US military to investigate 2022 loss of Sukhothai corvette vessel

snoop1130

Screenshot-2024-01-26-154133.png

The Navy is to let the US military to investigate the cause of the sinking of the US-built Sukhothai Rattanakosin-class corvette vessel in the seas off Prachuap Khiri Khan province in December of 2022, as requested by the Joint US Military Advisory Group Thailand (JUSMAGTHAI), Admiral Adung Phan-iam, commander-in-chief of the RTN, said today.

JUSMAGTHAI wrote two letters to the Thai Navy reminding it to comply with the terms of the US-Thai military agreement pertaining to the acquisition of US-made military hardware.

Admiral Adung said that the US team, which will conduct an undersea survey of the sunken vessel, will arrive in Thailand with US troops, who will participate in the Cobra Gold military exercise in February.

Caption: The US-built Sukhothai Rattanakosin-class corvette vessel

Full story: Thai PBS 2024-01-26

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

"Over a year since the sinking, the Navy is yet to disclose its own findings about the cause of the ship’s loss."

How to save face with incompetence?

Get China to search the craft and present an excuse that would avoid embarrassing the Thai navy. And China can search for US tech in the ship and be motivated to deliver the Thai navy's submarine at a lower price than original purchase?

• Haha 2

I think I remember the RTN's explanation was that a portal wasn't fastened  before the boat departed for a short trip from Chonburi to Sattahip for some upcoming celebration. Storm? I don't remember that in the explanation at all; it was operator error from the start. I wonder if the USN will continue to sell to the RTN?

• Confused 2
  • Agree 2

10 minutes ago, cncltd1973 said:

I think I remember the RTN's explanation was that a portal wasn't fastened  before the boat departed for a short trip

Was does an internet "portal" have to do with the sinking of a ship?

• Confused 3

33 minutes ago, cncltd1973 said:

I think I remember the RTN's explanation was that a portal wasn't fastened  before the boat departed for a short trip from Chonburi to Sattahip for some upcoming celebration. Storm? I don't remember that in the explanation at all; it was operator error from the start. I wonder if the USN will continue to sell to the RTN?

Probably because it's revenues and if the idiots at the other end keep sinking = more revenues.

1 hour ago, cncltd1973 said:

The Thai navy has not released any information on their findings of what happened.

On 1/26/2024 at 6:46 PM, herfiehandbag said:

1) Unstable (top heavy) due to extensive "after fit" of additional weapon systems.

2) Poor seamanship in heavy seas.

Or maybe just another American lemon like Boeing 737 Max

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, cncltd1973 said:

Storm? I don't remember that in the explanation

"A flagship Royal Thai Navy warship sank amid strong waves and high winds on Sunday, with dozens of sailors still missing on Monday.

More than 100 sailors were rescued on Sunday evening from HTMS Sukhothai – one of just seven navy corvettes – after high winds made the boat tilt sharply toward the water, navy spokesperson Pokkrong Monthatphalin said in a statement.

Seawater flowed into the ship through a pipe, cutting off the Sukhothai’s power and causing the crew to lose control, Monthatphalin said. Water then rushed into the hull and the boat began to capsize.

The vessel was patrolling about 32km (20 miles) from Bang Saphan District in central Thailand at the time. Storms had been expected in the Gulf of Thailand, with ferry services suspended after meteorologists warned of high waves and heavy rain on Sunday and Monday".

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/dec/19/thai-warship-sinks-heavy-seas-sailors-rescued-missing-htms-sukhothai

There used to be a couple of phrases used in bad weather.

"Batten down the hatches", another one was, "Close all watertight doors".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porthole

A porthole on a ship may also be called a sidescuttle or side scuttle (side hole), as officially termed in the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea. This term is used in the U.S. Code of Federal Regulations.[3] It is also used in related rules and regulations for the construction of ships.[4] The use of the word "sidescuttle" instead of "porthole" is meant to be broad, including any covered or uncovered hole in the side of the vessel.

A deadlight is a hinged metal cover which can be clamped over the porthole to secure it in heavy weather.

35 minutes ago, billd766 said:

There used to be a couple of phrases used in bad weather.

"Batten down the hatches", another one was, "Close all watertight doors".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porthole

A porthole on a ship may also be called a sidescuttle or side scuttle (side hole), as officially termed in the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea. This term is used in the U.S. Code of Federal Regulations.[3] It is also used in related rules and regulations for the construction of ships.[4] The use of the word "sidescuttle" instead of "porthole" is meant to be broad, including any covered or uncovered hole in the side of the vessel.

A deadlight is a hinged metal cover which can be clamped over the porthole to secure it in heavy weather.

Us simple pongoes refer to them as windows.

Although of limited intellect, and primarily concerned with carrying heavy weights, we do understand that it is generally advisable to keep them firmly closed when bobbing around on the oggin"!

13 minutes ago, rickudon said:

I did hear that a previous hull breech was repaired using concrete. Thai improvisation.

Theory #2 - sticky rice reinforced with strips of split bamboo.

Jokes aside, it will be interesting to read what the independent US investigation reveals, if that outcome is ever made public.

I suspect it may be classed as a national security matter as a way to keep it under wraps.

Edited by gomangosteen