advise needed. visarun. got rejected on airport

Congrats on getting back in and not to high jack the thread but ....

I am on an METV.  Coming to the end of my 60 days + 30 days extension.  I want to go to Cambodia or the Phillipines for a week before returning to Thailand for 2 months before going home.  I am worried about what might happen on the return to BKK. I stayed around 6 months last year on regular tourist visas too and did get some grilling coming into BKK this time.   Am I best returning to Thailand by land or by Chiang Mai or a week out and back to Bangkok by air on my METV will likely be OK?

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, sampson said:

I am on an METV.  Coming to the end of my 60 days + 30 days extension.  I want to go to Cambodia or the Phillipines for a week before returning to Thailand for 2 months before going home

So after this trip to either Philippines or Cambodia your METV would still be valid and you reenter using that visa? 

If so should be no issue.

34 minutes ago, sampson said:

I am on an METV.  Coming to the end of my 60 days + 30 days extension.  I want to go to Cambodia or the Phillipines for a week before returning to Thailand for 2 months before going home.  I am worried about what might happen on the return to BKK. I stayed around 6 months last year on regular tourist visas too and did get some grilling coming into BKK this time.   Am I best returning to Thailand by land or by Chiang Mai or a week out and back to Bangkok by air on my METV will likely be OK?

the "grilling" sounds familiar 👻 got that last year to.. maybe they have some quota for this kind of tourists there.. 

would avoid Bangkok and when you go Cambodia anyway.. that bus tour was ok and smooth in all. from phillies i would take chiang mai. that was the first advice i got in here.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

So after this trip to either Philippines or Cambodia your METV would still be valid and you reenter using that visa? 

If so should be no issue.

IMG_20240214_165321.jpg

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/14/2024 at 4:16 PM, sampson said:

Come back by land.

• Like 2

On 2/3/2024 at 6:48 AM, popel said:

does someone got a TR visa in vietnam recently? airport staff suggesting that.. 

I received 60 TR basic tourist visa in Hanoi in December 2023.

Embassy website has a list of requirements, bank statements of last 6 months, hotel reservation or rental contract.

I had with me printed rental contract with Thai building management, contract was for 60 days stay, seemed more than enough, since many embassies want to see any reservation, I have friends who printed 1 night hotel booking, buy not in Vietnam embassy or consulate.

To my surprise, nice Thai lady at Hanoi embassy went through all the papers, including ticket out of Thailand. 

But.

Ticket out of Thailand is 11 days after my 60 days rental agreement ends. I never thought to ask my building manager to write up rental agreement to include the very last day of my Thailand stay.

She wouldn't budge. I tried to explain that I may plan to visit other countries, nope, need rental agreement until my flight date out of Thailand.

I thought this is it, no visa, but after speaking to my building, they kindly draw up rental agreement up to my last day in Thailand.

With new rental agreement she was happy and I got visa the next afternoon.

This has never happened to me before in over 15 years travel during winter months in Thailand. Had the building manager not responded or refused to make changes in contract, I would have walked away with no Thai visa.

Maybe this is is normal business in Hanoi embassy, but their website does not stipulate that reservations in Thailand need to cover the stay until the very last day, the day of flight out of Thailand.

This seems so dumb. How we winter travellers know how long I stay in Thailand, maybe I'll exit Thailand after 2 weeks and decide Vietnamis is all together nicer place.

Maybe someone finds this information useful.

• Thanks 1

On 2/13/2024 at 7:50 PM, Gottfrid said:

I will help you understand. He pointed out, if you follow the visa rules of each country. That means you have to know them and understand them. You say, it happened to a German guy on 3 tourist visas in a row???? So, that was only a result of him not understanding and following rules. Get it now?

What rules did he brake with 3 tourist visas? Where in Thai law does it say how many days can a tourist do touristy things, like travel in Thailand?

I have visited Thailand using 5 tourist visas with only weeks in neighbouring countries between them. This is lawful. 

He did not break any immigration laws. 

Do not make baseless accusations, words have meaning, especially in Thailand. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, whitemouse said:

All valid points. I simply did not know specifics of embassy and consulates in Vietnam, counting on having all the paperwork won't raise any issues. But it did. Hanoi embassy website does not stipulate that in order to apply for 60 days TR one needs a reservation to cover the whole period of stay.

To add to list, but this information may be dated and hopefully someone can join and confirm, Kuala Lumpur embassy is the absolute worst. It is the only embassy I walked out without a visa. 20 winters in Thailand, 6 months out of the year, nothing like this has happened before and since.

Kuala Lumpur experience was few years ago and may have changed now.

They have list of all necessary paperwork on their web site, that includes recent bank statement. 

