A new freeze in transatlantic relations....

5 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Yea , but is it in a can? 

Please wash your mouth out with soap.

Not far south of King Island is Cape Grim, which has the cleanest air in the world, and hence is used as a baseline for air pollution.

There are probably so many additives in canned cheese it's surprising consumers have not grown an extra eye, or whatever.

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

There are probably so many additives in canned cheese it's surprising consumers have not grown an extra eye, or whatever.

You say that as if it was a bad thing.

I could have used an extra eye during my Bullfight days.

Or even an extra  whatever , come to think of it an extra  whatever would had made me very popular with the ladies. 

4 minutes ago, sirineou said:

You say that as if it was a bad thing.

I could have used an extra eye during my Bullfight days.

Or even an extra  whatever , come to think of it an extra  whatever would had made me very popular with the ladies. 

Not much use having two of something if you did not have four of something else.

Edited by Lacessit

We used to get cheese in a can in army field "Compo" rations. Tins marked " cheese processed, universally known as "cheese possessed"! It was quite good actually, sliced and on top of the tinned beefburgers, gently fried in your mess tin, gave you the carbs and energy to take you all the way to Moscow!

Also very good for fishing, shine a light on the surface of the lake, whistle gently, the fish would come up to see what was what, and you bash em on the head with the tin!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

An American scientist has outraged the British by suggesting their tea would be better with a pinch of salt.

It's like a sack of rice falls down somewhere in China. Who cares? 

4 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

We used to get cheese in a can in army field "Compo" rations. Tins marked " cheese processed, universally known as "cheese possessed"! It was quite good actually, sliced and on top of the tinned beefburgers, gently fried in your mess tin, gave you the carbs and energy to take you all the way to Moscow!

Also very good for fishing, shine a light on the surface of the lake, whistle gently, the fish would come up to see what was what, and you bash em on the head with the tin!

Did you get coffee or tea in your rations?

9 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It's like a sack of rice falls down somewhere in China. Who cares? 

The Brits obviously do. Isolationist Americans would not.

45 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Did you get coffee or tea in your rations?

Both - enough to make two pints of tea and one of coffee per day, plus a sachet of hot chocolate and one of screech (orange juice drink).

Powdered tinned milk and a tin of sugar.

Just now, herfiehandbag said:

Both - enough to make two pints of tea and one of coffee per day, plus a sachet of hot chocolate and one of screech (orange juice drink).

Powdered tinned milk and a tin of sugar.

You were spoilt. What we got as cadets was water, powdered egg, and biscuits. The biscuits were so hard they had to be soaked overnight in water to make them remotely edible. I think they were leftovers from WW 1.

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

You were spoilt. What we got as cadets was water, powdered egg, and biscuits. The biscuits were so hard they had to be soaked overnight in water to make them remotely edible. I think they were leftovers from WW 1.

Bear in mind, we might be living ( outdoors) on "Compo", for several weeks, in a North West European Winter. It came in 10 man, 4 man and 1 man packs, each with a breakfast, lunch and main meal, a bar of chocolate and sweets, even down to toilet paper! 10 man pack fed 10 men for 1 day, 4 man pack 4 for 1 day and so on. 6 menus. Occasional supplement of "fresh" - usually eggs and bread. Even, if it got really cold, a rum ration!

It was good stuff, good quality too!

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, novacova said:

That’s for damn sure, as an American I have never attended a frik’n stuffy British flamingo tea party. I’m a coffee doser, straight black and strong to get me zipping in the morning. I hope you enjoy your s*** in the hair flamingo tea

As a brit , I ve never attended a "frik'n"  flamingo tea party, either. If you could explain what one is, then i would be grateful. You sound a tad angry, maybe you should switch to decaf.  :smile:

Edited by nikmar
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

'Babies Heads' as well.

10 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

Bear in mind, we might be living ( outdoors) on "Compo", for several weeks, in a North West European Winter. It came in 10 man, 4 man and 1 man packs, each with a breakfast, lunch and main meal, a bar of chocolate and sweets, even down to toilet paper! 10 man pack fed 10 men for 1 day, 4 man pack 4 for 1 day and so on. 6 menus. Occasional supplement of "fresh" - usually eggs and bread. Even, if it got really cold, a rum ration!

It was good stuff, good quality too!

I understand the term MRE ( Meals Ready to Eat ) was modified by American soldiers to an alternative meaning, Meals Rejected by Ethiopians.

9 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I understand the term MRE ( Meals Ready to Eat ) was modified by American soldiers to an alternative meaning, Meals Rejected by Ethiopians.

I've eaten MREs. They are quite vile, always a sort of beige paste in a plastic sachet - a bit like baby food. Biggest disadvantage is that there appeared to be no real provision for heating them up. Compo came with little solid fuel (hexamine) stoves. Vehicle crews had cookers, and of course the boiling vessels on armoured vehicles.