pay for the morgue.

If there was an autopsy, her body would not be in the morgue and I would receive a copy of the report.

1 hour ago, tandor said:

A pathologist will not touch a cadavar unless a Life Extinct document has been issued and an order to Conduct a Post Mortem.

In the case of a Medical Practitioner examining the deceased they may be satisfied the person died of Natural Causes and is happy to issue a Death Certificate stating his reasons (ie having had recently seen or been treating the deceased for a disease(s). The Police are then requested to contact the family for more supporting evidence ie medications, witnesses etc and are then asked if they now request a Post Mortem be conducted, sometimes at the families expense.

Yes we are talking the same thing.

The only thing we disagree on is the death certificate. I have never seen a Thai hospital issue a death certificate, only a certificate/letter stating cause of death.

The death is registered at the local amphur and every time I have helped, only the amphur can issue the official death certificate. The temple requires this certificate copied before cremation.

From my embassy (UK) guidance.

”In Thailand, death certificates are issued by the local district office (amphur). They are written in Thai and available at the time of registration. If the death occurred in a hospital, the hospital may be able to liaise with the amphur on behalf of the family.”

Below is an example issued by Phuket Municipality

IMG_2039.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, tandor said:

Simply tie your hands in front..put the noose and shirt over your head..bend over and step through your hands..stand up and kick the chair out.  (A forced suicide could easily be constructed to look plain and easy)

A full examination of the cadaver may have shown abrasions, hand prints and bruising.

Stomach contents, Urinalysis and a full Toxicology analysis will take about one month.

Hopefully there will be some CCTV footage surface to clarify if another was involved.  RIP

What CCTV up in the hills where the Durian Farms are?

7 hours ago, gomangosteen said:

confirmed cctv shows him alone, taking a taxi to the foothills of Tha Sok mountain heading to the plantation.

But none of the reports mention that he was carrying a red chair when he took the taxi.

Of course, he may have taken the chair there on an earlier visit.

On 1/25/2024 at 2:42 PM, roo860 said:

Exactly some right <deleted>in weirdos on here.

It's called gallows humor. And for those of us who live here and near, we can send our condolences to his family and celebrate it was not you or me on the end of the rope. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

But this is Thailand.

My wife died suddenly in her sleep. No existing medical conditions. She was a 'young' 55.

The police called round to investigate 'the crime scene'.

Foul play was ruled out.

The hospital said that there would need to be an autopsy - at least a week's delay.

That autopsy did not happen.

It was one of a number of scams by the hospital to get more money (government hospital).

You rent the space in the morgue.

As I said, it was one of a number of scams and I am not sure if you do have to pay for the morgue.

If there was an autopsy, her body would not be in the morgue and I would receive a copy of the report.

Mortuary fee is usually 200 baht per day.

Ive heard this happening with other cases, recently my Thai BIL collapsed and died in his apartment and was found a day later, he wasn't being treated by any Doctor; the attending Police asked for families phone, rang and asked if they wanted an autopsy..they said they would prefer not to, so Cause of Death was left as Heart Failure.

Similar situation with the bulk of the 'Am Cyanide' cases, with only one autopsy having been done out of 14 deaths. (She obviously knew the system and may have been paying off the hospital to have a doctor issue a false document).

This has caused a lot of concern and authorities are keen to be more diligent, however i doubt this will ever happen unless the family insists, or pays for a private Pathologist to do the Post Mortem.

• Agree 2

13 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

Yes we are talking the same thing.

The only thing we disagree on is the death certificate. I have never seen a Thai hospital issue a death certificate, only a certificate/letter stating cause of death.

The death is registered at the local amphur and every time I have helped, only the amphur can issue the official death certificate. The temple requires this certificate copied before cremation.

From my embassy (UK) guidance.

”In Thailand, death certificates are issued by the local district office (amphur). They are written in Thai and available at the time of registration. If the death occurred in a hospital, the hospital may be able to liaise with the amphur on behalf of the family.”

Below is an example issued by Phuket Municipality

IMG_2039.jpeg

Death Certificate or document stating the Cause of Death is same thing. (I was using terminology from my Australian home state).

Chiang Mai use the same format.

You are doing a fine service for those Brits in need, well done!

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, huberthammer said:

What CCTV up in the hills where the Durian Farms are?

Im talking from his last known abode along the route..he may have been alone, or forcibly abducted or followed.

Mind you durians are a valuable fruit, so CCTV maybe rigged up too..good point!

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, tandor said:

Death Certificate or document stating the Cause of Death is same thing. (I was using terminology from my Australian home state).

Chiang Mai use the same format.

You are doing a fine service for those Brits in need, well done!

Thank you for your comment.

Yes we all use different terminology, which is not only restricted to the countries we come from. I have been involved in many multi agency investigations, in my past life in the UK, and found each agency often have different terms and definitions, for the same thing.

You, seem like me, to help where we can, is just a shame some of the other posters here, lack the ability and knowledge, to use critical thinking of how any investigation is carried out, and embarrass themself with conclusions/statements from the limited information available.

• Agree 1

On 1/25/2024 at 4:03 AM, Bobthegimp said:

Yes, he's dead and his suffering is over. Did you know or care about him when he was alive?  Why the sudden concern now, when it's of no use to anyone? 

Would you prefer 8 pages of idiots writing "RIP", as if the dead guy is reading these comments ?  

People who knew him may read the RIP comments.

And there's no scientific proof either way that dead people can't read our comments on AN. The jury is still out.

• Haha 2