So I walked in, only to be told that the bank statement needs to be issued by mu bank in Europe, with s stamp and branch manager signature. I had with me only screen print that shows balance. I though at first she probably made a mistake,  maybe I misunderstood her, something must be lost in translation. But no, they wouldn't budge. A little man joined embassy lady behind protective glass and yelled 'Bank letter, mister! Bank stamp, mister! Bank signature, mister!'

I tried to explain that my bank is in Sweden, how can I get this letter for you. Nothing. This has been the only time I walked out of embassy with no visa. All the fun of extreme humidity, uncomfortably high heat, 1 week wasted. 

Should have consulted here before going. 

Thanks for the report. Really helpful.

I had an idea of applying from KL some time in the future, but after reading that ... no chance. It is very frustrating that it has come to this. Most tourist visa applications only need a screenshot of your bank and thats that. In Sweden (where I apply from aswell), they even removed this requirement completely a few months ago.

1 hour ago, whitemouse said:

What rules did he brake with 3 tourist visas? Where in Thai law does it say how many days can a tourist do touristy things, like travel in Thailand?

I have visited Thailand using 5 tourist visas with only weeks in neighbouring countries between them. This is lawful. 

He did not break any immigration laws. 

Do not make baseless accusations, words have meaning, especially in Thailand. 

You can see it how you wish to see it. If you stay in Thailand more than 180 days, you are considered a tax-resident. Something that means you are basically living in the country. Therefore, they will no longer see you as a tourist. Something that will also mean you should obtain another visa that is to be seen as the right choice for such purpose.

Please call it baseless if you want. Up to you!

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

You can see it how you wish to see it. If you stay in Thailand more than 180 days, you are considered a tax-resident. Something that means you are basically living in the country. Therefore, they will no longer see you as a tourist. Something that will also mean you should obtain another visa that is to be seen as the right choice for such purpose.

Please call it baseless if you want. Up to you!

Another dumb comment. Why would Thailand or any other country object to having more tax residents?

If a tourist becomes a tax resident thanks to staying in Thailand for "too long", that has no effect on their immigration status whatsoever, and the tax man can collect what's due.

It's worth noting that you would become a tax resident even in case you entered Thailand illegally or in case you've overstayed. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Caldera said:

Another dumb comment. Why would Thailand or any other country object to having more tax residents?

If a tourist becomes a tax resident thanks to staying in Thailand for "too long", that has no effect on their immigration status whatsoever, and the tax man can collect what's due.

It's worth noting that you would become a tax resident even in case you entered Thailand illegally or in case you've overstayed. 

Where do they object to anything? The only thing that is needed, is the right permission to stay long time in Thailand. You are just another one that fail to understand it´s called tourist visa for a reason.

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Confused 3

On 2/14/2024 at 11:16 AM, sampson said:

It's quite sad when someone on a proper visa (METV was designed specifically for long stays) is worried about being let in. I don't know if things have changed since then, but back in 2019 I had two back-to-back METV visas - never any issues or questions just stamped right in. I did make sure to stay a few weeks out between every entry though - not just a short visa run. A week is probably ok but if you made it 2 or 3 it would "look" better. I'm sure they look at how long you're out of the country between each entry and a genuine tourist pattern is preferable.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, whitemouse said:

No. It is not how I choose to see it. Thailand has laws. OP can stay as a tourist as long as Thailand allows him.

I'm staying here every winter for 6 months as a tourist.

You may think that only 2 week package holiday makers are tourists, most likely because before your retirement you couldn't take 6 months holidays.  I can. I am a tourist in Thailand for 6 months, lawfully.

Exactly! As long as Thailand allows him. So, if not allow there is no problem then. Why so many oppose that thing then? You know, I prefer to know that I will be able to enter Thailand. However, if you guys like the gamble, and take a chance. Up to you. Must be fun to be rejected at the border or an airport. Even better, feel the need to ask for a friendly airport, because deep inside one knows the overuse of tourist visas.

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/21/2024 at 6:34 AM, Gottfrid said:

Where do they object to anything? The only thing that is needed, is the right permission to stay long time in Thailand. You are just another one that fail to understand it´s called tourist visa for a reason.

As a matter of interest, did you consider the Special Tourist Visa, provided during Covid and allowing a 270-day stay to be a tourist visa? Were people using it tourists?

In your view, is someone who stays from August until April of the following year on tourist visas a valid tourist (not resident for tax purposes) but someone who stays from January to July not a valid tourist?

When is a regular single or multiple entry tourist visa a "valid" visa, and where can the rules that document this be found? I have always considered that any visa issued by an embassy or consulate is valid, and ought only to be abrogated by Immigration subject to Section 12 of the Immigration Act (a policy followed by almost all land crossings and some airports, but ignored by some Immigration officials elsewhere).

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

I would definately go back to Europe. It will avoid having to deal with all the hostility and rudness sometimes in many immigration or government offices in Thailand. Not all of them, but quite a few unfortunately.

• Love It 1

3 minutes ago, Sigmund said:

I would definately go back to Europe. It will avoid having to deal with all the hostility and rudness sometimes in many immigration or government offices in Thailand. Not all of them, but quite a few unfortunately.

Come on Sigmund, spill the beans.

For a few hours now you have been posted in every thread you can find about foreigners getting scammed.

Have you been taken for a ride?

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, BritTim said:

As a matter of interest, did you consider the Special Tourist Visa, provided during Covid and allowing a 270-day stay to be a tourist visa? Were people using it tourists?

In your view, is someone who stays from August until April of the following year on tourist visas a valid tourist (not resident for tax purposes) but someone who stays from January to July not a valid tourist?

When is a regular single or multiple entry tourist visa a "valid" visa, and where can the rules that document this be found? I have always considered that any visa issued by an embassy or consulate is valid, and ought only to be abrogated by Immigration subject to Section 12 of the Immigration Act (a policy followed by almost all land crossings and some airports, but ignored by some Immigration officials elsewhere).

Whatever! Some airports and checkpoints follow the rules and some not. Is it really worth testing once luck all the time. As I see it, Thailand does not offer that much attraction that people would fight and try and try like this over and over again. It´s just plain stupid. What the law and rules state is not relevant in Thailand, as you can just be in the wrong place at the wrong time, which means you will be denied entry. Pushing tourist visas is just 100 % silly.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/23/2024 at 4:30 PM, tjintx said:

Hah, 42 includes everything (including every possible necessary visa).

The mice never got around to determining the ultimate answer to life, the universe and everything, excluding visas.

• Haha 2

On 2/21/2024 at 2:03 PM, Gottfrid said:

Exactly! As long as Thailand allows him. So, if not allow there is no problem then. Why so many oppose that thing then? You know, I prefer to know that I will be able to enter Thailand. However, if you guys like the gamble, and take a chance. Up to you. Must be fun to be rejected at the border or an airport. Even better, feel the need to ask for a friendly airport, because deep inside one knows the overuse of tourist visas.

After 400+ days in Thailand in 2022-23, I'm happy that Thailand still consider me a tourist despite your definition of "get the right visa" 😆 

20240229_101035.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

First of all thanks to the OP for his PM's and not to hijack his thread but I thought I would update on my post above.

I spent 90 days in Thailand on my METV, went to Cambodia for 6 nights and then came back into the Thailand at the Cham Yeam crossing.

I travelled from Phnom Penh to Trat with the same company called Virak Buntham, who I would recommend.  Not perfect but OK.  Road from Phnom Penh to Koh Kong is rough, mostly dirt and gravel but I guess it's nothing that should put you off.

It is a very quiet border, there were around 10 people on the minibus and maybe a couple of other people who made their own way.  1 unofficial guy trying to take over who was friendly with both the Cambodian side and Thai checkpoint crew but I fobbed him off. It took 2-3 minutes to stamp out of Cambodia then walk over to the Thai side, fill out TM6 and then was stamped in without so much as a word from the IO.  7/11 and Amazon on the Thai side and then a 30 minute or so wait for the van for the hour or so trip to Trat.  Virak Buntham will take you all the way to Bangkok if you want though.

I'd recommend it as a place to cross, it was very easy.

• Thanks 2

On 2/29/2024 at 7:32 AM, Pattaya57 said:

After 400+ days in Thailand in 2022-23, I'm happy that Thailand still consider me a tourist despite your definition of "get the right visa" 😆 

20240229_101035.jpg

Surely it will come to an end. When is hard to know, but it will happen.

44 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Surely it will come to an end. When is hard to know, but it will happen.

Meanwhile, I'm still officially a Thailand  "Tourist" despite you saying people like me should get the right visa 😀

Had some grief last year at BKK while entering on Visa exempt. Pulled aside and asked questions. It was disconcerting but probably overdue. Had a lot of covid extensions and an expired B visa from a brief period of employment here. Also a handful of visa exempt entries from that year. 

Flown in twice to Phuket this year with “minimal” questioning on Visa exempt and plan to take a 2 month break From Thailand to get a tourist Visa from UK (will then not visit Thailand again until 2025) Hope I don’t get any problems next time around. 

Would recommend avoiding BKK

There is no “proper Visa” I can get, before anyone starts. 

• Thanks 1